Cemetery of Forgotten Books

by compound complex 26 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• compound complex
    compound complex

Was it into a wizard's lair I had wandered, breaking so effortlessly through a doorless wall?

It would appear I had done that very thing, with no more thought given this trespass than that granted to any otherwise normal, involuntary reflex. There I stood, immobile, at a loss as to what truly had happened in a mere blink of an eye. From light to dark, but not a darkness so dense that I had been disallowed an immediate and certain sense of having penetrated into a world I knew only from dreams influenced by film and book.

In this particular circumstance, however, it was not the old and comfortable movie palace of childhood where I found myself so unexpectedly, but, rather, in a cemetery of books. These works of obvious antiquity were stacked from planked floor to an incalculably high, vaulted ceiling in so random and careless a fashion that I imagined any misdirected breath coming from my now unstifled mouth would cause this ancient library of arcana to break loose and bury me.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Two recommendations for book lovers: 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff, and The Lifetime Reading Plan by Clifton Fadiman. Really, anything by Clifton Fadiman.

• compound complex
    compound complex

With the utmost delicacy of touch (yet again I held my breath in order not to create the least atmospheric disturbance in a singular world set apart from my former reality), I allowed my right index finger to slide gingerly along the spine of one of a dozen or so thick tomes lying recumbent. The waning light of my flashlight was sufficient to get me about the narrow pathways, but barely able to put the embossed letters in adequately sharp relief.

Sleepy from years of apparent non use, these blocks of knowledge long hidden might have wished to remain let alone; nevertheless, I could not resist discovering what titles beneath years of vertically attached filth awaited discovery. Book by book, I would uncover obscured words -- I should, by all means, resist my usual haphazard and rushed manner, that so typical of an excited child -- and allow their unspoken sounds to penetrate deliciously into the recesses of my eager, curious mind.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Socrates, and welcome!

I saw the film, 84, and loved it. Will get the book.

Gratefully,

CC

• compound complex
    compound complex

Under my incredulous gaze a title long forgotten emerged with reluctance:

The Lives of Sirius Macomber

How I should happen upon a childhood friend -- this most precious of books -- in such a manner, at such a time in a life otherwise rife with boredom and mediocrity of the most pernicious sort, eludes me. Of course, there had to be extant any number of copies. Why here, now and in my trembling grasp, who's to say?

With a mixture of both dread and fevered anticipation, I reverently opened the frayed cover long closed against ruthless time and perusal by unworthy men. Small glimmers of michievous light played upon then fled the flyleaf, thereby increasing the pulsing of a heart rising incrementally, ever upward, in my throat.

There, in a most exquisitely wrought script was a name: Andrew James Vincent.

My name . . .

• steve2
    steve2

Perhaps my post doesn't fit here, but when I saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to the growing "parade" of conveniently forgotten Watchtower publications relegated to the dusty, cob-webbed shelves of little used rooms. Then I thought, Not all roads lead to the Watchtower!

• mP
    mP

@steve

Why stop at the Watchtower and their forgotten books. Just like they change their thoughts over time to adapt to new circumstances and other changes, so too has the selection of holy books in the Bible itself.

There are literally hundreds of gospels, but of course nobody likes to talk about them. No christian religion ever discussed what the dead sea scrolls or Nag Hamadi scrolls ever say for good reason. They all claim to be perfect and unchanging in their god inspired beliefs but the truth is they change all the time.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning --04:18 here in sunny California -- Steve and mP:

Your posts are appreciated. THANKS!

I, like many others, have owned and still possess countless forgotten books. Some are WT publications penned by the infamous judge, others written by authors both famous and little known. Most are obtainable for pennies-on-the-dollar at thrift stores.

To the making of many books there is no end . . .

CoCo

• talesin
    talesin

To books!

I received a surprise birthday gift in the mail a couple of months ago ... it was a book - a book I was longing to read. What a treasure of a gift! It sits on my coffee table, unread. The anticipation is high, but I choose to wait to read it. My head is not clear, and when my pain recedes, I will dive in and truly enjoy the beauty of this amazing writer's words, and the power of his tale.

(Mario Vargas Llosa )

Thanks for bringing this to the top, CoCo. I hope life is treating you kind. My own library will be closing as soon as the new one is built (on another location). I can only hope, with all my heart, that it will be turned into a museum or used for some other purpose, instead of being torn down. It was my haven as a child, and has been such all my life. I know how you feel about your beloved library being razed.

I hope life is treating you kindly, and that you are well.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, good news.

I got an assignment yesterday from a local Arts magazine. I will be reviewing two books for them, and a new music CD being released in a few weeks.

It's great to have a 'job', and so looking forward to the challenge!

xo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit