Books and movies that have influenced you since learning the truth about the Truth

by JimmyPage 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

For me it has been a journey through these books: "Crisis of Conscience", "In Search of Christian Freedom", "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds", "I'm Perfect You're Doomed", "Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Jerk", "Evolution for Dummies", "The God Delusion", "God is Not Great", and "The End of Faith", along with various books about Zen philosophy.

These movies have also been important: "Religulous" and "Worlds Apart".

Some books I am interested in reading next are "The Spanking Room", "Growing Up in Mama's Club", and "1984". Who has read these? Do you recommend them?

What else has been of help to you?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Highly recommended are PBS videos available on their website (PBS.org). All of the Nature stuff, and the Nova series. Standouts are Nova's "What Darwin Never Knew" and "Judgment Day- Intelligent Design On Trial" Galileo's Battle for the Heavens". "Secrets of the Dead" series has some shows on Bible translations that was interesting...

"1984" is required reading (heh, I remember reading it when it was still set I the distant future!), as WTBTS are obviously big fans of Newspeak...

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I enjoyed the documentary "The Buddha" on PBS. They also did a series about the Mormons that was pretty interesting as well, especially the way former members were treated.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The bible!

Seriously.... That Jah-hoo-ha is evil. I kept picturing an evil dictator the more i read. The false potrayal of a loving fatherly figure who would right your every wrong..... Well he must be in another bible.

Despite being a bit of an evil atheist, i have just finished a wonderful and inspirational book that happens to have a religious flavour to it. Its an inspirational read about the pursuit of your lifes dream. The book is called "The Alchemist" im sure a few of you have read it already.

Snare x

• havenofear
    havenofear

Books

The Road Less Traveled by Scott Peck

The Myth of Certainty by Daniel Taylor

The Agnostic Christian by Leslie D. Weatherhead

Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today by N. T. Wright

Documentaries

The Story of God

God In America

Expelled No Intelligence Allowed

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

"Crisis of Conscience" really helped me see the corruption of the WTS.

The movie "Religulous" knocked the scales from my eyes with regard to the specialness of Christianity.

Another movie, "What the Bleep Do We Know?" helped expand my horizons.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• James Brown
    James Brown

I lked the movie "What dreams may come" with Robin Williams

"The Matrix"

"The Bible"

"On The Road" Jack Kerouac Book

"Slave Species of God" Michael Tillinger Book

The Richest Man in Babylon Book by Classon

• Giordano
    Giordano

The only book I had available in the late 1950's was Eric Hoffer's 'The True Believer' That and some common sense had me and my wife walking away in the mid 1960's. The fact that he never mentioned the JW"S at all showed me that they were easily recognized as just another high control group. Hoffer's book and some common sense had me and my wife walking away in the mid 1960's.

Sample: " Here, as elsewhere, the technique of a mass movement aims to infect people with a malady and then offer the movement as a cure."

"Unification is more a process of diminution than of addition. In order to be assimilated into a collective medium a person has to be deprived of free choice and independent judgment. Many of his natural bents and impulses have to be suppressed or blunted. All these are acts of diminution."

• 00DAD
    00DAD

A couple of titles that come to mind in addition to those already mentioned:

Books:

Movie: The Shunning - It's about an Amish girl that is shunned by her family and community. JWs will recognize familiar themes.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Robert Pirsig

The Demon Haunted World- Carl Sagan

CoC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit