The story of Samson

by Simon 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Our Bible defenders appear to be making up the story for their own convenience. To settle the matter, Samson did not steal the foxes, he "caught" them, and there is nothing in the Bible to indicate that this happened over two months. The story reads as a straight narrative - he caught the foxes, he lit them, he released them. The Bible tells it like this, and it wouldn't make sense any other way. If this had happened over two months, the Philistines would have caught on sooner and taken their revenge.

Here is the actual Bible account from Judges 15:3-6

"And Samson said to them, "This time I shall be blameless in regard to the Philistines, when I do them mischief." So Samson went and caught three hundred foxes, and took torches; and he turned them tail to tail, and put a torch between each pair of tails. And when he had set fire to the torches, he let the foxes go into the standing grain of the Philistines, and burned up the shocks and the standing grain, as well as the olive orchards. Then the Philistines said, "Who has done this?" And they said, "Samson, the son-in-law of the Timnite, because he has taken his wife and given her to his companion." And the Philistines came up, and burned her and her father with fire."

• Gozz
    Gozz

Runningman,

it is indeed impossible for one to not feel the compulsion to commend you for the brilliant analysis you have done. While you do not come to the same conclusion as those having unshakable belief in the inspired expression (see the yeartext, which exhorts all christians, and others who wish to take to mind the Written Word to Stand firm with Conviction), your meditation on the inspired account must be commended. This shows, clearly, that you have spent time, doubtless prayerfully, to carefully consider this account; this can be compred to the 'roving' that was prophesied by the great Prophet Isaiah regarding the end of times. You are well aware of the activity of the Faithful Slave in this selfless pursuit.

As the one named dungbeetle has clearly pointed out, the word translated 'fox' can doubtless not refer only to the animal known today as the fox. No, that cannot simply be so, or else, the account might prove to be in error, as you have shown. May it here be then suggested that you take a closer look at Hebrew words, for a clear understanding of their deep and varied meanings. This will undoubtedly be of great help to you, seeing that you are much given to great learning and careful consideration fo the inspired word. Could it be also that you have missed out the prophetic significance of the account involving Samson, the Judge? could it be that in your search for physical coherence, you miss out the larger reality of the account? Really then, the story need a closer look, with more prayer and meditation.

I have not enough time to engage in a repudiation of the deceptive reasoning in your current post, but will give you a complete reply, carefully thought out, in due course. In the mean time, may you take to heart the following words, uttered to another who has furiously, and consistently attempted to destroy confidence in the written word. (A topic was started along the same lines by one who has made it his occupation to needlesly string stories together, in an effort to discredit them. As you would cleary see in the same thread, even those viciously opposed have stood up for the truth. This indeed, may the beginning of an openingpf eys for such ones, for they engage in fruitful activity, namely, standing up for the truth and what is true). Could it then be that these things are simply too wonderful for you to discern? Be careful so that you are not carried away, just as Eve, the mother of all those living, was also carried away by the deceptive resoning of the Devil, who is also called Satan.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=22839&site=3&page=1

Farkel

You do a good job of casting doubt on the Bible, but you keep forgetting about the abilities of the One that inspired it. Regarding your conclusion that there was absolutely no way that Jonah could've survived such an ordeal, don't you think that its possible that the One that directed the fish so that it would swallow Jonah could at the same time provide the means for Jonah to survive while inside the fish, in the same miraculous fashion?

Yadirf

I wish you the peace that transcends all human understanding.
  • Will Power
    Will Power

Ahhh
    the deeper meaning of the hebrew language.

""And Samson said to them, "This time I shall be blameless in regard to the Philistines, when I DO THEM MISCHIEF."

"missed out the prophetic significance of the account involving Samson, the Judge? "

Who is the Judge? The one doing the mischief?
    Strong's Concordance
    word 1943
    hovah = mischief
    Jah, meaning God

You are NOW well aware of the activity of the Faithful Slave

• Gozz
    Gozz

Will Power,

you clearly miss the point. Do you suppose that the name that is called today is indeed what it was from the beginning? Are you not in the know, that the four glorious letters of the word, as recognized on our earth do not altogether declare the magnificence of the one bearing the name? are you at all aware? It is human thinking to have added vowels to those glorious letters, in a bid to make them pronounceable by mortal tongues. Indeed, studious and hardworking scholars have invented other possibilities for The Name, which seems not to suffer fromthe deficiency the concordance you refer to suggests (I must truthfully inform you that I have not had the time to invetigate, nay, check, the same refence, so that you probably might be in error with respect to your assertion).

But I shall rapidly ask a question in relation to the concordance definition: Will the removal of the letters "o" and "v" significantly alter the meaning attached to the truncated 'hovah', which as you claim, means 'mischief'? Could it be that there exists some equivalence between the English Language and that form of th ePure Language, which is, again, in our current tongue, called Hebrew? Your honesty in answering the above questions will determine the continuation of this informative exchange with you.

• Will Power
    Will Power

gozz
    "Do you suppose that the name that is called today is indeed what it was from the beginning?"

No, I know that it was a 13th century catholic monk who inserted the vowels from adonai & elohim and came up with this hybrid which is not accepted by MOST scholars. It is not a translation, it is made up. The closer "Yahweh" is even easier to say. But he certainly didn't re-write the NT and insert it 237 times where it does not belong. there lies some mischief (See The Tetragrammaton and the Christian Greek Scriptures - a comprehensive study of the divine name in the original writings of the Christian Greek Scriptures. [219 pages of awesome & documented & photographed research)

"do not altogether declare the magnificence of the one bearing the name"
    A rose by any other name would still be a rose. Agreed.
    God himself declared "My Name is JEALOUS" So He is obviously known by many names.

I just think that it is curiously appropriate that the 1943 word has mischief attached to it. One look at famous WT quotes, from their own literature [important to remember that opposers printed none of it]
    complements the idea of mischief, which as a descriptive word is putting it mildly to say the least. Trickery, death, deception are more apt to come to mind. But hey, all this is in the eye of the beholder. To each his own. I'm just so glad my eyes are open.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

From Samson to foxes to women to 'bible defencders'...only on JW.COM!

It's funny how someone can type 'bible defender' and it can easily be seen as an ATTEMPTED INSULT.

I am a defender of critical thinking. The comments about the 300 foxes was very well thought out and a good example of 'critical thinking' that I wish more people would employ. Obviously Samson's 'catching' of the foxes could not have happened that way.

If there's one thing I've learned from being a JW; if there's one thing I will take with me as I walk away from this experience; it's NOT TO TAKE A STAND ON THINGS THAT DON'T NEED A STAND TAKEN ON THEM. Whether Samson really existed and did all these things; I DON"T CARE!!!

I don't see, and have never seen and will never see, the difference between "the bible is infallible and I must obey every command in it real or imagined" and "the bible is a bunch of stories that never happend and I must reject everything it says real or imagined".

Two sides of the same coin. Why take a stand on it without some good reason? There have been times in the history of mankind when these debates and idea exchanges could not take place without threat of loss of life or limb. I KNOW we lose sight of that on this board; some lose sight of it way faster than others. The holier-than-thou attitudes should be relegated to the dark past where they belong.

Keep up the good work folks!!!

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The story of Samson missed one vital portion not previously found, but recently discovered in a Scottish cave.
    It should find it's rightful place between Judges 15:3 and 4.
    I can now reveal this to the world:

Samson used to help out in a local Walmart, where they sold foxes in pairs, so he moped off to work in a sulk.
    It wasn't a good day, as a whole section of an aisle fell down, releasing 300 of the foxes. Upon realising that they were spoiled goods, he had to think up something to do with them.
    "I know" Said Samson, "I'll release them in the adjoining field, owned by the supplier of a competitor.
    Then his hand chanced upon a bottle of "Mrs Miggin's Fine Olde Hair Restorer". He pocketed it, thinking that you never know when THAT might come in useful.

Hence Samson was the predecesor of many fine pioneers who work long hours for minimal pay, continue to trust the untrustworthy, and are exceptionally good at hoarding things.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Did anyone hear the story here in Texas about this man who can actually fly? Yeah, it's true. He claims to have this unique ability after eating burritos at Rosie's Tamale House. Of course he says a prayer before every meal so it could be that God has blessed him with this ability. That's the way he prefers to look at it. Anyway, while he was flying one day he noticed a car full of gang members. This car met 3 other cars and they went to the movies together. Now knowing the amount of violence these gang members were capable of he decided this was a great opportunity to take them all out at once. He flew around the movie theater as fast as he could 7 times then stood on the roof and let out the biggest fart anyone had ever heard causing the roof to collapse and killed everyone inside. Unfortunatly the lack of oxygen killed him also. It was a great day in the City of Austin, Texas.

We will miss Burrito Man but he will not be forgotten for we have learned a valuable lesson from his life story. Killing a theater full of people is a good thing. One day people will believe his story and learn that it's no use trying to rehabilitate those who don't believe. Just kill them all! KILL THEM ALL!

TimB

• outonalimb
    outonalimb

LDH,
    I agree. A lot of the stories in the bible parallel Greek Mythology.
    Samson sure reminds me of Hercules.

mn

• sadiejive

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit