The Logic Of Christ

by radar 14 Replies latest jw friends

• aChristian
    aChristian

Radar,

You wrote: You would not give your daughter groceries and at the same time allow your other daughter to starve would you? What loving father would neglect giving his child something so basic as food?

Granted, God is not at this time providing all the needs of all the people on earth. That is not proof that a loving God does not exist. It is only proof that if He exists He has not chosen to bring an end to all evil and all suffering at this time.

Let me ask you this. If a good God does exist, would you really believe He exists if everyone on earth always had plenty to eat? Of course you would not. For you know as well as I do that a good all powerful God, once He decided to stop evil and suffering, would have to stop all evil and suffering. If He were to stop only part of it, like world hunger, then wouldn't you still be asking the question, "If a good God exists, why is there other kinds of evil and suffering in the world?" Would you really be any more likely to accept the existence of a good God if He stopped world hunger but allowed people to continue hurting each other? Of course you would not be. For a good all powerful God, once He decided to bring about an end to evil and suffering would have to bring about an end to all evil and suffering. He could not end world hunger but allow people to continue to murder each other. He could not prevent all murder but continue to permit beatings and rapes. He could not stop all beatings and rapes but continue to allow all robberies, cheating and adultery.

I think you get my point. And I get yours. Basically, your position really maintains that any amount of suffering or unrighteousness in the universe proves there is no God. However, I maintain that God has allowed suffering, death and evil to exist for a time in order for us to learn valuable lessons while being exposed to it. And because God is both good and all powerful He cannot stop only some evil and suffering. The Bible tells us that God will one day bring an end to evil. And it tells us that when He does so, He will bring an end to all evil.

• aChristian
    aChristian

Running man,

You wrote: Wouldn't your children who starved and lived in the street, be rightfully bitter? - Especially if they later found out that you were wealthy, in fact controlling all of the food in the world?

The comments I made to Radar above also apply to your question.

• radar
    radar

Achristian

You wrote: “Granted, God is not at this time providing all the needs of all the people on earth. That is not proof that a loving God does not exist”

My original post was not about whether God exists or not, simply that the logic of what some Christ is purported to say is in error and reveals the God of the Bible to be an unloving uncaring entity. The Christian writers make statements about God’s goodness, yet reading about God’s actual dealings with mankind in the Bible, reveals him to be a no better than Satan, playing cruel games with people lives.

The existence of evil in the Earth does not of itself prove there is no God, but it does prove that the Bible’s depiction of a loving God, a sort of “Big dad in the sky” is rubbish. The Bible does not glorify that kind of God at all, and those of you who think by Apologising for it puts you somehow in a holy position are mistaken.

The Bible is all about man creating God in their own image

• aChristian
    aChristian

Radar,

In your original post you quoted Matthew 5:45, in which we read that Jesus said, "God makes it rain upon the righteous and the unrighteous."

I understand that you were questioning his logic. However, I think his logic in this instance was quite sound. He was using this example of God's goodness to teach us that we should be willing to do good things for our enemies, just as God does some good things for His enemies. Jesus did not say that God provides all of his enemies needs. Neither did he say that we should supply all of our enemies' needs.

I wrote: Granted, God is not at this time providing all the needs of all the people on earth. That is not proof that a loving God does not exist.

You responded: My original post was not about whether God exists or not, simply that the logic of what Christ is purported to say is in error and reveals the God of the Bible to be an unloving uncaring entity.

I said that the example you provided does not prove "that a LOVING God does not exist." You said that Christ's words reveal "the God of the Bible to be an unloving uncaring entity." In other words, you were, in fact, implying that Christ's words indicate that the God of the Bible is not a loving God and "that a LOVING God does not exist." That is why I argued that neither his words nor your commentary on them proved any such thing.

You wrote: The existence of evil in the Earth does not of itself prove there is no God, but it does prove that the Bible’s depiction of a loving God, a sort of “Big dad in the sky” is rubbish.

I don't think that the Bible depicts God to be a “Big dad in the sky” who always provides all the needs of all His children. It seems to me you have set up a "straw man" to knock over.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

So the Bible says it rains upon all men and the sun shines upon all men and attributes the source to God. Now whether you believe in God or not, it does rain upon all men and rain is needed for crops to grow and refill reservoirs to supply drinking water, etc. And the sun does shine upon all and doesn't ask you any questions nor withholds its light from anyone. Everything is fine, until there is too much rain (causing floods) and too much sun (causing droughts) and subsequent famines, etc. So just take God out of the picture. How do non-Bible advocates explain why there is too much rain or too much sun? If it just happens that still doesn't explain evil. How does no God and no Bible explain evil any better?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit