Add your favorite JW prayer cliche'

by King Solomon 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

You know what I'm talking about: the trite, often-repeated phrases that convey the person offering the prayer has drawn a mental blank, and utters these words while their brain desperately searches for the next cliche', so they can conclude the ritual with the required tag, "In Jesus' name we pray".... (is that like the postage stamp?)

OK, I'll kick this one off, and take the most obvious:

"forgive us where we fall short...."

What is THAT about? Isn't that like when Paul made fun of the Greeks for offering tribute to unknown Gods, asking for forgiveness for unknown sins? A spiritual "Get out of jail free" card?

• Aaron Eldridge
    Aaron Eldridge

Not realy a cliche, but, when the non-anointed end prayer with "in Jesus name amen". WTS says Jesus is not their mediator... so how can they be asking anything to be done through him?

• Londo111
    Londo111

* Thank you for the Faithul Slave.

* Be with the Governing Body.

• sir82
    sir82

"We leave this meeting in your care and keeping..."

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Thank you for this fine spiritual banquet we are about to partake of

• SophieG
    SophieG

"We leave this meeting in your care and keeping..."

That just made me twicth....

"We come before your lofty presence..."
    Please forgive me...<mind in the gutter>

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Not realy a cliche, but, when the non-anointed end prayer with "in Jesus name amen". WTS says Jesus is not their mediator... so how can they be asking anything to be done through him?

It's always comforting when the person offering the prayer ALSO says 'amen' along with everyone else: it means they agree with themselves (so no internal conflict there, no sirree). :)

• sir82
    sir82

"Let your spirit be with the speaker today, and with the Watchtower conductor as well...."

Oh, this is a goody, though it's kind of old, I haven't heard it for a while:

"And may a double portion of your spirit be with us here this evening...."

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Wasn't there a KM once that addressed what should not be said in a prayer? Like.....Give our greetings to Jesus and the angels.

• talesin
    talesin

Peace be with you..... and with you!

Oh, wait, that is RC!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit