Reasoning on "It doesn't matter if the FDS are wrong"

by konceptual99 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut
    I will always remember one of my elder friends saying something along the lines of "anyway, even if this wasn't the truth, it's still the best way of life for me and my family".
    I was wondering the other day whether that answer was meant seriously, or was it just a programmed response?

Cedars, it must be programmed, I've heard the same response before. Here's what I hold against it: if the way of life is so great and the hassle and pressure are so wonderful, then why is everyone tired and hoping the end will come tomorrow? Something must be wrong.

Whether the FDS is wrong is a crucial question. If they are, then perhaps we should stop listening to them and stop following. Especially if someone sincerely wants to be a Christian. Perhaps following them won't help us to "make it into the new order". The "where would we go" attitude is bothersome. Peter said that to Jesus. He's the key, not some group or organization. At best a group or organization can help us keep on the way, but they cannot replace or become the way.

After being raised in the truth it's still a strange thing to realize that our life and happiness doesn't depend on belonging to a group. It's going to take a while to get rid of that deeply ingrained thought of "leave and be doomed". Basically the Society wants us to be mature but only teaches and trains us to be fully dependent on it, not thinking and mature people and Christians. Their idea of maturity is surely not what Paul had in mind.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey OODAD!

It is a pleasure, glad you enjoyed it.

I have also enjoyed reading many of your posts.

Best wishes for you and yours

Fernando

• Fernando
    Fernando

Elderette: It is better to be wrong with the Watchtower society than right on your own (false).

CO: If it is not in harmony with divine teaching it is teaching of demons (true).

Combined: It is better to eat at the table of demons with the Watchtower society, than at Jehovah's table on your own.

Go figure!

Spiritually blind idiots...

Some samplings of their contempt for those who would rather eat at Jehovah's table on their own:

*** w52 2/1 p. 81 par. 15 Jehovah’s Theocratic Organization Today ***
    Those who speculate and concoct their own pet theories and set a little spiritual table of their own, or who sit at the Lord’s table but supply little side dishes of their own, and try to get others to taste of them, they are the ones out of step with the theocratic organization, though in their blind conceit they think the slave and the domestics and the other sheep are out of step.

*** w52 9/15 p. 572 par. 22 Loyalty the Test ***
    How awful a calamity befalls those who have been eating spiritual bread and salt at the table of the Lord today as provided by “the faithful and discreet slave”, and then withdraw and set up their own table and hope to draw the Lord with them.

*** w50 8/1 p. 231 par. 17 Serving with the Servant ***
    There are those who try serving up meals for the Lord’s people on their own tables independent of the Lord’s, but it is of no use, for once they have left the Lord’s household and set up housekeeping their food gets stale, and so do they; and, besides, consider the fateful results to those who treat the Lord’s table with contempt.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Thanks Fernando! I am happy to share some thoughts and get to know my brothers!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Sauerkraut: Whether the FDS is wrong is a crucial question.

Except there is no F&DS. It is only the WT leadership which is ostensibly the Governing Body, but also likely a team of lawyers, accountants and other highly influential individuals at the helm of this thing. Then there is the trickle down effect: District Overseers, Circuit Overseers, local Elders ....

No matter what or who is really leading this ship, the question could also be phrased "Whether WT/JW 'Theology' is wrong or not is a crucial question."

If it's wrong, we shouldn't believe it. We certainly shouldn't pretend to believe it when we don't and no one should be sactioned for saying that don't believe something that is wrong or cannot be proved true. This is the real problem with WT/JW Policies, Rules and Practices: JWs are forced to believe or pretend to believe falsehoods or be disfellowshipped. It's ridiculous! It should be criminal.

Sauerkraut: The "where would we go" attitude is bothersome. Peter said that to Jesus.

It's important to clarify your thinking on this point. This is a common error on the part of JWs that is deliberately confused by the WT leadership to create confusion, anxiety and a false sense of loyalty to the organization rather than to Jesus. Carefully re-read what Peter actually said:

“Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life; and we have believed and come to know that you are the Holy One of God.” – John 6:68-69

Notice Peter said "whom" not "where". If you want to follow Jesus, then follow Jesus. The "organization" is unnecessary.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Her basic response was that it doesn't really matter if they have it wrong.______Konceptual99

Is it proper to leave the religion of ones parents ????

If we learned that thier religious practices and beliefs are out of harmony with God's word,......would you respectfully share with them what you learned?....We must make a decision....to take up true worship" ______ Reasoning book page 324

The WTS begs to differ from your wife here the WTS encourages people to point out whats wrong

wit a religious practice and leave it. Witnesses do not have to practice what they preach

they just cover wrong shite wit new light

And any other religion that may have adjusted anything should know, adjustments wit New light

only works for the WTS

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut

@00DAD:

Except there is no F&DS. It is only the WT leadership which is ostensibly the Governing Body, but also likely a team of lawyers, accountants and other highly influential individuals at the helm of this thing. Then there is the trickle down effect: District Overseers, Circuit Overseers, local Elders ....
    No matter what or who is really leading this ship, the question could also be phrased "Whether WT/JW 'Theology' is wrong or not is a crucial question."
    If it's wrong, we shouldn't believe it. We certainly shouldn't pretend to believe it when we don't and no one should be sactioned for saying that don't believe something that is wrong or cannot be proved true. This is the real problem with WT/JW Policies, Rules and Practices: JWs are forced to believe or pretend to believe falsehoods or be disfellowshipped. It's ridiculous! It should be criminal.

You are correct. There is no FDS and it's used, overused actually, to promote a silly notion. That's what started my investigations and led me to believe that the "truth" is not what I thought it to be.

It's important to clarify your thinking on this point. This is a common error on the part of JWs that is deliberately confused by the WT leadership to create confusion, anxiety and a false sense of loyalty to the organization rather than to Jesus. Carefully re-read what Peter actually said:
    “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life; and we have believed and come to know that you are the Holy One of God.” – John 6:68-69

Notice Peter said "whom" not "where". If you want to follow Jesus, then follow Jesus. The "organization" is unnecessary.

My post was badly phrased. What I meant to say is that Peter addressed Jesus himself as the focal point, the key, not any kind of organization. That this scripture is applied to the organization is another silly notion, which should be easily noticed, but isn't. Took me long enough as well. What gets me so angry regarding the Governing Body is how the mislead and usurp Christ's authority. In a way, if you use the parable of the faithful slave, they try to keep the master out and become master themselves.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

She was very understanding but basically couldn't see the point about what question it brings up about the GB and FDS. Her basic response was that it doesn't really matter if they have it wrong.

If she lost somebody she was close to and loved because of the teaching regarding organ transplants she might feel differently.

I think it depends how much the error has cost a person or what it will cost.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

All the JW beliefs are based on leadership, Russell, Rutherford, Knorr and GB. Being wrong may not matter if you as much if you came up with your own conclusions anre were wrong, but jws teachings are brought to you by men who claim to be directed by God, and you have no choice but to publicly approve of them and agree with everything they say otherwise you lose your family and friends. So it does matter if they're wrong because if affects your life as well as lives of 7 million others who at times are forced to die for the teachings of the leadership.

• blondie
    blondie

Well if jws would read their own bible, they would see that the vast majority of jews followed the religious leaders, who as a group did not accept Jesus as the Messiah, and arranged for him to be put to death by the Romans. The WTS says the bible says the jews lost their faovred group status because of listening to those religious leaders, following them into the ditch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit