Is this valid reasoning for Trinitarian Doctrine?

by Flat_Accent 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Leolaia, Thanks for 'splaining that (said in Ricky Ricardo fashion)

• Gros Michel no more
    Gros Michel no more

Sulla, which pre 250 A.D promoted a complete Trinity concept of God? In "Dialogue with Trypho the Jew" early Church apologist Justin's writings demonstrate his fluency with Greek and Roman philosophy, his arguments of the Christian way of life are very intriguing. Where does Justin promote the idea that Jesus is God's equal? I am working my way through many writings of these early Christians, Origen, Irenaeus, Justin, along with Eusebius's (4th century Church father) collection of early elders (Polycarp, Papias) of Christ from the late first and second century. I am open to learn new ideas, I am no longer taking people's opinions as "gospel", help me out.

• Sulla
    Sulla

"complete Trinit" prior to 250? Not sure, there's bits and pieces here and there; mostly, the focus was on the divinity of Jesus.

With respect to Justin Martyr, several chapters really hit on the idea. Couple quick quotes:

Chapter 38

And Trypho said, "Sir, it were good for us if we obeyed our teachers, who laid down a law that we should have no intercourse with any of you, and that we should not have even any communication with you on these questions. For you utter many blasphemies, in that you seek to persuade us that this crucified man was with Moses and Aaron, and spoke to them in the pillar of the cloud; then that he became man, was crucified, and ascended up to heaven, and comes again to earth, and ought to be worshipped."

Chapter 48

And Trypho said, "We have heard what you think of these matters [of salvation through Christ -- Sulla]. Resume the discourse where you left off, and bring it to an end. For some of it appears to me to be paradoxical, and wholly incapable of proof. For when you say that this Christ existed as God before the ages, then that He submitted to be born and become man, yet that He is not man of man, this[assertion] appears to me to be not merely paradoxical, but also foolish."

Chapter 55

And Trypho answered, "We shall remember this your exposition, if you strengthen[your solution of] this difficulty by other arguments: but now resume the discourse, and show us that the Spirit of prophecy admits another God sides the Maker of all things, taking care not to speak of the sun and moon, which, it is written, God has given to the nations to worship as gods; and oftentimes the prophets, employing this manner of speech, say that 'thy God is a God of gods, and a Lord of lords,' adding frequently, 'the great and strong and terrible[God].' For such expressions are used, not as if they really were gods, but because the Scripture is teaching us that the true God, who made all things, is Lord alone of those who are reputed gods and lords. And in order that the Holy Spirit may convince of this, He said by the holy David, 'The gods of the nations, reputed gods, are idols of demons, and not gods;' and He denounces a curse on those who worship them."

Chapter 68

And Trypho said, "You endeavour to prove an incredible and well-nigh impossible thing;[namely], that God endured to be born and become man."

Basially, the 50s and 60s are chapters where Trypho and Justin go back and forth on exactly this question of Jesus being God. Justin makes use of several examples from the OT that get picked up by others: the incident at Mamre and the destruction of Sodom and others. He also makes use of the repeatedly-quoted 110 Psalm: "The Lord said to my Lord, ..." So, if you can get through the first 50 chapters, almost the rest of the work is discussing the divinity of Christ, or some aspect of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit