Similarities and differences: JWs & WWCG

by cog_survivor 14 Replies latest jw friends

• witnomore
    witnomore

This discussion led me to look at a list of other cults to see how similar they are to JW...I came across one called Garbage Eaters. A few similarties with JWs (wouldn't you know?!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brethren_(Jim_Roberts_group)

But, Isn't that the most APT term for all cults....garbage eaters!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The WT from the time of the great plagiariser Charles Russell has always read and plagiarised the writings of others, I would suggest there is more than a distinct possibility that Herb Armstrong was similar, taking on board for his own use whatever he felt would work, a two way cross fertilisation of ideas.

They are both offshoots of Adventists. The Church of God that Armstrong joined was formed before Seventh Day Adventists, and they have in common the Adventist teachings, but they rejected the teachings of Ellen G White.

Russell was influenced by Adventist teachings, and borrowed heavily from them. It is likely that he was drawn to their rejection of hell fire doctrine, which was almost an obsession with him.

When you add in some policies from the High Control Group Handbook, it can make both groups appear a lot alike.

• sir82
    sir82

Wow - the list of similarites is very large and almost spot on.

It makes you wonder - did Armstrong influence Rutherford, or did Rutherford influence Armstrong, or both, or is it one of those head-scratching coincidences?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Both the WTBTS and Herbert W. Armstrong constantly accused each other of plaigiarism all through the 1960s (at least).

I never could figure out which one (if either) was really guilty of this.

• sir82
    sir82
    Both the WTBTS and Herbert W. Armstrong constantly accused each other of plaigiarism all through the 1960s (at least).
    I never could figure out which one (if either) was really guilty of this.

This could be a thesis for doctorate degree!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit