How Big is Your Hard Drive?

by teenyuck 34 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

This is serious...I know many of you are serious computer intells...I am a comp user who knows how to set it up and run programs..that is about it...

I am looking to buy a new comp...soon...I have a 400 mhz, pentium II...it locks up, gets fatal errors and simply will not do many things that newer comps can...it is 4 years old.

My question...What type of computer size is best? 80 gig hard drive, 512 DDR SDRAM, 1.8 speed? I know nothing of digial photos, however I want to try...I also like Morpheus and want to get upgraded sound etc. I am looking at Dell or Compaq and want to spend about $1300.

Any advice?

• mindfield
    mindfield

80 gig? Whoah.

I have one 10 gig hard disk, which I use for the main programs, eg. Windows, Office, etc. The other 40 gig hard drive I use for games. At the rate I'm downloading them (oops, did I say that? ) it can get filled up pretty fast.

It all depends on what you're going to use it for... and your internet speed.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Puffsrule,

Comp buff I am not, but I was having similar problems so I re-installed my whole Windows ME and other progs. I put them all on drive C and documents on D, it's great now.

Englishman.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I do have cable internet...Road Runner.

I use it now for INet and Word, Excel...sometimes PowerPoint.

I would like to get a digital camera and try that also. I do not play games, nor does my husband...(computer games at least )

I would like to have good sound for playback on my speakers.

I have reconfigured this computer 3 times now. Put the red disc in, lose all settings and favorites, etc. I at least put my Word and Excel on disc to reload. However, this comp has to go...

• mindfield
    mindfield

Well, with the computer specs you've offered, I don't think you'll have any problems... 1.8 gig...*whistles* Yeah, it should be enough...

Of course, if you have the money, go for it. 1300$ over here isn't that much, but i have to remember you're in the US!

• AlanF
    AlanF

There's no "best" when it comes to computers. It's what you like and what you can afford.

I'm partial to computers with AMD processors rather than Intel. The AMD processor (with AMD's equivalent clock rating to the Pentium 4) is as fast as the Pentium 4 for nearly everything, and about 30% faster doing complex math stuff. The "2000+" model is equivalent to the Pentium 4 2.0 GHz and is quite a bit cheaper. The price difference either saves you money or goes into better components elsewhere. The Pentium 4 today also requires the more expensive "RAMBUS" memory, which you pay for and doesn't give you any real advantage over DDR SDRAM.

Get the biggest hard drive you can afford -- they're damned cheap these days for what you get. DDR SDRAM helps a lot, too, since it's faster than non-DDR memory. Of course, buy as much memory as you can afford, because programs are taking advantage of today's large memory sizes and your machine will often run faster with more memory. If you ever want to process digital photos with an application like Photoshop, you need every Byte you can get.

AlanF

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Alan, thanks...I thought that was the case...my husband wants a 1.8 gig with 80 hard drive and 512 DDR SDRAM...I have researched quite a bit, however, I was looking for laymen's terms for all the geek speek! You explained it much better than sales guys at the stores. We are running Win 98, BTW.

I will look into the AMD...I am going on a shopping mission today...bring the Dell print out and see what all the stores have to offer in Compaq, etc.

I really appreciate the info...I have not done this in 4 years, and comps have changed sooooo much...I would like to burn CD's also, which was a major deal 4 years ago.

• TR
    TR

I agree with Alan. When I upgrade, I will use the AMD processor. Right now though, I've got a 3 year old Gateway with 500MH Pentium 3, 10 gig hard drive, 128 meg RAM, 40X CD, 24X burner, SB AudioPCI 128D sound with Altec Lansing speakers and subwoofer, Voodoo3 16 MB video card, 19" monitor. It really has been a good computer. I've never had any problems with it. If you buy a brand name computer, a Gateway isn't too bad if you have installed what you want.

What I really look forward to in a new computer is a big hard drive.

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Puffs:

"What type of computer size is best?"

80 gig hard drive is great, larger than average. I would have a second hard drive as back-up ... for your documents as Englishman has done ... If you have an 80 Gigabite "C" drive, then have a 10 to 20 Gigabite "D" drive

Get a writable CD - as high a speed as possible. Mine is a slower 40X, but it works well.

"512 DDR SDRAM, 1.8 speed?" If the 512 here referes to megabite for your RAM, then that is good for now.

Not sure what the 1.8 speed is. But your PC spped is determined by two factors ... central processor, which is the commonly popular sped, like 1800 megahertz ... that is great, but your BUS Speed is the key ... if you have 800 MHz bus speed or higher ytou are doing well. Make the sales person at the store tell you the Bus spped in writing ... if he fails ask for the manager because he is eaither a liar or an idiot.

"I know nothing of digial photos"

First, get a digital camera that has a large memory ... this will allow a lot of photos ... and be sure to carry lots of batteries. The "Pixel rating is what you want, as this is your resolution. More is better. After a while, resolution gets good enough, and the extra cost for high resolution may not buy you that much more.

"I also like Morpheus and want to get upgraded sound etc."

I don't know much about the sound side as this is less important to me.

"I am looking at Dell or Compaq and want to spend about $1300. Any advice?"

Stay away from Compaq ... it is an unstable system, and they make too many features under their proprietary design, so interface with other software and parts are not good. Our office manage bought about 8 Compaqs against better advice and every last one of them went into the tank. Big waste of money.

Packard-Bell is a low budget product ... not bad except they still have a bad wrap for moounting the phone modem to the mother board ... and the least bit of jaring and it breaks ...

Dell is okay, but Gateway is just as good and is more cost effective. But a PC magazine and compare.

HP is good but over priced.

IBM is good ... better than Packard-Bell ... not as good as Gateway or Dell ... but a decent buy.

$1,300 price tag should buy you a nice system

Windows XP is a piece shit ... it works, but it requires you to be married to Microsoft ... I have Windows 98, and Windows ME is okay ... but my next change up is to Linux. It is free on line, and is public domain ... so upgrades are contributed by users. I want to get away from Microsoft operating system - as good as it is ... Win XP as noted above was the last straw.

Make sure your system has cable/DSL capability. Phone modems are going the way of the dinosaur fast .... because the local phone companies are like the Catholic Church ... they are taking forever to make needed changes to high-speed lines.

Back up your system every day, or each time you make a new document and save it. Save it on both "C" and "D" drives ... and get a good anti-virus / firewall program, such as Norton/Semantec or Black Ice ... stay away from McAffee ... it ties up too much Himem and Cache memory ... and slows you system ... Norton operates in the background and leave you alone unless you have a problem.

Check for new virus definition everyday ... and scan your system immediately after your Virus updates are downloaded ... there are about 50 new viruses every weekk all year long ... and they can take a big tool on your system, even if they are low-level humor viruses ... The Firewall is absolutely essential ... because people can access your system through backdoor ports while you are online ... and the firewall stops them in their tracks.

Hope all that helps.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Wow Amazing!

The info you gave is great...I do have Norton Anti virus now and I use Zone Alarm for a firewall...

I am going to print this...it is funny you brought up Packard Bell..that was our first computer, about 12 years ago!

On the 1.8 ghz, that is how all the web sites are listing the processor...you can get 1 GHz to 2.2 now. 1.8 GHz seems about mid range now. I am sure if I purchase a 1.8 GHz, by next year a 4.0 GHz will be standard!

All of the sites list the CD-RW as 16x/10x/40x...they also list a 24x/10x/40x for about $80.00 more. What do all those numbers represent? I have never burned a CD but would like to...

I will also ask about the bus speed...I do not see that listed on any of the web sites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit