Need Clarification RE: Candice Conti Case

by What Now? 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• What Now?
    What Now?

Hi everyone,

I was just looking over some of the documents from the Candice Conti case and just need something clarified.

In the letter dated August 31, 1998 from the Freemont elders to the branch, they answered the question "How is he viewed in the community/authorities" with "legal authorities contacted, police report made, no action taken by courts, community unaware". It appears from this letter that the brothers did in fact contact the authorities and they chose to take no action.

This leaves me a little confused as to what exactly the society is at fault for here. Is the issue that they didn't notify members of the congregation, which allowed Jonathan Kendrick to molest his victim? From what I've discussed with others about this (see my previous posts about my emails back and forth with my sisters), you cannot actually disclose this type of imformation (or maybe that's just here in Canada?). In a case that was dealt with in a congregation I attended, apparently the brothers did go to the authorities and he was convicted in court before he was disfellowshipped.

Anyways, I would really appreciate some help on this! Thanks in advance!

• blondie
    blondie

So where did you read that...do you a link to that?

• What Now?
    What Now?

My apologies, should have included that in my original post.

I pulled it off of Cedar's blog article "JW.org On Alert! Anonymous Attacks the Watchtower". The letter in question is about a third of the way down.

Here are excerpts from an email from an elder that my sister contacted when we were having a conversation over email a few weeks ago (Mind you, I live in Canada so the legal requirements may be different from the States):

As soon as anyone suspects there is an inappropriate problem, it is to be reported immediately to the police and to the branch office. After that takes place, the local congregation elders are not involved in the investigation at all. That makes sense since elders aren't trained to investigate crimes. The branch and the local police have qualified people to carry out this task. Failure to follow this procedure can result in discipline (both in the congregation and legally) of the elder who received the allegation because of his mishandling of the situation. Failure to report is also a crime under Section 4(1) of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancements Act.

Legally, the elders are unable to do anything further to "warn" the congregation. This is both to protect the child as well as the accused. All information is protected both by section 48 the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, as well as section 126 of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancements Act. Following a successful conviction, elders can choose to warn parents with children they feel are at risk. However, a prudent parent can find the information in their municipality's public records of conviction

• What Now?
    What Now?

Sorry here is the link to Cedars' blog post:

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/jw-org-on-alert-anonymous-attacks-the-watchtower

• aposta-Z
    aposta-Z

Super lurker attempting a post here:

the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act is available here:
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90f31_e.htm

I fail to see how section 48 (Requests and manner of access) fits the bill. Could I be lost in LEGAL speak?!

Child, Youth and Family Enhancements Act:
    http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/C12.pdf

Now this is applicable only in Alberta but I believe other jurisdictions all have similiar acts. But this is to protect the kid NOT the accused as the elder stated.

Also he said: " it is to be reported immediately to the police and to the branch office." Well has per Sheperd The Flock (2010, elder secret handbook) they must contact the branch office immediatly for instructions. No mention there about calling the police.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I'm guessing the abuse was before that. The first case was in 1993 against his daughter and he was removed as a MS. I believe it was shortly after that when he abused Candice. Later on, he abused the daughter of a study who's family immediately filed a police report to which the above letter addresses.

I'm pretty sure that was the case. For Candice, they didn't report it or warn the congregation and he went on to reoffend.

This is from memory, so others feel free to correct me if I have this wrong.

Edit: He abused his daughter in 1994 and was convicted of a misdemenor sexual assault.

He went on to abuse Candace from 1995-1996 but it went unreported.

He was caught again for abuse of the child of study in 2004 for which he was convicted again.

The letter above seems to be referencing the 1994 incident, but long after the conviction and after his subsequent abuse of Candice

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Watch for the next set of Videos (Candace Conti Tells Her Story) on YouTube. Rick Simons will explain many of the details and why the court ruled so heavily in Candace's favor.

JV

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Now I am confused. Are you quoting an unnamed elder who gave this info in an email to your sister? It is absolutely incorrect from the docs I've read. If the police were told, I don't see how a jury would find liability, let alone punitive damages.

We don't have a single law in the United States. Every state has its own body of laws. Each territory, colony (Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia has its own law. Most negligence law is state based. There is also an overlay of federal, United States, laws, although they are minimal in this field. Federal law would apply to military bases, federal property, etc. It becomes very confusing.

The Conti case is controversial. The JWs were under no legal duty at the time of the incident top report child abuse. CA is now a mandatory reporting state for child abuse that clergy find out about through nonconfidential settings. The statute still protects clergy/pentinent privilege, as in Roman Catholic confession. The Witnesses claim that Kendrick was entitled to the privilege which woud relieve the WT of any duty to the congregation. The judge ruled that a confession required only one clergy person and must be confidential to be sheltered under the privlege. There were multiple elders involved in this case and many players at Bethel. Kendrick could not rely upon confidentiality with so many actors.

One appealable issue is whether it is lawful to impose a legal duty that did not exist at the time of the incident. Another is the clergy/pentinent privilege. First Amendment concerns arise.Imposing a new legal duty is usually done by state legislatures today. It is a very interesting case.

I saw not a shred of evidence that the police were alerted. If they alerted the police, it makes it very difficult to claim privilege. Besides, I've read many posts here from JWs who left b/c of inaction by elders when child abuse was clearly pointed out to them. I look for details when determining credibility. These accounts seem authentic to me. Most of the time not only were the police not alerted but the elders had to call Bethel Legal Department as their duty and from a public phone. Use of private phones was discouraged. Elders threatened judicail committee action for anyone who reported it to the police. Why such secrecy? Elders are exposed to liability and are not receiving legal advice for their individual concerns. This is exactly the time of incident you want to document to the nth degree for legal protection.

The elder you quote may have a misunderstanding, based on his notions of fair play. The elders' manual and many accounts here are evidence that this policy is not followed. Perhaps a rare congregation follows his advice.

If I am incorrect, I hope that someone with more knowledge will correct me.

• What Now?
    What Now?

Thank you all for replying.

I was unsure which incident this letter was referrring to. If @Paralipomenon what you say is correct, I wonder why the first incident was reported, but not the one involving Candice?

@Band on the Run - Sorry for the confusion. The incident I was referring to where the elders notified the police, happened in my own congregation. I was wondering if this is because that is a legal requirement in Canada (where I live). You can see the entire email correspondance in the following thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/227652/1/Emailing-my-sister-RE-Child-abuse-conviction-NEED-HELP

What this elder said in his email does seem to contradict the instructions in the elders manual.

I just want to put this out there ... not sure if it has been covered before, but where were Candice's parents in all of this? Why didn't they report the incident to the police?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Deciding what is the best solution for an abused child must be extraordinarily difficult. Friends who were abused told me that the ensuing trial was even worse than the abuse. Regardless of where her parents were, the WT aided Kendrick by keeping secrets.

Her decision appears to be an adult one and the normal statute of limitations has been altered to allow such suits.

The sad part is that most parents would not be on guard in church settings.

Regardless of legal liability, how could those elders watch Kendrick interact with children, knowing what they knew. It is repugnant. Moral responsibility remains. Nazi war criminals found they could not rely on just following orders. Why did they take his "confession" at face value?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit