Books or exercises to learn critical thinking

by Captain Obvious 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I was sitting at the meeting this morning (yes, still keeping up appearances), listening to the speaker and trying to understand his lack of logic. His talk was about education. He seemed all over the place, not really making proper points. But he did mention that early childhood education helps them to think logically...

Then I realized that my critical thinking skills.... Well they suck. I am a born-in, and have never had the opportunity to learn logical or critical thinking skills. If I had, you better believe I would have never been baptized. I am still a sucker for logical fallacies, though I am slowly learning to spot them. They just don't jump out at me like they do for some people.

Can anyone recommend a book or excercise that myself and others can read or do to develop these skills?

• Justitia Themis
  • Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Thank you! I'll get that book

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

"The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan is a very good place to start as well.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

When in college, I used a textbook called "Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: the Use of Reason in Everyday Life" by Howard Kahane. It is quite excellent, as it used examples from real world, everyday life (eg news reports, TV reports, press conferences with politicians, campaign speeches, ads, etc). Instead of studying classical logic, it was actually practical. I see it's on Amazon, used, starting at $0.01 (it's a college textbook, and used copies or old Editions are basically free, as they're almost worthless to college students who generally want the latest edition, even if the changes are only cosmetic (publishers gotta sell more textbooks)).

The web has MANY excellent resources available: just Google for Logic and Rhetoric. Nice thing there is you get many different approaches, and definitions (there's many ways to label some fallacies, eg "begging the question" goes by many different names).

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A great book I read awhile ago was, in the U.K, entitled "Believing Bullshit" it may have a slightly modified title for the sensitive souls in the USofA.

It is published by Prometheus Books N.Y, the author, Stephen Law, is British and a lecturer in Philosophy at the University of London.

The subtitle is revealing "How Not to Get Sucked into an Intellectual Black Hole".

This book will help you I am sure, it did me. It dissects most false methods of argumentation, and a good number of the arguments themselves, a great read.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Here.

Also look up the definitions of things like straw man argument, circular reasoning, logical fallacy, etc things most of us born ins never even heard of until we came here...

Oh and here.

Ooooh and here.

Qualiasoup have some good stuff..

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Many top lawyers highly raise rhetoric classes or books. They find it an invaluable aid in practice. I may read the pragmatic rhetoric book that was mentioned. I don't think studying ancient Greek and Roman philosophers is very practical. A small to medium portion would be fine.

There are a variety of forms of argument. What the WT does most emphatically, besides deliberately lying about secular content, is to not define their terms, and to just make assumptionss without any reasoning. "Hitler was good for the German nation,." as opposed to "HItler was good for the German nation because he bolstered German pride after the heavy defeat and ensuing economic inflation after WWI. Under Hitler, Germany built up its military strength so it was able to stand on its own. German speaking people were united in one country."

Merely stating something does not make it so.

Once you can recognize forms of argument, you will be able to recognize them in the WT literature and lectures. You will also learn the pros and cons of each form.

Rhetoric courses are hard to find.

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

This is just from my own experience, but one thing that I found to be an extra obstacle when trying to challenge the faulty arguments of others is that I was trained to not question those in a teaching/authority capacity.

So for me to sit in a meeting and spot the fallacies would be difficult because of the knee jerk conditioned response. This is a suggestion that might help if you have some of those same difficulties:

Jot down the speakers supporting argument. (People will likely admire your attentiveness without knowing your reason for it) It might even help to do it with some math signs. For example (this may not be what you hear, its just an illustration): worldly education = temptation. All temptation = evil in the heart. Therefore to have a pure heart do not get a worldly education.

Take your notes someplace where you feel safe and free of outside influences and then proceed to disect the argument.

I'm going to look at some of the tools suggested by others on this post because I sure could use a little extra help myself.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have another idea. Madison Avenue knows which type of message is both convincing and enthuses people. When I attended professional campaign training, I was exposed to some concepts. It was a small portion of the course, however. There must be some online sources.

Yet another idea is to investigate basic investigative journalism. The technique helps in all fields so it won't be wasted time. There will be intensive fact checking protocols and how to evaluate souces of information. One handy rule is to require several sources for a fact. I purchased a decent book on Amazon but I have not read it completely yet. Richard Bolles, What Color Is Your Parachute, the most widely read job resource book in the world, uses investigative journalism techniques. The book is very readable and inspiring.

When I look back, my process was gradual. No single event marked a great change. First, my gut told me. Second, my teachers and friends did. College helped so much. Besides the classwork, I attended a women's college. Unlikek the Witnesses, I was surrounded by a privilege crowd who felt perhaps excessive entitlement. The lesson I clearly saw was that a sense of entitlement and power gets concrete results, regardless of knowledge. I can't believe how I approach matter today compared to when I was active in the Witnesses. People with power rarely respect deferential people. One of the early criticisms of my work was that I tended to repeat what I researched rather than report my findings and filter it through my perspective and passions. A robot can do the first job.

Most of my life has been spent in world cities. A brief exile to exurbia has impressed me negatively. The exurb culture is very deferential, even among college grads. Any challenge is viewed as a serious breach of etiquette. I overhear the difference even in casual conversations. Once you are exposed to any questioning culture, you must pick up steam. The Internet provides opportunites, too, if you can't live in an urban environment. This forum is a good example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit