wow I didn't know you could do that!

by Lady Lee 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ok right after I got back from the conference my desktop computer died an ugly death. So I have been struggling on with my laptop which really isn't up to all the things I like to do at the same time.

So I bit the bullet and went out and bought another computer. Got a real deal because I didn't want their hard drive. I was quite happy with my 200GB drive vs their 1.5. I didn't need their version of Win XP Pro because I have my own. Didn't need their 1 G of RAM when I have 4 just waiting to slide into their sockets.

I was prepared to have to reformat my drive and install every one of my programs.

Technology is pretty damned good sometimes.

Put all the pieces together and instead of asking to install Windows it just went on ahead and started up. I did have to add a D-Link card for my ethernet. This is the second computer that I have had that really does not like the onboard ethernet.

Anyways. Nothing is lost. I don't have to reinstall anything.

They just want me to authenticate Windows again. I am doing the happy dance.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL!!@ ((Lady Lee!!))..

If anyone Deserves a Decent Computer it`s You..

I`m Happy for You Too..

.............................. ...OUTLAW

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If only those teckkies at the shop could see this little ole granny sliding out of my wheelchair, sitting on the floor with computer parts everywhere around me. I doubt too many would believe I could put it all back together again. AND make it work.

ah the joy. My huge screen. My ergonomic keyboard. My desk.

Laptops are cool and all but working on one that sits on a TV table -- nope not for me.

Someone was showing me her her phone with a tiny flip out keyboard. That would just about send my around the bend. I would need a magnifying glass and a spotlight to see what I was doing -- and splints for my hands at night due to all the tapping out on that tiny thing. Tennis elbow for thumbs.

No this granny likes big screens that I can see and a big keyboard so my typing isn't too too bad

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

btw I think the onlky true way to get a decent computer is to build it yourself

• sizemik
    sizemik

I would concur with that. My 16 yr old built his from scratch . . . you could probably run the federal reserve with it now. Most componentry is easily interchangeable now, just plug and play . . . and the software seems to know what to do all by itself.

It's nice when everything comes together . . . no bugs.

• Aware!
    Aware!

And I've heard it's cheaper.

I was prepared to have to reformat my drive and install every one of my programs.

I hate it when that happens. It takes me a day when I have to reformat my computer and reinstall drivers and programs.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

now get an ipad! you gonna love it!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Aware! It doesn't take as long as it used to. Ever try installing a modem on a 386? Is that what those old things are. Gosh my first computer didn't even have a hard drive. That was an 8088 and we thought we were speeding across the universe. You had to save everything on the big old floppy discs - back in the dark ages when they really were floppy.

It generally takes me a day to reistall everything and then you have to get it all set up. Again. I didn't even lose any of my favorite links this time

An iPad? I'm still reveling in my e-reader

• Aware!
    Aware!

Ever try installing a modem on a 386?

It sounds complicated. I only know how to reformat my computer. Other than that, I'm a total noob.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I built a new tower earlier this year. It's the only way to really get what I want.

I LOVE having two monitors and am thinking about upping to 4. Now I can have JWN up on one screen all the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit