JWs through the eyes of an eight year old

by maksutov 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well done you're doing really well. You also need to develop a relationship which is fun and give her good memories....like playing cards or board games too.....step right away from education and religion. Go swimming and visit museums.

I taught my son TTATT when he was 11 and we read jwfacts.com together.....but it was only possible because we have a close relationship away from religion.

He is 13 now and stays home when his dad goes to the meetings.

Kate xx

• Flamingo
    Flamingo

Well I think you're doing a great job maksutov, the main thing is (regardless of if she is mature enough to digest it) that you're taking the time to instill in her critical thinking habits which you need to due to the fact that at meetings they will get squished right out of her, keep it up!

I also thought for myself interesting your comparassion of the Muslim faith and the JW's. I say that because I recently attended a funeral of a Muslim family's son and what caught my "this is a cult" goat was how much of it was like witnessing a secret handshake society meeting. Much the way the JW's use their own Theocratic Language.

I can see how these types of religious teachings and all their differences could be attractive to some especially our vulnerable nieve youth who are looking for a place to belong.

I think your daughter will find her place right at home doing something useful like researching and homework to keep her mind stimulated rather than boring mind numbing meetings.

She's lucky to have a Dad like you!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Maksutov, an easy to understand example of vestigial organs are the horses vestigial toes which serve no purpose whatsoever but indicates the changes that the horse goes through. There are pictures of horse evolutionary ancestry in their toes that became hoofs.

Also, the leftover wings of wingless birds could drive the point even more clearly.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Double post.
  • maksutov
    maksutov

Thank you for the continued comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it. On Saturday, while my wife was out (on a KH build project), I showed my daughter the video suggested by cappytan. She watched the whole thing, seemingly with interest (I was half expecting her to get bored and start complaining, but she didn't), but had no questions or comments to make afterwards. I didn't want to press her, so just let it go and moved on. I am working hard at keeping our relationship fun and loving, and that is going very well - we are very close.

We did also have an interesting discussion about shunning (my dad and in-laws are now shunning me) - she really sees it as unfair, for now at least. She was shocked to learn that I would not be shunned if I had not been baptised, and that some children even younger than her were being encouraged to get baptised. She offered the opinion that it was silly to expect a young child to know what religion they want to be in for the rest of their life. She is still very keen to be a JW when she grows up, but I think a little bit of the fire has been dampened down, and I hope it all makes her a bit more circumspect - she has reiterated that she won't shun me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit