Pascal's Wager, Best Answer I Have Heard

by Diest 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Diest
    Diest

Many of us have heard of Pascal's Wager. Basically that you can bet on God and receive an infinite reward, or you can bet against him and live an easier life for 80 years.

This guy proves that the Wager is really misstated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqz0plz6DEs&list=FLvj-dPctp_lPxvn2W7faknw&feature=mh_lolz

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Basically that you can bet on God and receive an infinite reward, or you can bet against him and live an easier life for 80 years.

You could also bet against God and live a crappy life while you get raped and murdered as a 2 year old. And you can bet on God and get an eternal dirt-nap forever.

The whole notion is unprovable. Therefore, it is silly to even bring it up.

I question your sanity at times.

Farkel

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The guy in the video makes some of the classic blunders.

#1 If the Bible has flaws or errors in any way, God cannot exist.

#2 If the Christian fundamentalist world view is inconsistent/incorrect, God cannot exist.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

God, being the epitome of morality and righteousness would say, "Congratulations, you passed the test! We were looking for humans who would not sell out their cognitive faculties in the name of faith, showed a commitment to knowledge and intelligence, and didn't simply following the crowd or go along to get along".

OR,

God would cut the guy off and say, "you're a wordy one, aren't you? Sorry, but we're hiring Injuns, not Chiefs. To Hell you go! NEXT!!"

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I haven't watched the video yet but my thinking is that what is,is. No one knows if there is a God or not. No on knows what happens after death, but what is,is already established. If, as Pascal's Wager states (from memory), If I believe in God and he does not exist, I haven't lost anything.If I don't believe and he does exist, well I will have to deal with that and the consequences of not believing. If I believe and he does exist, maybe it will turn out well for me. That is not the reason I believe that there is an intelligent Being behind creation, but the Wager sounds good to me and I don't lose anything from believing.

• Diest
    Diest

Farkel,

How can you question my sanity? I didnt create the wager, nor do I buy into it. It is just something Christians tend to ask and it was a good answer.

BTS,

You can't adress all 1 million different thoughts that different xtians have, but I understand your point.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I watched the video and it made perfect sense to me. I could not find anything that he said with which I disagreed. He was articulate and gave a good argument for his understanding of not believing in God and the outcome if he did exist. Works for me.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Good video. Irrefutable arguments, if you believe in fairness.

Randy

• Diest
    Diest

You are right randy. IF I thought there was a god, I would have to believe he was fair.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It should be mentioned that the real Pascal died of an unknown disease after taking on an infected family (smallpox) as lodgers. He thought he was doing this "in the name of God".

He was only 39 - and probably had much more to contribute to the science of mathematics.

Had, of course, he not been taken up with a verifiably mad "second religious conversion" into the Jansenist sect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit