Watchtower Argues on Behalf of Jimmy Swaggart

by 144001 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

The WTBTS filed an amicus brief in the U.S. Supreme Court case of Jimmy Swaggart v. Board of Equalization of California, and actually argued that Swaggart should win this case. In response to numerious requests I have received, here it is:

http://kvisit.com/SnsuJAg

Edited to add: Copy the link into your web browser.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I'd like to follow up with this information, but when I tried to copy and paste the address into my web browser I got no results.

Is something missing from the web address?

There's nothing wrong with the address, but when I tried it again, I got to a page that said I had to verify my new account with the file sharing site, so I took care of that and it works fine now. Try it again.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Thanks, I can get in now too!

Clickable,

http://kvisit.com/SnsuJAg

Thanks for posting the clickable link, Scenic!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Yes that's true. If I correctly remember, the Watch Tower did that in hopes of not having to collect sales tx on their publications. They changed charging for "printing costs" to the donation arrangement when Swaggart lost his case.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Try the main U.S. Supreme Court website, SCOTUS, or FindLaw.

Glancing at the brief, their position does not seem outrageous. I thought this case was already heard.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I looked very quickly, unless this is somehow Round II, Swaggert lost on all grounds in a unanimous opinon. It is understandable that the WT would want their ability to collect donations unhindered by taxation. I wonder why they even granted cert.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Botr said:

"I looked very quickly, unless this is somehow Round II, Swaggert lost on all grounds in a unanimous opinon. It is understandable that the WT would want their ability to collect donations unhindered by taxation. I wonder why they even granted cert."

The problem is they are blowing their neutrality stance, ie non-involvement with worldly judicial affairs. It would be one thing if they were a party to the matter (ie defendant), but they're not: they're offering an unsolicited opinion on a legal matter to their "friends on the SCOTUS". As you know, 'amicus curae' literally means, "friend of the court".

Who was it who said, "friendship with the world (systems) is enmity with God"? And to defend Swaggart's case? WOW....

PS I suppose in their defense, WTBTS could point out that their brief didn't help Swaggert win the case, so even though they tried to make friends with SCOTUS, the Justices spurred their advances....

• yknot
    yknot

WTS trivial tidbit..... Bro. Philip Brumley suggested the donation arrangement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit