New WTS Ministry Textbook

by artful 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• artful
    artful

Greetings.
    Since this is my first post to this board, I would like to submit some interesting information from a new Watchtower Society (WTS) ministry textbook. This new publication is to replace the existing "School Guidebook" and is to be used by all JWs starting in 2003.

Please excuse me if this information has already been posted elsewhere on the board but I think that an interesting discussion is to be had here. NOTE: when I refer to JWs I am not referring to individuals but to the official Watchtower Society (WTS) teachings.

Sincerely.
    Artful
    As many are aware, Jehovah's Witnesses claim that one of the reasons that their method of worship is superior to other Christian faiths is their adherence to the examples set by first century Christians. The reasoning used is that this form of worship was closer to what Christ had intended for his followers and that a "great apostasy" had set in thereafter. Examples can be found in their reasoning that all first century Christians went house-to-house, did not celebrate birthdays, etc.

As many are also aware, Jehovah's Witnesses believe that one of the identifying marks of a "true Christian" is their engaging in the preaching of the "Good News of the Kingdom". They claim that they are the only organization on earth preaching this message in any significant way. The questions arise then, what is this "Good News of the Kingdom" and are JWs closely following the example set by Jesus' apostles in the first century?

An analysis of the first century Christians preaching (via the New Testament) reveals that their message of the "Good News of the Kingdom" was a very simple one; the Messiah had arrived in the form of Jesus Christ, each individual must believe that Jesus was the foretold Messiah and put their faith in him in order to attain salvation.

A new Ministry Textbook by the WTS entitled "Benefit from Theocratic Ministry School Education" sheds some light on whether JWs today are advocating this message preached by the first century Christians. After quoting Matt. 24:14 ("This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come." NWT) the chapter "The Message We Must Proclaim" under the heading "This Good News of the Kingdom" contains the following passage:

"Exactly what is this message that is to be given such wide publicity? It is about the Kingdom for which Jesus taught us to pray to God, saying: "Let your kingdom come." (Matt. 6:10) Revelation 11: 15 describes it as "the kingdom of our Lord [Jehovah] and of his Christ" because the ruling authority originates with Jehovah and is conferred upon Christ as King. Note, however, that the message that Jesus said would be proclaimed in our day goes beyond what his followers preached in the first century. They told people. "The kingdom of God has come near to you" (Luke 10:9) Jesus, the one anointed to be King, was then in their midst. But as recorded at Matthew 24:14, Jesus foretold the worldwide announcement of another development in the fulfillment of God's purpose." (emphasis mine)

The chapter then goes on to explain what this message that "goes beyond" what Jesus followers preached in the first century is. In brief it states:
    1. Jesus came to power in 1914 and thus "God's Kingdom now rules from the heavens and will soon replace all human rulership".
    2. "People everywhere are being put on notice. Their response gives evidence of their attitude toward the Most High as Ruler..".
    3. "The Kingdom will transform the earth into a paradise filled with people who love God and their fellowman".

The subheading then concludes with the following words:
    "Are you emphasizing THIS (emphasis theirs) good news when you witness about the Kingdom?"

________
    Rather than go into detailed refute of the above paragraphs, I would like to leave this open for discussion for the board. However, I will end with one scripture from Paul to the Galations:

“However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond what we declared to you as good news, let him be accursed. As we have said above, I also now say again, whoever it is that is declaring to you as good news something beyond what you accepted, let him be accursed.”—Galatians 1:8, 9 NWT

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

And further the bible goes on to say that

there should be pioneers with special books and special schools;

elders with special books and special schools and special letters;

a kingdom misery--I mean ministry- school available only to special people (translation, asskissers)with special book and special magazine

....it does say that somewhere doesn't it? DOESN'T IT????

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

What proof, if any, is there that the first-century Christians did not celebrate birthdays?

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Since nothing has 'officially' been added to the Bible since the first century, this expanded information must have come by divine inspiration or revelation. If so, then it would by definition be going beyond the Scriptures, n'est pas?

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

A reprint of the same old thing with a new name. More books-more $$$$$$$

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks Artful for taking the time to register and post this information for discussion. And welcome to this often/sometimes/usually/never (take your pick) friendly place.

Dubs have had their anticipations aroused by little announcements at conventions about the forthcoming release of the new TMS book. No doubt the anticipation will be warranted!

The point you highlight is an interesting one, although these days I find the WTS explanation of the "good news" rather perplexing. This is not the first time they have maintained, and with some pride in themselves, that the message that Jehovah's Witnesses declare is a DIFFERENT god news or gospel. The argument they put forward of Christ now being an enthroned King making the message one of the established Kingdom I find spurious. As you point out from Galatians 1:8,9 there's no evidence that Christ intended for two gospels to be declared. Rather the good news centered around Jesus' death and resurrection. So he was able to declare to his disciples in his parting words and after his resurrection "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. Go therefore baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And, look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things." - Matthew 28:18-20 NWT In these words there is no indication of a different gospel but rather the same gospel that had been declared before his death. Of course from that time on the gospel was of Christ crucified, dead and resurrected but this does not mean a different gospel.

It needs to be highglighted, however, that the WTS is quite correct in saying they preach a different gospel. They certainly do! And we wish more of the R&F would appreciate that fact!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• artful
    artful

Hi Ozzie.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I appreciated your input on Matt. 28:18-20. The fact that Jesus said to his disciples to be "teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you" certainly seems to indicate that there was no additional gospel to be preached.

Aside from the WTS ridiculous reasoning that Matt 24:14 somehow indicates that "Jesus foretold the worldwide announcement of another development in the fulfillment of God's purpose", one issue I have (among many) with the "unique" good news that the JWs are told to preach is that God's Kingdom will "transform the earth into a paradise". I have recently started reading the NT again (with a "fresh" mind) and I can't seem to reconcile that WTS doctrine with what I have read.

If anyone has any thoughts on the biblical (in)accuracy of the WTS "paradise earth" teaching I would really appreciate your input.

Cheers
    Artful

"Beliefs Burden. Ideas Inspire".

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day again Artful,

For many years I was (whilst 'in the troof') concerned at the lack of scriptural texts in the New Testament about the paradise earth. I felt this keenly whenever I was preparing a Public Talk or the like. It used to go through my mind: Why, if this is such an important feature of Christ's Millenial Rule, is there nothing 'said' about it? It deeply troubled me, but, like so many others, I dismissed it from my mind, or rather put it to the back of my mind.

Like you, Mrs Ozzie and I have in recent years enjoyed reading the NT again but this time with 'fresh eyes'. In fact, we spent a whole year reading and studying the NT in order to determine the accuracy or otherwise of the WTS teachings. We chose another translation, the NIV, and thoroughly enjoyed reading just the Bible. Our reading was not coloured by bound volumes or other interpretive books of the WTS. It surprised us a little to think how much we enjoyed it. Paul's ministry became exciting to us, and that's something it never was when attending the Kingdom Hall!

Nowadays I don't have any trouble with the "paradise earth" teaching. I know it just isn't the big thing. I've come to appreciate that the Witnesses practice what Ray Franz calls "spiritual materialism" i.e. they are really offering material things in the guise of spirituality. How often we went to the doors and showed householders pictures of the paradise earth and then asked "Do you want to live there? Then this is what you need to do."

Now we can confidently leave things in God's hands knowing that in the new heavens and new earth we will be communing with Him.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

artful,

A few thoughts on the biblical innaccuracy of the WTs belief about paradise on earth.

Matthew 22:20 for in the resurrection neither do men marry nor are given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven. (NWT)

Mark 12:25 For when they rise from the dead, neither do men marry, nor are women given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven. (NWT)

Luke 20:35 but those who have been counted worthy of gaining that system of things and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. (NWT)
    36: In fact neither can they die anymore, for they are like angels, and they are God's children by being God's children of the resurrection.

The question is, in light of these scriptures, why does the Watchtower show pictures of married couples with children living on a paradise earth after Armageddon?

Are these families living before the resurrection and after Armageddon?

How can those resurrected multiply the earth as the WT depicts when they will be as angels of God in heaven?

Scorpion

• LDH
    LDH

Artful,

Welcome to the board! Thanks for taking the time to post the article--I've long lost touch with any of the current literature and I really appreciate being up to date on it....

The most fun is when I tell my JDub parents new developments before they are aware of them.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit