Are you TRAPPED by your believing mate into a hellish life of "pretend"?

by Terry 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

The scene is familiar.

A Jehovah's Witness family with one member who has awakened from the LIE.

The split comes down to an interesting wrong terminology:

UNbelieving mate vs Believing mate.

The context of the entire Family is as a JEHOVAH'S WITNESS FAMILY.

Damage has already been done. The individuality was sucked out. The drones remain.

But, one mate awakens. What then?

The awakened mate sees the lies. They become an INDIVIDUAL again simply by thinking for themselves: "What's going on here? Can this be true?"

Thinking for yourself?
    Individuals are an endangered species in controlling religions such as the Watchtower Society.

Once you begin to think for yourself an avalanche of things happen almost immediately!

Investigation begins (usually online or by asking questions of other JW's) innocently unaware that your "brothers" and "sisters" are NOT your friends.

Your marriage mate is NOT an ally. Your intellectual thirst is quarantined as though plague were about to break out.

The internal "gasp" of fright seizes you with panic, guilt and total confusion!

Once smiling faces tighten into speculative scrutiny of your every word and move.

Your marriage mate treats you like your mind is gone.

Nothing you say is heard. Nothing you feel is important to THEM.

Suddenly you are surrounded by very attentive voices urging you to do this and DON'T do that; trust Jehovah, pray more, go out in Field Service more, don't miss meetings, stop going on the Internet...blah..blah...blah

Your HONEST questions have become mental illness, spiritual sickness, demon possession and possible grounds for disfellowshipping!!

Your entire life comes down to the drum beat of one repeated question: YOUR LOYALTY TO THE GOVERNING BODY.

What is wrong with this picture?

For one thing, a person is guilty until proved innocent. No benefit of the doubt allowed.

There is no FREE EXCHANGE of ideas permitted. A flurry of bible page-flipping will ensue.

Watchtower articles are cited. CAUTION: HAZARD!

Are you TRAPPED by your believing mate into a hellish life of "pretend"?

Are you driven to sneaky peeks at websites that report and reveal Watchtower lies and inconsistencies?

Does the sense of overwhelming guilt cause you to ACT like the APOSTATE everyone is expecting you to become?

THERE IS A WAY OUT!

However....it takes moral courage and intellectual honesty and a fearless and searching personal inventory.

Ready?

Who is on the side of Truth? I mean, really...authentically...realistically?

Is it a group that cheats its own doctrines by constant adjustment for error? (Old Light=bad guesses)

Or, is it the fresh air of open inquiry?

Who truly is acting guilty if one party will NOT ALLOW questions from the other party? Who is hiding from the truth?

Once you answer THAT question---you know which side YOU are on.

At that point, if you see the JW side as duplicitous and sneaky control freaks---you are ready to move into ACTION.

If you have children, their future is in danger. Not from Armageddon, but, from having their minds snuffed out like candles.

This toxic religion will make freaks out of them with tragets on their back. They'll be oddballs and self-made martyrs just because

some old men in a brick building declare it necessary!

Unless......you act with COURAGE.

You are NOT GUILITY so don't act guilty. You are COURAGEOUS. Act courageous.

When you stand up for right you are bold. When you protect your children you are majestic!

Look the JW's in the eye (especially your own mate) and say it straight!

"Something weird is going on with this religion and I demand answers for my own sake and for my children's sake!"

Don't be cowed by condescension and trick questions.

Wave it off----politely.

Modestly refuse to be GANGED UP ON.

Tell the "group" of elders you will NOT sit down with more than ONE at a time because it is UNnecessary.

Smile and repeat (as often as necessary) "No, thank you."

Have a heart to heart talk with the Mate with GROUND RULES established before hand.

Both of you agree that it will be one question followed by one answer and no topic hopping.

If anybody pulls rank on you with "headship" stand up straight and say---"Hold on a minute! This is a free country and I am equal. I will NOT

be spoken DOWN to. Treat me with respect and do NOT prejudge me".

Take the initiative. Don't be passive. Truth is NOT on their side.

The JW's only have two bullets and 2 bullets ONLY.

1. Their corkscrew interpretation of Bible verses

2.The mighty hand of the GB (all bow down)

Your position is a DEMAND for HONESTY and not a POWER-STRUCTURE rigged kangaroo court.

You don't have to be sucked into challenges for LOYALTY STATEMENTS. Refuse to positioned that way.

"Do you believe that Jehovah's Organization is guided by His Faithful and Discreet slave, or not?"

"I'm sorry but it offends me to have to pledge allegience in this way TO YOU. Jehovah is well aware of what I believe in my heart."

The power dynamics of this religion is a minefield IF YOU PLAY IT THEIR WAY.

Simply politely refuse to be man-handled into uncomfortable tests, private meetings with several elders, confrontations, etc.

"I'm sorry but you are making me feel uncomfortable and I don't appreciate it." Simple and irrefutable.

Avoid doctrine talk. You can't win. Avoid bible cherry-picking verses. You can't win.

STAY WITH THE FUNDAMENTAL ISSUE of Jurisdiction.
    "I am a free person in a free society who CHOOSES what I believe according to the honesty and truth that I see in it."

"If I don't see that I am being treated with fairness and respect rather than morbid suspicion--why would I submit myself

to being interrogated?"

"I'm not attacking anybody or threatening anyone in Jehovah's organization. I would appreciate it if you would return the favor

by not threatening me or my children with Armageddon or the judgement of God." Spoken with calm self-assurance and not emotion.

You are not TRAPPED by your unbelieving mate.

You are burdened with the collar around their neck. Yours has come loose.

You are FREE to go about as you so choose and your mate has a short leash.

The real problem belongs to that mate. Don't misread the situation!

They aren't unequally yoked to an unbeliever. You are unequally yoked to a Non-thinker

The JW mate is acting out of fear. You are acting out of a sense of honest inquiry.

Remember that phrase: "Honest inquiry". Like those Boereans. (More noble-minded than the rest.)

Your mind belongs to YOU. The JW's don't own it. You have to turn it over to them first.

You can take it back at any time.

Your mate didn't keep the receipt when they pawned theirs!

The interest on that loan is piling up.

The bottom line is you cannot be Guilty if you are honestly asking ANYTHING about ANYTHING.

You can't be convicted unless you confess to crimes.

The job of the JW storm troopers is to badger and provoke that confession.

Failing that, an attitude of disrespect. You can avoid that by your tone and word choice.

It is a Game. You can win.

Be strong. Be honest. Assert dispassionately your right to inquiry. Insist that you be respected.

Announce when you feel they are intimidating you and call them on it---without being emotional or challenging.

Just state the bland fact of it.

Gather facts and stick to them.

Secret facts that others are unaware of throw them off guard.

If you are asked, "Where did you get that; some Apostate site on the Internet?"

Respond: "This is either a Fact or it is Not---which is it?"

"Answer me. Where did you get this information?"

"I don't appreciate your demanding tone! I specifically asked if this is a FACT or not. Let's stick to the issue."

"Do you refuse to answer?"

"Are you saying that this is an Interrogation or an informal conversation? Because, if you are an Interrogator I will

be entitled to the presence of an attorney. So, which is it? Conversation or Interrogation?"

Stay in control by being on the right side of simple human rights.

Remember: the only way you can be trapped is IN YOUR OWN MIND.

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

Terry, I enjoyed your post. Especially this part:

'You don't have to be sucked into challenges for LOYALTY STATEMENTS. Refuse to positioned that way.

"Do you believe that Jehovah's Organization is guided by His Faithful and Discreet slave, or not?"

"I'm sorry but it offends me to have to pledge allegience in this way TO YOU. Jehovah is well aware of what I believe in my heart."'

Well phrased

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Do you have an un-thinking mate?

• out4good3
    out4good3

Great write up. I could see only one caveat....

"I'm not attacking anybody or threatening anyone in Jehovah's organization. I would appreciate it if you would return the favor"

I would avoid alluding to "that" organization as belonging to jehovah or any concept thereof. "Your organization" I think would be a more apt and neutral description not giving it any moral or spiritual authority real or perceived.

I would think that referring to it the way you suggests would slightly weaken your position and give them cause to believe that, sufficiently pushed, they would be able to turn you back or make you "come to your senses" (I hate that JW-esque line).

Don't leave the door open for them.

Not even a crack.

• Ding
    Ding

The illusion is that everyone else at the Kingdom Hall believes it all.

Some do, but odds are there are a significant number of people there who are asking many of the same questions you are...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Because, if you are an Interrogator I will be entitled to the presence of an attorney.

I like a lot of what you posted, Terry, but what planet is this idea from? You ain't ENTITLED to NOTHIN'! THEY set the rules. If you acting BRAZEN, your @$$ is gr@$$.

Doc

• tornapart
    tornapart

Awesome Terry! Love your thinking!

• Terry
    Terry

Publicly Jehovah's Witnesses honor conscience as indispensable to integrity.

The inner voice trained to seek out right and wrong is often cited as a failsafe in life or death matters.

Yet, few Newly-Awakened JW's avail themselves of their own conscience as a non-negotiable when dealing with the elders.

Simply stated:

"You asked me about my 'doubts'? I'm dealing with my conscience and my reaction is to investigate. That maintains my integrity."

That is a pivot from their damning language into a defensible alternate position.

"What has caused you to question Jehovah's loving arrangement?"

"You're confused. Let me clear this up for you. Jehovah and I are just fine. My questions have to do with human activity. My conscience has been trained by the very same source that yours has. The one difference is that a loud alarm bell is telling me something is wrong. My conscience is telling me I need

to investigate. If this were YOUR conscience you'd do the same. Othewise, why have one?"

"The Evil Slave uses these same issues to tear people away from the protection of Jehovah's Organization so that Satan can blind your eyes and turn you into an Apostate. Do you want to end up a disfellowshipped Apostate?"

"The voice of my conscience keeps my eyes OPEN enough to ask honest questions. You wouldn't want to deny other people their right to reality, would you? That's all I'm asking for is a clear look at what is REAL and what might only appear to be. And the wisdom to know the difference."

Since when does not-looking and not-asking reveal a hunger for Truth? We call being a Jehovah's Witness THE Truth. That makes all the facts an open book and not one that is slammed shut to inquiry.

Indeed, it IS a matter of CONSCIENCE.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Whilst I can be of no help to you in your sad situation Terry, I can thank you that confirmations of what I was allways worried about when an active, has helped me, you see I was very very fond of a Sister, for the only time in my life I thought I had a chance of Love and family, but the Elders put her off as she was a Pioneer and I wasnt, afterwards, she did finish with me but then she tried to get me back, I refused her, and partly due to fears that you yourself have had materialise.

Yet I never forgave myself for denighing that only chance of happiness that ever came my way, for nearly 20 years I have been in a living death, your Revelations help me realise I was actually saved from an even greater unhappiness if I had wed a woman whose Love was very conditional indeed.

• Terry
    Terry

Love was very conditional indeed.

If we can even grace it with the word "love"!

JW "love" is more a series of procedures. Like assembling a bookshelf from IKEA.

When you leave out the screw the damned thing falls apart!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit