Another NWT Mistranslation?

by Sargon 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• julien
    julien

However the NWT bills itself as a literal translation.. The question is does the phrase "in opposition" belong in the translation in that verse.. Clearly Nimrod was evil, that is not in question.

• Masterji
    Masterji

Regarding the METHOD of translating:
    "It has been our endeavor to make this translation as literal as possible to the point of understandableness."

In Genisis 10:9 the footnote gives an alternate rendering.
    Literally, "in front of," but in the sense of defiance and opposition to, as in the case of the same expression at Numbers 16:2; 1 Chronicles 14:8 and 2 Chronicles 14:10. The LXX reads en.an.ti'on, generally meaning "against".

M

• Solace
    Solace

It does amaze me how the N.W.T. will alter the bible to support their teachings. Usually small differences. "a god" instead of "God" makes a world of difference.
    One day reading the bible, I came to Matthew 25:46. It deals with hell and punishment.
    Most bibles read, of the righteous going into eternal "life" and others into eternal "punishment".
    N.W.T. reads everlasting "cutting off" instead of "punishment". I mean, what is that? I couldnt find the phrase "cutting off" in any other bible. I know it is a minor difference but their version more easily supports their teaching of "no hell and punishment" and other bibles support the hell punishment doctrine.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

If you look at the list Siegswife has copied, and some obviously failed to understand, including the original poster, you will see the word "oppsition" used at some occations, and added with the other articles some have copied, one cannot but agree that the NWT is an accurate translation here.

• Satanus
    Satanus

God wasn't very smart when he used an imprecise language such as the jews had to write his book for all mankind. The dialect has endless variations for on stinking little word. I would think that there were better languages that he could have used, or he could have invented a 'perfect' one. But no, he preferred a language without even any written vowels to it at the time. Thus leaving his divine words open to endless interpretation and endless splintering of groups of people attempting to follow his book. An amateur little god indeed, is he.

SS

• gumby
    gumby

Sargon. This will be helpfull also with research. Commentaries are great.
    http://bible.crosswalk.com/

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just because some commentators, and the Targums, support the idea that the meaning is "opposition", doesn't mean that liberties may be taken with the text.
    The NWT is supposed to be a literal version, not an interpretive one.
    If they wanted to support that idea they should merely have printed a Watchtower on it, or written a commentary.

• Sargon
    Sargon

Ifail to understand how a list of words, as the Old Hippie states, proves the NWT to be an accurate translation. Included with the word opposition are other words such as accept, accepted, adjacent, defer, entertained, honor, honourable, kindly, respect, respected.
    Using your circular logic i could translate this verse as:
    "Nimrod was a kindly respected by Jehovah.", and be considered an acurate translation of the scripture.

• Earnest
    Earnest

LittleToe

Of course you are quite right to say that simply because the Targums and Josephus support the idea that the meaning is "opposition" doesn't mean that liberties may be taken with the text. Nevertheless, if a Hebrew word can have a number of different meanings (as the list by siegswife indicates) it is relevant to know how the Jews themselves have understood the word.

The fact is that the translation "mighty hunter before Jehovah" does not express the nuance of the Hebrew word. Likewise, the Greek word enantion, used in the LXX translation of this verse, expresses the idea of two men face-to-face. Now if there is an atmosphere of rivalry then that gives the colour of hostility to the word. This is the meaning of the word in the context of Genesis 10:8-12 and is so conveyed in the NWT.

Earnest

"Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" - Rev. Charles Dodgson.

• Masterji
    Masterji

Earnest,

Right on again.
    Anyone who checks the other references on the word "before"
    will see it clearly.

M

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit