Alternatives to JWs

by Xander 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

Since there are new people coming to this board on fairly regular basis with questions about the JW religion, I thought I'd pose this topic.

Many, upon leaving the organization, don't really know where to turn for guidance. "Look to yourself" doesn't really cut it when you've been told how to think your whole life.

Many choose atheism, which is fine. However, for those still looking for a religion, here is a site that lists many of the worlds major religious movements. It is very unbiased - as each section is generally maintained by followers of that belief.

(The site even covers Atheism, check under 'Secular Philosophies')

http://www.belief.net/index/index_10000.html

If you don't know where to start, it has a neat survey it calls a 'belief-O-matic'. You answer a number of questions relating to how YOU think about spirituality/god/etc. and it will present a list of religions and how you match up.

(Interestingly enough, JWs are actually represented here. So if you take the test and come out as 100% JW - uhhhh...)

http://www.belief.net/story/76/story_7665_1.html

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Zander, may you have peace!

May I say to you that while indeed religion, including the WTBTS, IS "a snare and a racket", the "Truth" is not. I direct you, therefore, to the following, with the hope that you have 'ears'... to 'hear':

John 14:6
    John 7:37, 38
    Matthew 11:28
    John 6:68

Notice, please, that when asking my Lord, Peter used the word "whom"... and not "where".

Again, I hope that you... and all who are considering your comments... have 'ears'... to 'hear'.

A slave of Christ, who knows there is NO other 'where' to 'go away' to, but only a 'whom',

SJ

• indireneed
    indireneed

That's really a neat little 'quiz'. I tend to find quizzes completely annoying, but for someone that is not all that interested in religion, it's a good little link to see if there is someone else out there who thinks about things like you.

Hm. I didn't pop up as being a JW. But my upbringing did show through - liberal Protestant. Pretty damn liberal, if I do say so myself.

Nice post Xander.

• Xander
    Xander

That's really a neat little 'quiz'. I tend to find quizzes completely annoying, but for someone that is not all that interested in religion, it's a good little link to see if there is someone else out there who thinks about things like you.

I think the reason many of those quizzes are annoying is because they try and match you to something loosely defined. Like the 'Which Star Wars character are you' or 'Who would be your best friend from Dawson's Creek.'

In order to get them to work, they have to make up characteristics for the characters, who are complex people.

Its ironic, but religion is much, MUCH simpler. Each religion has a set of rules and guidelines. Just feed them all into a database, ask the user some intelligent questions, and you can peg which group of people thinks like they do.

It is kind of neat. IIRC, when I took it I was 100% match with pagans and something like 4% JW. My wife was more like 80% Quaker as a best match, and something like 30% JW match, IIRC. Liberal Protestants were up there, though.

A, AGuest, uhhhh....Idon'thaveanyideawhatyou'retalkingabout

--George Santayana
  • AGuest
    AGuest
    "uhhhh....Idon'thaveanyideawhatyou'retalkingabout..."

Of course, you don't, sugar.

But I still bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• more2C
    more2C

Thanks for posting that website. I took the quiz, and #1 was Baha'i religion. Never heard of them, but apparently I share a lot of their views. Jehovah Witness was close to the bottom of the list, but still I was surprised at (52%).

more2C

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

wow! 100% neo-pagan. who knew?

Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity. Lord Acton 1834-1902

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Wow, Orthodox Judaism closely followed by Islam. That's weird!

• Xander
    Xander

For anyone who took the test, I'm curious.

IIRC, they generally provide a link describing the beliefs of that religion/philosophy.

When reading through it, did it seem to 'click' with you, or were you thinking that it was totally off-base?

Just curious.

--George Santayana
  • collegegirl
    collegegirl

OK - so i did it twice....

The first time i did it, i answered all the questions as would your typical brainwashed dub.... ans, no surprise here, got 100% JW.

My second time, I did it as I actually feel. Surprisingly, since I answered many questions completely opposite of how witnesses really view things, I was still 71% JW. That's scary... I was 100% Liberal Protestant though.

Xander, in response ot your question of whether it was off base or not, I am not sure. I think some questions only offered teh option to take not applicabel, because how i feel was not on there. all in all though, interesting quiz, Xander... Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit