do you own a 4wd vehicle?

by Glander 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

If so, and it's the type that requires you to switch to 4wd, how often do you use that capability? Why? I know more than a few people with 4wd capability but never use it. A couple of these folks don't even know what it's for.

You may drive an AWD, that is, it is always in 4wd drive, such as a Subaru. Do you notice a benefit driving in normal conditions?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I have a Trail Blazer that I have to manually switch over to 4WD. It's great during the winter, though last winter was so mild, especially for Wisconsin, that I only ended up using it about 3 or 4 times.

• trebor
    trebor

You may drive an AWD, that is, it is always in 4wd drive, such as a Subaru. Do you notice a benefit driving in normal conditions?

My wife has an AWD Honda CRV, I have a Honda Accord. Regarding traction, under normal conditions I experience no benefit with AWD. Under heavy rain, I see a slight difference at times, and under heavy snow a greater difference at times regarding traction control. My wife swears by the CRV and never had any problem with it despite some harsh snow storms.

However, the Accord handles great too.

Tires make all the difference in the world too. AWD with balding or crap tires won't do you any good. I never buy cheap tires and never let them even come close to becoming bald.

• designs
    designs

Have had 2 Jeeps, CJ series with manual locking hubs, great fun on desert trails and fire roads. Use to take my son and his buddies camping in the back country.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Almost all Porsche Turbo (and many non-turbo) 911s are full-time 4wd. This is done for handling reasons.

They are, of course, so low (and with such unsuitable tires) that they would be helpless in more than a couple of inches of snow.

I had a friend from snow country who maintained that for snow, all 4wd really did was get you stuck twice as deep as 2wd.

• Glander
    Glander

Those who own vehicles that require the hubs to be manually engaged obviously know what conditions indicate the advantage of 4wd capability.

I suppose my interest in this subject has been generated by my observation that many people who drive these vehicles don't have a clue what the function is for. Just a cool switch or button on the dash or gear lever. They have never been off a paved road or driven in ice or snow.

• Diest
    Diest

I have an AWD car that I like in the snow. I live and grew up in snow country and would say that it allowed me to get out of some bad spots more than once. I think it handles a little better than 2wd, but much of the handling comes from the driver.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

As long as I'm in Pittsburgh I'm going to want an AWD or 4WD. With the hills it helps. Sadly, I do not own a 4WD or AWD.

• blondie
    blondie

I was glad when I got my first FWD after years of getting stuck with rear drive...I live in snow country and it has never proven to me to be worth the cost to get AWD. I am very attached to staying on paved roads. Just have good tires, keep the gas tank full, and make sure you have a surival bag for cold weather if you get stuck.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

I have awd and love it but the gas mileage is bad.21 mpg..Honda crv 08

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit