Offending Religion with Reality......

by AK - Jeff 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I WILL say it: the myths of the Jews.

The myths of the Jews became the myths of the Christians, and of the Muslims.

The 3 abrahamic faiths are unique in insisting that their creation stories and ancient word of mouth tales are historical and real; in so doing, the merit and beauty of the OT is diminished greatly. It is important, and from it we can learn a great deal, but Daniel didn't walk into a literal lions den, and Samson did not pull down a building with his bare hands.

Of the 3, Jews, IMO, are LESS likely to insist on the reality of the myth, and consider it more of a tradition. Like Daniel in the lions den for example; fundamental Christians consider this literal, but I doubt mainline Jewish thought considers it a true account, instead an example of apocalyptic literature that came out of the Maccabean era, one that affirms Hebrew tradition.

• Pig
    Pig

anyone seen that episode on seinfeild where his old dad accuses everyone of anti semitism whenever something must go wrong? This must be a jewish thing because i've noticed it more and more. Even as an aussie. Seems in america you can poke fun at anyone except the jews. Which seems pretty stupid since you are the biggest supporters of Israel in the world.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Yeah. Well, let's just get a little context here. Anyone who has read ODG's posts should have a pretty good idea about the level of thought and education that goes into them. Near as I can tell, he hasn't ben much of a bomb-thrower here. So when he finds himself angry about anti-semitism, one might hope that the main response is polite disagreement with an explanation of intent. Unfortunately, the responses have not, in general, been that way.

This is a very odd board.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Sulla:

Many posters feel this is an unsupported and unfounded accusation, and inflammatory.

How do you expect them to respond?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

“Which seems pretty stupid since you are the biggest supporters of Israel in the world. ”

It is precisely because the USA is the biggest supporter of Israel in the world that people are cautious about commenting on the increasing power of Jews in both Israel and the USA . It is accepted that Jews can publicly express their aversion to their children marrying unclean, uncircumcised gentiles. Make a negative comment about Jews and if you are in say, the entertainment industry, you may never work again. Mention that Jews are becoming too powerful and you will be compared to Hitler.

Just look at the fuss Jews are making in Germany because the government has recently ruled that child circumcision can only be carried out for medical reason. They intend to ignor the ruling. In the UK we are more outspoken about threats to our culture, yet the thought police are working on Brits to silence d issent .

• Terry
    Terry

The myths of the Jews, hmmm.

So because I’m Jewish, I’ve been “dumb-downed”? So that would mean that Jews are “a population of ignorants.”

That’s anti-Semitism. That’s more than just being offensive.

I believe this is my cue to leave, ladies and gentlemen. That has crossed the line.

Wait up!

Before you run from the building---it isn't on fire!

I think you've accidentally created a Straw Man idea and are responding to THAT rather any intended slur.

Look at your words where you are actively reshaping the rather bland preceding phrase: So that would mean that Jews are...

In the Academic community many of the ancient writings are considered myth. This does not make practising Jews anything other than

"believers". It is an Academic opinion and historical observation to call such writings "myth".

We need your counter-balance with cogent, well-reasoned arguments in rebuttal.

I think you are more than up to the task if you don't flee from what is obviously a DISCUSSION GROUP!

Reasonable people can honestly disagree without animus!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit