What Is A Cult? -- Part# 3

by ros 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ros
    ros

<center><font size=+2>The 'C'-Word Debate:</font><br>
    <font size=+3><i>What Is a C-U-L-T?</font></center></strong></font></font>
    <p>
    Whether a religious group like Jehovah's Witnesses qualifies for being defined as a cult
    is an on-going debate, even among former members of the religion. To some people,
    the word 'cult' conjures up images of strange-dressed people with shaved heads and
    tamborines chanting on a busy street-corner, or a small band of extremists holed up in a
    remote farm house, or the mass suicide of a group of religious zealots with a charismatic
    leader. Yet by other definitions, even Jesus and His disciples would ostensibly be
    described as a cult among the Jews in their day. Generally speaking, dictionary definitions
    of the word make little distinction in meaning from merely a 'sect' or any group of
    adherents to a particular belief system.
    Acknowledging this diverse perception about cults, The Watchtower Society
    responded to charges made by some anticult organizations that Jehovah's Witnesses
    are a 'cult' in the February 15, 1994 <i><b>Watchtower</b></i>. In an
    article titled: <b>"Cults--What Are They?"</b> on page 4, we read:
    <blockquote> <font color=000000>
    <b>What Is a Cult?</b><br>
    <font size=-1>The term "cult" is used loosely by many who may not be fully aware of its
    connotations. To prevent confusion, some theologians actually avoid using
    the term.<br>
    <font color="110e7f"><i><b>The World Book Encyclopedia</b></i> explains that "traditionally, the term
    <i><b>cult</b></i> referred to any form of worship or ritual observance." By that
    criterion, all religious organizations could be classified as cults.</font>
    However, in general usage today, the word "cult" has a different meaning. The
    same encyclopedia notes that "since the mid-1900's, publicity about cults has
    altered the meaning of the term. . . . Occasionally, anticult organizations
    and the media have referred to Jehovah's Witnesses as a cult. A number of
    recent newspaper articles lump the Witnesses with religious groups known
    for their questionable practices. But would it be accurate to refer to
    Jehovah's Witnesses as a small fringe religious group? Cult members often
    isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society in general. Is
    that the case with Jehovah's Witnesses? Are the Witnesses using deceptive
    and unethical techniques to recruit members?<br>
    Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of
    their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah's Witnesses do this?
    Is their worship cloaked in secrecy? Are they following and venerating a
    human leader? Pointedly, are Jehovah's Witnesses a cult?
    </font></font></blockquote>

So it is in this <i>"general usage today"</i> meaning of the word that the
    Watchtower Society asks whether it is fair to label Jehovah's Witnesses as a
    'cult.' <font color="000000"><i>(Jehovah's Witnesses should be as discretionary about the word
    <b>'apostate'</b> as they are about the word <b>'cult'</b>--but that is a topic
    for another time).</i></font> It is not my objective in this little series draw a conclusion on the
    issue of whether Jehovah's Witnesses qualify as a bonafide 'cult,'. That depends on how you define it.
    <p>
    In two previous posts on this topic, we considered the experience of a former Moonie, Steve Hasson,
    from his book about it titled "Combatting Cult Mind Control." As mentioned, Hasson was himself
    a member of the Unification Church (better known
    as the "Moonies") for several years. After being taken from them and deprogrammed,
    he was motivated by the experience to make an exhaustive study of what he
    calls the "cult phenomenon" and has since become a prominent exit counselor and
    authority on the subject in America. On page 35 of his book he notes:
    <blockquote><font color="000000">
    "Over nine hundred people--men, women, and children; white and black--lying face down
    in the mud at Jonestown, Guyana. Mention "cults" to someone and these are the image
    you'll evoke. . . Yet these images do not represent the overall destructive cult phenomenon
    as it has become today."</font>
    </blockquote>
    Nevertheless, on page 37 he states: <font color="000000">
    <blockquote>
    "Not all groups which might be called "cults" because they appear to incorporate strange
    beliefs and practices are necessarily destructive. A destructive cult distinguishes itself
    from a normal social or religious group by subjecting its members to persuasion
    or other damaging influences to keep them in the group."</font> <br>
    </blockquote>
    Hasson identifies four qualifying components of mind control and stresses the point that
    <font color="000000">"Mind control is not brainwashing."</i>
    [p.55] On page 66 of his book, he outlines four components of mind control:
    <blockquote><font color="000000">
    <b>Behavior</b> control, <b>thought</b> control, <b>emotional</b> control, and
    <b>information</b> control: each form of control has great power and influence on
    the human mind. Together, they form a totalistic web, which can manipulate even the
    strongest-minded people. In fact, it is the strongest-minded individuals
    who make the most involved and enthusiastic cult members.</font><br>
    </blockquote>
    <p>
    To be fair, let us examine the very questions posed in the February 15, 1994
    <i>Watchtower</i> article:
    <p>
    <b>QUOTE: <i>Would it be accurate to refer to Jehovah's Witnesses as a small fringe
    religious group?</i></b><br>
    Considering that the Watchtower organization began from a small congregation
    of "Bible Students" started by C.T. Russell in the late 1800s, which sprang
    out of a congregation of Second Adventists, we might ask: At what
    point in time or numbers did the Watchtower Society advance beyond the point of
    being a small fringe religious group? Was it before or after they were chosen by
    Jehovah God to be His channel of communication to the whole world through the
    pages of <i>The Watchtower</i> in "these 'last days' before Armageddon"?
    <p>
    <b>QUOTE: <i>Cult members often isolate themselves from friends, family, and even
    society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah's Witnesses?</i></b><br>
    Is it not true that Jehovah's Witnesses discourage their members--especially their children
    in school--from associating with "worldly" friends and relatives, saying Witnesses
    "are no part of this world"? (John 15:19) What is meant in the <i>Reasoning From
    the Scriptures</i> book, on page 189 under "Bad associations" where 1Cor.15:33 is
    cited to discourage friendship with anyone not among Jehovah's Witnesses? Are
    Jehovah's Witness children in school allowed to participate in the extra-curricular
    clubs and social activities, including sports?
    <p>
    <b>QUOTE:<i> Do the Witnesses use deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit
    members?</i></b><br>
    Perhaps it may depend on what one considers deceptive or unethical. If you were to out-right
    ask a Jehovah's Witness--who has either come to your door in the house-to-house
    "witnessing" work, or got your name as a survivor of someone deceased out
    of the obituaries--if you ask whether the Witnesses are there hoping to recruit
    you into Jehovah's Witnesses, they would usually deny it.
    However, ask them if it is true that their mission is to find "other sheep"
    to bring them into the Watchtower's fold before Armageddon, because everyone
    living except Jehovah's Witnesses will be destroyed--how might the average
    Witness respond? They will try to impart the impression that you have the hope
    of seeing your deceased loved ones very soon in a paradise earth--but will
    have to be pressed to admit this is only if you join them and survive Armageddon.
    <p>
    <b>QUOTE:<i> Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of
    their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah's Witnesses do this?</i></b><br>
    Based on the information presented in the previous posts about the techniques of cult mind control,
    one must determine whether the Watchtower Society employs any number of these
    tactics to direct and bind the loyalty of Jehovah's Witness members to the
    organization.
    <p>
    <b>QUOTE:<i> Is their worship cloaked in secrecy?</i></b><br>
    According to the book <i>Crisis of Conscience</i> by former Governing Body member,
    Raymond Franz, most of their organizational policy making regarding doctrine, worship and
    disciplinary actions, including disfellowshipping procedures, is done in closed meetings
    of the Governing Body.
    <p>
    <b>QUOTE:<i> Are they following and venerating a human leader?</i></b><br>
    Does the Watchtower Society teach that the Governing Body and the
    "annointed" remnant are the collective mediator between the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses
    and Jesus Christ?
    <p>
    <b>QUOTE:<i> Pointedly, are Jehovah's Witnesses a cult?</i></b><br>
    Well, considering the <i>The World Book Encyclopedia</i> definition, various
    dictionaries, the Watchtower Society's definition, or that of recognized
    cult-awareness advocates, it would seem to depend on your preferred definition
    of the word 'CULT.'<br>
    ================================

Ros
    "A religion that teaches lies cannot be true"--The Watchtower, 12/1/91 pg. 7

• nytelecom2
    nytelecom2

dont ya just hate html code

• ros
    ros

The 'C'-Word Debate: What Is a C-U-L-T
    Whether a religious group like Jehovah's Witnesses qualifies for being defined as a cult is an on-going debate, even among former members of the religion. To some people, the word 'cult' conjures up images of strange-dressed people with shaved heads and tamborines chanting on a busy street-corner, or a small band of extremists holed up in a remote farm house, or the mass suicide of a group of religious zealots with a charismatic leader. Yet by other definitions, even Jesus and His disciples would ostensibly be described as a cult among the Jews in their day. Generally speaking, dictionary definitions of the word make little distinction in meaning from merely a 'sect' or any group of adherents to a particular belief system. Acknowledging this diverse perception about cults, The Watchtower Society responded to charges made by some anticult organizations that Jehovah's Witnesses are a 'cult' in the February 15, 1994 Watchtower. In an article titled: "Cults--What Are They?" on page 4, we read:

What Is a Cult?
    The term "cult" is used loosely by many who may not be fully aware of its connotations. To prevent confusion, some theologians actually avoid using the term.
    The World Book Encyclopedia explains that "traditionally, the term cult referred to any form of worship or ritual observance." By that criterion, all religious organizations could be classified as cults. However, in general usage today, the word "cult" has a different meaning. The same encyclopedia notes that "since the mid-1900's, publicity about cults has altered the meaning of the term. . . . Occasionally, anticult organizations and the media have referred to Jehovah's Witnesses as a cult. A number of recent newspaper articles lump the Witnesses with religious groups known for their questionable practices. But would it be accurate to refer to Jehovah's Witnesses as a small fringe religious group? Cult members often isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah's Witnesses? Are the Witnesses using deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit members?
    Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah's Witnesses do this? Is their worship cloaked in secrecy? Are they following and venerating a human leader? Pointedly, are Jehovah's Witnesses a cult?

So it is in this "general usage today" meaning of the word that the Watchtower Society asks whether it is fair to label Jehovah's Witnesses as a 'cult.' (Jehovah's Witnesses should be as discretionary about the word 'apostate' as they are about the word 'cult'--but that is a topic for another time). It is not my objective in this little series draw a conclusion on the issue of whether Jehovah's Witnesses qualify as a bonafide 'cult,'. That depends on how you define it.
    In two previous posts on this topic, we considered the experience of a former Moonie, Steve Hasson, from his book about it titled "Combatting Cult Mind Control." As mentioned, Hasson was himself a member of the Unification Church (better known as the "Moonies") for several years. After being taken from them and deprogrammed, he was motivated by the experience to make an exhaustive study of what he calls the "cult phenomenon" and has since become a prominent exit counselor and authority on the subject in America. On page 35 of his book he notes:

"Over nine hundred people--men, women, and children; white and black--lying face down in the mud at Jonestown, Guyana. Mention "cults" to someone and these are the image you'll evoke. . . Yet these images do not represent the overall destructive cult phenomenon as it has become today."

Nevertheless, on page 37 he states:

"Not all groups which might be called "cults" because they appear to incorporate strange beliefs and practices are necessarily destructive. A destructive cult distinguishes itself from a normal social or religious group by subjecting its members to persuasion or other damaging influences to keep them in the group."

Hasson identifies four qualifying components of mind control and stresses the point that "Mind control is not brainwashing." [p.55] On page 66 of his book, he outlines four components of mind control:

Behavior control, thought control, emotional control, and information control: each form of control has great power and influence on the human mind. Together, they form a totalistic web, which can manipulate even the strongest-minded people. In fact, it is the strongest-minded individuals who make the most involved and enthusiastic cult members.

To be fair, let us examine the very questions posed in the February 15, 1994 Watchtower article:

QUOTE: Would it be accurate to refer to Jehovah's Witnesses as a small fringe religious group?
    Considering that the Watchtower organization began from a small congregation of "Bible Students" started by C.T. Russell in the late 1800s, which sprang out of a congregation of Second Adventists, we might ask: At what point in time or numbers did the Watchtower Society advance beyond the point of being a small fringe religious group? Was it before or after they were chosen by Jehovah God to be His channel of communication to the whole world through the pages of The Watchtower in "these 'last days' before Armageddon"?

QUOTE: Cult members often isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah's Witnesses?
    Is it not true that Jehovah's Witnesses discourage their members--especially their children in school--from associating with "worldly" friends and relatives, saying Witnesses "are no part of this world"? (John 15:19) What is meant in the Reasoning From the Scriptures book, on page 189 under "Bad associations" where 1Cor.15:33 is cited to discourage friendship with anyone not among Jehovah's Witnesses? Are Jehovah's Witness children in school allowed to participate in the extra-curricular clubs and social activities, including sports?

QUOTE: Do the Witnesses use deceptive and unethical techniques to recruit members?
    Perhaps it may depend on what one considers deceptive or unethical. If you were to out-right ask a Jehovah's Witness--who has either come to your door in the house-to-house "witnessing" work, or got your name as a survivor of someone deceased out of the obituaries--if you ask whether the Witnesses are there hoping to recruit you into Jehovah's Witnesses, they would usually deny it. However, ask them if it is true that their mission is to find "other sheep" to bring them into the Watchtower's fold before Armageddon, because everyone living except Jehovah's Witnesses will be destroyed--how might the average Witness respond? They will try to impart the impression that you have the hope of seeing your deceased loved ones very soon in a paradise earth--but will have to be pressed to admit this is only if you join them and survive Armageddon.

QUOTE: Cult leaders are known to use manipulative methods to control the minds of their followers. Is there any evidence that Jehovah's Witnesses do this?
    Based on the information presented in the previous posts about the techniques of cult mind control, one must determine whether the Watchtower Society employs any number of these tactics to direct and bind the loyalty of Jehovah's Witness members to the organization.

QUOTE: Is their worship cloaked in secrecy?
    According to the book Crisis of Conscience by former Governing Body member, Raymond Franz, most of their organizational policy making regarding doctrine, worship and disciplinary actions, including disfellowshipping procedures, is done in closed meetings of the Governing Body.

QUOTE: Are they following and venerating a human leader?
    Does the Watchtower Society teach that the Governing Body and the "annointed" remnant are the collective mediator between the majority of Jehovah's Witnesses and Jesus Christ?

QUOTE: Pointedly, are Jehovah's Witnesses a cult?
    Well, considering the The World Book Encyclopedia definition, various dictionaries, the Watchtower Society's definition, or that of recognized cult-awareness advocates, it would seem to depend on your preferred definition of the word 'CULT.'

Ros

• ros
    ros

Hi, Nytelecom2:
    You asked:

dont ya just hate html code

No. I much prefer it.
    Case in point! ;-)

Ros

• ros
    ros

TO SIMON:
    Simon, you can delete the initial post in this thread for all the garbled html code. I chanced posting it because I thought I could easily edit it if it failed. Sorry to be a pain.

Ros

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Ros,

The New Testament has been the breeding ground for many false religions and cults. The Watchtower just happens to be the one we fell into!

Look to the NT for blame, it has caused much pain and bigotry throughout the world. The Watchtower is simply a result of the teachings of Paul and the other NT writers taken seriously! Every religion that carefully applies the words of Paul goes the wrong way. Paul taught division; us verses them. It is this division that has empowered immoral religious men and has led sincere people down the wrong path. Paul is the Father of all Christian cults and false Christian religions!

He betrayed Jesus in a way far greater than Judas Iscariot! Jesus spoke against pharisaical rule, Paul established a pharisaical religion based on the beautiful reputation of a man he had never met!

IW

• ros
    ros

IslandWoman:

While I tend to agree that Paul pioneered gentile Christianity in the first century, I can't see where the churches follow his instruction any more than they do that of Jesus. Personally I think Paul did more to break from legalism than the other apostles. What's an example of why you think the churches and their doctrines are in the shadow of Paul?

I tend to think more that it is what "religion" has done to Christianity. The us-vs-them characteristic is a human trait that is perpetuated in everything, including this board.
    Example: Those who cuss vs. those who don't.

Ros

• aChristian
    aChristian

IW,

You are wrong about Paul. :D

• aChristian
    aChristian

IW,

That :D was supposed to turn into a smiley. One of these days I'll learn how to do that smiley thing. By the way, I just noticed that you have been spending much too much time on this board. Since you have been here you have made on average 1.1937321 posts per day. I, on the other hand, have averaged only 1.1772853 posts per day. Try to spend your time more productively!

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Ros,

I can't see where the churches follow his instruction any more than they do that of Jesus.
    The NT writers made rules, they set up a religious hierarchy, they gave many more do's and don'ts than Jesus. Jesus never mentioned deacons or elders, never said to watch out for bad associations (actually he seemed to revel in getting to know those who were considered "bad associations"), never set up rules for acceptable behavior for older men, never restricted women from speaking their mind, never set up a rule for determining who among the aged women were worthy of monetary help etc.!

Can't you see? Jesus' teachings were very different than Paul's and the other NT writers. He preached love and a reliance on God, they preached a system. It is the reliance on that system that has fed the religious apostasy! The "tree" has produced rotten fruit not because of Jesus but because of the NT writers who were not satisfied with the purity of Jesus' teachings; they needed to make something more.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit