Horrific Violence in Today's Movies.

by ohiocowboy 25 Replies latest social current

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

I'm sorry but the Dark Knight, the Batman movie from a few years ago that the OP was talking about, was an AWESOME movie. You really should watch it and form your own opinion. The way they carry out the violence isnt gorey. Kinda like how you said Transformers is. On top of that, the hero Batman, has a no guns no killing policy. That movie is so much more than the action that comprises parts of it. It delves into aspects of human nature, why we do what we do. Complications of right and wrong being viewed in absolutes, justice, honor, love, emotional damage, politics, making choices for the greater good, self sacrifice and of course some cool technology(if you're into that kinda stuff). Dark Knight is a well crafted movie that sets the standard for how a superhero movie can be done in a serious manner.

• watson
    watson

Great over view Sheep2slaughter.

But, warning......sustained and intense violence throughout the whole movie. It does not let up.

• Sheep2slaughter
    Sheep2slaughter

Thanks Watson.

Just to be clear, I was referencing The Dark Knight, not The Dark Knight Rises. Dark knight Rises is pretty crazy. Still not bloody but non stop violence from beginning to end.

• Glander
    Glander

The real horrific violence is censored from the typical evening news. If one wants to see it, it is available through sites such as Live Leak, that have daily video of the atrocities in Syria, for example.

Hollywood violence is very realistic, but adults know that it is faked.

My point being that the violence OCB is referring to is desensitizing. Common sense tells you that it is numbing people to proper feelings of revulsion at the horror that really exists in the world.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

this is the type of pure bullshit i cannot stand. now before i go off, let me start out by saying that i totally respect it if like the OP states, he is used to old school batman, and i respect the fact that you dont like the new batman, and i can respect that you dont like violence in movies.

However it is outrageous, unacceptable, ridiculus, and ludricus to in any way suggest that the dark night or any other movie, video game, book, etc in anyway is to blame for not only this shooting or any other. (not saying any of you are making that argument but i just got done the first of many newspaper articles suggesting such madness)

give me a friggin break. i mean, i expect that from JW's, but come on. do some research, its pure BS.

now again, i respect the fact that some of you dont like it, thats totally cool with me. but if anyone is suggesting in anyway that there is something wrong with people who like dark night, grand theft auto, or whatever is taking a ridiculus position.

and i got news for you, as a collecter of movies, the violence in dark night is NOTHING compared to most rated R movies.

now, if you want to make the argument that children should not see it, I agree. if you also want to make the argument that a child who is exposed to this without any type of parental guidance can become desensitized, i will agree also.

but the suggestion that ANY entertainment can turn a normal person into a murderer is about as stupid of an argument as the earth being flat.

(and i mean that with all due respect)

• Glander
    Glander

yourmomma, I think you might jumping to a conclusion that was not stated. Of course millions of people see movie violence all the time and it does not turn them into murderers. But there are people 'out there' who are influenced by it in a negative way. That's all. Not saying anything can or should be done about it. It is understandable that it should come up in the case of this mass murder.

All due respect back atcha!

• JimmyPage
  • j dubb
    j dubb

Growing up, I remember the Batman and Robin TV show from the 1960's, and I assumed that the Dark Knight movies would be along the same lines. Boy, was I wrong!!!

Really? Really. The casting of Christian Bale...having Nolan direct...all the pre-release info/trailers/marketing...It amazes me how anyone could think that studios are going to spend over $180 million making a Batman movie that in ANY way REMOTELY resembles the absurd 1960s Batman TV show. The 60s Batman (and subsequent influence of the comics for a few years) was a bizarre, juvenile tangent on its treatment of the character to begin with. Originally, Batman carried a gun and occasionally did away with the bad guy. After the 60s nonsense, the 70s saw Batman return to his original darker character where it has pretty much stayed.

That said, the movie was violent, much more so than Batman Begins, and I thought should have gotten an R rating.

What happened to the days when a person or family could go to see a movie like Superman, etc

Batman is an entirely different character than Superman! Where Superman embodies and represents the best humanity can aspire to be, Batman represents the shadows, the darkness, the revenge, the manic drive to rid his city of criminals. ITS WHY HE DRESSES AS A BAT.

• zeb
    zeb

what do the makers of such stuff do on their daysoff for relaxation...

sick bastards!

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

I'm sorry but the Dark Knight, the Batman movie from a few years ago that the OP was talking about, was an AWESOME movie. You really should watch it and form your own opinion. The way they carry out the violence isnt gorey. Kinda like how you said Transformers is. On top of that, the hero Batman, has a no guns no killing policy. That movie is so much more than the action that comprises parts of it. It delves into aspects of human nature, why we do what we do. Complications of right and wrong being viewed in absolutes, justice, honor, love, emotional damage, politics, making choices for the greater good, self sacrifice and of course some cool technology(if you're into that kinda stuff). Dark Knight is a well crafted movie that sets the standard for how a superhero movie can be done in a serious manner.

YES

Growing up, I remember the Batman and Robin TV show from the 1960's, and I assumed that the Dark Knight movies would be along the same lines. Boy, was I wrong!!!

Really? Really. The casting of Christian Bale...having Nolan direct...all the pre-release info/trailers/marketing...It amazes me how anyone could think that studios are going to spend over $180 million making a Batman movie that in ANY way REMOTELY resembles the absurd 1960s Batman TV show. The 60s Batman (and subsequent influence of the comics for a few years) was a bizarre, juvenile tangent on its treatment of the character to begin with. Originally, Batman carried a gun and occasionally did away with the bad guy. After the 60s nonsense, the 70s saw Batman return to his original darker character where it has pretty much stayed.

That said, the movie was violent, much more so than Batman Begins, and I thought should have gotten an R rating.

What happened to the days when a person or family could go to see a movie like Superman, etc

Batman is an entirely different character than Superman! Where Superman embodies and represents the best humanity can aspire to be, Batman represents the shadows, the darkness, the revenge, the manic drive to rid his city of criminals. ITS WHY HE DRESSES AS A BAT.

Again, yes!

The OP COMPLETELY misrepresents the movie. I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises, and it does look a bit violent for my taste- we'll see ( I liked Batman Begins which was pretty tame), but The Dark Knight I've seen several times. It's not that violent or scary. Certainly NOT sadistic. This isn't Andy-fugging-Griffith, sorry. It actually has depth. And yes, violence is one of the many leyers in that movie. We ALL have the capacity for violence and the movie looks at that. If that makes people uncomfortable, maybe they are refusing to face reality-and themselves.If that's ALL a person can takkke away from the movie, perhaps they do not have the insight to recognize such depth.

I agree that many movies are horribly violent and sadistic, and the ones which include violence toward children are particularly reprehensible, but c'mon!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit