Time to get rid of the monarchy

by jamesmahon 161 Replies latest members politics

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

I say 'time' when I actually mean it should have been done years ago. Fact I have no choice over my head of state is just plain stupid. Full stop.

However, primary reason I want to present at the moment is one that is actually presented as a reason to keep the monarchy - it has no political power.

I was wondering once why there are hardly any politicians and certainly none in power that are republican.

The answer is simple.

In the UK the ruling party has to share power with no one (ok - current ConLib pact the exception but this will not happen again for many years). As has been pointed out before, we have a four or five year dictatorship in this country. We have a second chamber. Unelected, revising only and mostly full of ex MPs. The ruling party, especially with a majority of say 30 or 40 MPs, can do whatever the hell they please. There are no effective checks and balances. Did the queen step in over the Iraq war? Or tuition fees? Or the deficit? No because she has no democratic mandate and so no authority to do so.

Now, why on earth would any politician in this system want an elected head of state with which they would potentially have to share power? So supporting the status quo makes complete sense. But it makes for dreadful government.

• Diest
    Diest

I see your point James. For the UK I think a parlimentary system with 2 elected chambers would be best. Two party systems suck.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Have you ever listened to a debate in the House of Lords?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Mr. Mahon - you DO realize that this would be about as popular in England as Socialized National Medicine would be in the United States?

That is - supported by less than 30%.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

It comes down to people not liking change Mr Woods. That and most people walking around with their brains in park.

Qcmbr - it makes no difference how vigorous debates are in the Lords. They are at best a revising and delaying chamber. You are not seriously suggesting that the Lords acts as a serious balance to the whim of Government are you? And to be honest they shouldn't. They have no democratic legitimacy.

Debates in the Commons matter little come to that. The majority are just whipped into obeying whatever the goverment wants.

diest - I would make party politics illegal, make everyone independent and introduce far more referendums into the decision making process. It wouls take a while to bed down but the system we have is so broke it needs a radical overhaul.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Didn't Cameron just face a Tory revolt over his proposed House of Lords reform? Was it a sop to the anti-monarchist elements in the Liberal Democrat party, or did it originate with Cameron?

I just find it somewhat demeaning to make her wear all that royal regalia while reading a speech from the throne that she might not even agree with personally. Has there been any serious proposals to disconnect the monarchy from all the official governmental roles and let them keep their titles and all? That might be a fair compromise.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

There is no fair compromise. She has not been chosen by the people of this country. For some reason some argue this as a strength of the current system.

'House of Lords' and 'House of Commons'. It is the 21st century don't you know.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

You'll get no argument from me in defence of the monarchy, be it British, Spanish, or any other hereditary position. Wasn't it Thomas Paine who compared a hereditary ruler to a hereditary astonomer or physician? I think you'll see a revival in the anti-monarchist fortunes when Charles III is crowned. PM Gillard in Australia has already been on record as saying that would be the right time for Australia to ditch the monarchy. At least in the dominions they can 'choose' their own Governor General, but it still has to go through the silly motions of being 'approved' by her. Did you read about Mike Hastings, the forklift operator in Australia being the rightful heir to the House of York? He had a good sense of humour and joked about sending 'Lizzie' a bill for back rent. But Hastings was a republican, and never wanted a piece of it.

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

I'm hoping that Charles becomes even more political than he is now. Then people will start taking note. Apparently he doesn't want to be called Charles when he is king though. He thinks the name is too closely associated with kings who lose their heads.

• cedars
    cedars

Booooo hissssss!!

Our monarchy brings stability and continuity, and is the envy of the civilized world.

Our Queen is dignified and competent, and lets the parliamentarians get on with their important work of legislating without any interference on her part, which is exactly how it should be.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit