A petition that really works! Change the law to bring the WTS to its knees!

by Diest 29 Replies latest jw friends

• mP
    mP

Will never happen, you must wake up and realise that religion and government have been partners for thousands of years perhaps longer. They dont care about you or me or kids. Lets not forget both have killed millions, any kids that are hurt are irrelevant they only care about power.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I usually discourage people from wild politcal and legal schemes. The change has already happened in many states. It clearly is possible. Without doing much legal research, I looked at FindLaw and Cornell Law School websites. Ex post facto deals with punitive measures. Recently, the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld legislation that many commentators viewed as punitive. Examples are sex offender regestries and the John/Adam Walsh federal law.

If ex post facto law were such a big topic, law schools and the bar examiners would give it more than passing treatment. The clause that includes the bar on ex post facto laws and bills of attainder was included to address specifically British practice at the time of Independence. These types of law were extremely political.

It would be nice if we celebrated each other's strengths. Laws should give notice to those affected so they can conform their conduct. Such laws were a rallying cry against British const'l law.

• Diest
    Diest

Well Mp, a law like I am talking about was already passed in California. The one trump card that I have seen work on religion's power is laws regarding child abuse. Blondie pointed out that 36 states have taken away the confidentiality of clergy when it comes to child abuse.

Children's safty is the only issue that I have seen that trumps religion

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Not that it is important but "inclusionary" is not correct. The Fourteenth Amendment incorporated the Bill of Rights to apply to the states. It is nice to know that some people understand federalism. Justice Thomas does not believe the Fourteenth Amendment incorporate all the amendments that comprise the Bill of Rights. They always speak in terms of incorporation.

• Diest
    Diest

Farkel,

Batting 0 for 2.

• LV101
    LV101

Some great points above but I'm sure for Diest's idea/great post. An effort should be attempted to protect children.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Diest: "I know that most people on here dislike the idea of a petition."

I've noticed that. Why? I mean, seriously, why?

• Diest
    Diest

blindnomore, most people think that a petition will not acomplish much. To me some sort of movement to change the statute of limitations needs to happen.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

How about drafting a sample letter to legislators and other influential people,such as the Governor and church groups? It will not look good if everyone just clicks and sends the same letter but having a draft saves time. I have confidence that you would draft a great letter.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

It takes a first step for everything. I have great respect for men and women who took this monumental first steps. Did you know the story behind the recent changed California Law? It all took one ordinary woman, a victim of sexual crime, who courageously fought and spoke out for the sake of innocent victims. She didn't get justice due to satute of limitation Law but has paved way for others like Candace Conti.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit