Why you love America

by jamesmahon 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Bourbon & guns, but never at the same time.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

Hmm.....What I like best about America....

The greenery in some parts. The action figures. OH MY GOD! Awesome! The language....The movies, video games etc. The comic books. The prices on such things. And GUNS!

That is about it. Everything else sucks. High prices on health care, properties, you name it.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

King Solomon said:

Without doubt, the BEST thing about America, bar none, is our Constitution/Bill of Rights/Declaration of Independence, documents upon which all of our citizen's freedoms are based: freedom of speech, religion, assembly, right to peaceable protest, right to bear arms, separation of church and state, etc. While they're not necessarily unique documents, they were revolutionary at the time they were written by offering an alternative to other forms of government that inextricably combined religion with government.

I have to agree with KS. That is what I like about Ameica BEST. I love America because it is my home. I love the fact that we have an independent spirit, we work hard, and we know how to play hard and have fun. We love

sports; Football (Super Bowl Sunday, Baseball (The World Series), Basketball, and I can't forget Golf. I love Hollywood's movies, NYC (which I have not visited yet, but I will soon) and it's plays, Chicago, LA, Dallas, Denver,

Seattle, Boston, Sant Fe, New, Orleans, Miami, all our wonderful and great cities and their people. I once wrote a paper about America being, not a melting pot, but more like a wonderful stew full of different flavors that

blend and give flavor to the whole but with each ingredient retaining it's unique flavor (culture). I would like to visit other countries, but I could never live anywhere else. Oh, I love the Great State of Texas and the Sooners too.

I was born and bred in Texas and graduated from Oklahoma State University. OH, I forgot our Music, We have the greatest music and musicians around!

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Why you love America

America is hung low.

• designs
    designs

When we travel around this Country, and we should, we get a sense of the history that has taken place. The vast geological ages and the arrival of the first humans after the last Ice Age. The Grand Canyon is a must and Yellow Stone and Yosemite, the Mesa Cliff Dwellings, and the Carlsbad Caverns. I visited the 1st Synagogue in the US in Rhode Island and sites of the Revoluntionary War. I've seen coal barges on the Allegany River in Pittsburgh. Pikes Peak where my great grandfather was a RXR engineer and road on the Durango Narrow Gauge Railroad. The Golden Gate Bridge and Hoover Dam from the inside. Flyfishing on the Big Piney River. Met the daughter of slane Civil Rights Leader Medgar Evers and marched for Peace with the grandson of Mahatma Ghandi, and sang with Pete Seeger.

"I would like to see every single soldier on every single side just take off your helmet, unbuckle your kit, lay down your rifle, and sit along side some shady lane and say 'nope I ain't gonna kill nobody'. There are plenty of rich people who want to fight. Give them the guns."

Woody Guthrie

Where Have All The Flowers Gone

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The right to bear arms...

• botchtowersociety
  • botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    The right to bear arms...

• dgp
    dgp

It is always difficult for a Latin American not in the left to praise America. He who does it is seen as an Uncle Tom cabineer, as if there were nothing deserving praise. May my being a Latin American, sometimes very vocal in critizicing the United States, add to what I will say.

From among those who have posted so far, I would like to copy and paste the following:

King Solomon

Without doubt, the BEST thing about America, bar none, is our Constitution/Bill of Rights/Declaration of Independence, documents upon which all of our citizen's freedoms are based: freedom of speech, religion, assembly, right to peaceable protest, right to bear arms, separation of church and state, etc. While they're not necessarily unique documents, they were revolutionary at the time they were written by offering an alternative to other forms of government that inextricably combined religion with government.

Band on the Run

The most important part to me is the American character.

And I'm putting this together not just because they were posted, but because together they make sense.

Many countries in Latin America were modeled after the United States. The (wrong) idea was that it was just a matter of copying the federal system and laws for countries of very dissimilar origin to succeed just like the United States was succeeding. We all know that the results were always disappointing, to say the least. But, why?

People keep going to the United States because it's a country where you can get ahead if you have ideas and you are willing to work hard. I can't resist mentioning the astronaut, whose name escapes me now, who said he'd still be picking tomatoes if his family had chosen to stay in Mexico, as opposed to moving and working as agricultural workers in the United States, where their child became a self-made man. That was because they moved to live in a country where the right environment exists for people to improve their own lot.

People of similar descent moved to Argentina and made it the most succesful country in Latin America ever. But a different environment led to a very different result. It was not a matter of laws only, or a matter of people only, but a combination of the two.

I bet some of you have crossed "the line" that separates the US and Mexico. The difference is just overwhelming. Some of us see it with envy, some with anger, some blame exclusively the United States for our lot, but the contrast forces some of us to think about just why we don't live like that. And we come to the conclusion that it's the people and the system those people live in that explains it all. We can't be just the same, but we do have a model to follow and to criticize.

The spirit and the environment are what is greatest about America.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I love the diversity of landscapes, dialects, cultures even within a city or state, region and beyond.

Baseball. From tee ball on up through the major league and softball.

Music. Rock and Roll, Rock-a-Billy, the Blues, Jazz, Zydeco, Country and Western. Gems like Randy Newman who write great pop music and great classical music scores like for the movie The Natural.

High School Marching Band and Colorguard shows at the Friday night football games.

The food cultures of the different regions.

Our unique African American cultures.

The American south. I was born and raised between Mobile, Alabama on the Gulf of Mexico, Southeast Louisiana in Cajun Country and the Atlanta, GA suburbs. Our great old southern cities like Williamsburg, VA, Charleston, SC, Savannah,GA, Mobile AL, New Orleans, LA. I love all the Civil War battlegrounds, cemeteries and memorials that give memory to the North and South.

The Great Lakes region and maritime culture. The Great Lakes are inland freshwater seas with sandy beaches, sand dunes, seagulls and lighthouses, riptides and seafaring ships and yachts.

The Great Southwestern culture.

Native American culture and history. My great paternal grandfather was full blooded native. So we were very happy to live near the Etowah Indian Mounds in Bartow County Georga. My kids and I spent a lot of time there. The Taos Pueblo and the Alabama Indian reservation. It's all so spiritual and Earthy.

Our farmlands. Michigan is full of beautiful, rolling farmland and quaint farmhouses and classic red barns.

Route 66.

The Beach Boys and the surf culture.

Hawaii. Got to live there on Oahu for most of a year. Amazing. I loved it once I got used to the isolation of it all. It's the most remote place on earth. And the locals view it as their country, though they do know they are a state, they wish for indepdence.

The memories.

I have to say though, there are people, even in my native south that I cannot understand.

I lived in Alabama, Lousiana three times and cities, Georgia three times and five towns or cities, spent a summer each in Maryland and Virginia, a brief time in Wisconsin, Chicago Illinoid twice, East and West Texas, Oahu, Michigan twice, spent three months in Connecticut and commuted to Rhode Island to work and paid Rhode Island and Michigan taxes at the same time. I've lived in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit