neighbor studying with JW's

by loosie 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• loosie
    loosie

If you knew your neighbor was studying with the WJ's what would you do?

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Direct them to jwfacts.com. You can tell them a short version of your story why you left the cult. Do you really want a dub as your neighbor or a neighbor destroying their life and that of their kids and their own family? Warning is appropriate and what they do with the info is upto them.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'd let them know that I used to be a JW, but left because they couldn't really provide satisfying answers to important questions that I couldn't continue to ignore. The JW organization is designed to allow only certain questions to be asked, according to the design of their publications. Often those answers address very limited information and ignore or misstate any facts that contradict their short-sighted world view.

However, some people are evidently happy as JWs. They don't really have to think for themselves and limit their questions to what's printed at the bottom of the page. They live a life that is dedicated to recruiting more people to follow WT. And their greatest hope for the future is to see rocks fall from the sky and smash apart the heads of everyone that is not a JW, including innocent children. But I don't have that kind of religiously motivated terrorist mentality. It creeps me out the way they portray the God of Love as a savage murderer.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I would in no way discourage the study, because that plays right into the Organization's hands. However, I would tell them the illustration of going shopping for a used car and the salesman telling them to only go to their one website and read only their booklets. I would encourage them to also look online for answers and get all sides of the story. Perhaps I would let them borrow Crisis of Conscience if they haven't gotten that far indoctrinated yet.

• pontoon
    pontoon

My disfellowshipped ex-wife used to study with my neighbor, studied a long time but didn't go anywhere. Now, years later neighbor is studying again with someone else, attending meetings, and trying to encourage me to come back to the hall. How wierd is that?

• loosie
    loosie

that's strange Pontoon.

I've seen a jw I recognize in her full length skirt over there bookbag in hand about 3 times now... maybe its not too late.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

I don't talk to my neighbors. They come pet my dog when they think I'm not looking. They all seem nice, but we aren't friends, just quick chit chat if we happen to be outside at same time.

• jemba
    jemba

Living in a small town I deliberately discourage long term RVs that I know and tell them what a horrible cult it was to grow up in. If you are just a fader and want to stay under the radar a printout in their letterbox would be a good idea... maybe entitled "SO YOURE STUDYING TO BECOME A JW". JWfacts has some good ones.

• extractor
    extractor

I have successfully ended TWO different JW studies in the past 6 months. (The key of course is to get them early.)

All I do is sit down with them, go on Cultwatch.com & educate them quickly on the basics of mind control (I also let them "inadvertantly" see the list of cults with JWs on it without mentioning it). I have several WT quotes that demonstrate each characteristic of mind control which I calmly, & unemotionally show them. I also show them the responses from the post on here titled, "Sum up your experience as a JW in one word." I mention it's the #1 exited religion in the country. I also express how I feel sorry for the JWs because they're being lied to.

The response is always, "Oh my! THANK YOU!"

This most likely wouldn't work with an active JW with a brain in "stand by" mode.

• Aware!
    Aware!

extractor: Please share those quotes if you can! It would save a lot of us the homework. I like your strategy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit