ICSA Pre-Conference Day - Coming to Terms with Your Story: Writing to Heal

by Lady Lee 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

ICSA Pre-Conference Day

Montreal Canada

July 4-12 2012

The conference started a day early with a pre-conference workshop gearing towards helping us write our stories - Coming to Terms with Your Story: Writing to Heal. For years now I have been stuck at a certain spot in my autobiography. This workshop is exactly what I need.

More than that it has been amazing to listen to the stories of so many other people as they talk about the things they have experienced. We are more the same than we are different. I hear parts of my story in every voice I hear, see my world through their eyes.

So far I think I am the only ex-Witness here. I certainly haven’t run into anyone I know, either ex-Witness or still active.

One thing that I have found interesting is that many of the people who are here and, have never been to a conference before, never really stopped to think that JWs might also be a cult. “They look so normal”. But then looking around we all look so normal – just like any person you would meet on the street or next door.

Coming to Terms with Your Story: Writing to Heal .

There are many ways we can think about writing our story or begin to look at it in a certain way. No one way is better than another. Some people naturally organize their world to help them make sense of things. I am a list-maker so that seems to be what has worked best for me. But I got stuck. So thinking about my story in some other way might help me move forward.

Listing is one way (which I use for just about everything).

Clusters . Sometimes you have an idea and as you think of it a whole bunch of other ideas spin off from it. Sometimes more ideas come from those. The speaker gave us some examples, and let us try them. Clusters didn’t work for me at all.

Third way we can address our story – Free-Writng. That is the gold mine for me. I just allow words and thoughts to wander through my head. I often might have a starting point but I am never sure where it will go like I would with a list. But I can often sense the end as I write where I am going with it.

A fourth way of looking at your story is a fun game Truth or Consequences. In a way it could be seen as a spin off of Lists. You draw a line down the middle of the page and write Truth on one side and Consequences on the other.

Then list a topic you might write about and write it under the truth side. Then under the opposite side write down the consequence of writing about it. Sometimes one consequence might lead to another truth – or other consequences. But then we might think of consequences as only negative things. But I have found that sometimes the consequences are positive. So it would be interesting to find both the negatives and positives as well as the spin-off truths in your story.

We could start with a list of questions and find answers to them.

What was your leader like?

Were you misled and if so how?

What was promised? What didn’t they tell you?

You could attack the beliefs or your doubts, or your feelings about what happened to you while with the group.

What aspects of the group’s beliefs do I still think are correct?

Am I afraid to meet other people who are still in the group?

Do I think about going back? What triggers those thoughts?

One more method that I have used especially for the first 20 years of my life was a time line. They suggested years but I know many people have used where they lived, what school they were going to, or what congregation you were in especially if you were in more than one.

And that was just the workshop before the conference even began. There are a couple of conferences in the evening. One was for people who have never been to one of these conferences and one for professionals. Initially I thought I would go to the session for new people. When I asked they said it was really for people who were newly out of a cult not for someone who has been out for 27 years so I went to the session for professionals.

There is a lot more for me to share so keep reading.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

will be posting the evening session notes later today

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

ICSA Conference
    All day I was looking around at people. This is the city where I was a Jehovah's Witness. I keep wondering if someone I know will show up in one of the rooms. As I sit and listen to the stories others tell I realize how similar our stories are. The degree of control, the shunning, even disfellowshipping; words being used to describe things we know so well. We think we are the exception, we are different. But what hear, what I see all around me are people who have been used, betrayed and tossed aside when we were no longer useful or we fled knowing we would lose a huge part of our lives including family. We are not alone. Others will and do understand.

ICSA PreConference Session for Professionals

During the evening of the pre-conference sessions there were two topics. One was for people who were new to the conferences which I had planned on attending. But after talking to a few people I realized it was really for people who were recently out of a cult. So I opted for the second topic which was for professionals working with cult survivors or researchers.

Even though I am no longer practicing, much of the information was interesting. It is always good to see what the experts are talking about – especially since I don’t consider myself one of them.

Why do people join cults? The age old topic of who joins cults is pretty much what we have thought about all along. NOBODY says to themselves, “I think I will join a cult today”. Most join any group for very noble reasons.

• No idea it is a cult
    • Good intensions
    • Deceived
    • Looking for Community
    • Sincerity
    • Salvation
    • Spiritual High
    • Idealism
    • Find a Mission in Life
    • Enlightenment
    • Love

When do people join Cults? This part was again pretty much what many have talked about here. They really stressed that it was rare that unstable people joined cults. Too often people think cult members have two heads. But looking around we are just normal everyday people.

• Increased vulnerability – recent losses, perhaps a job, a family member has died, health issues, or even becoming a parent, etc.
    • Cultural Disillusionment
    • High Levels of Anxiety
    • History of Abuse
    • It is rare that individuals are unstable

What keeps them in cults? The sense of powerlessness is at the core of why I think many people stay in cults. Some people may stay because the cult gives them a status among the members they would never get in real life (becoming an elder or other special privilege). Bur I think that you can’t manipulate people unless you have already have a degree of power over them.

• Cults creates sense of powerlessness
    • Manipulates rewards and punsihments
    • Closes system of logic
    • Rewards desired behaviors

Assessment tools I was surprised at how many assessment tools there are out there. Clearly I have some catching up to do. I was glad to see that Emotional Abuse scales are being used. Too often professionals donm.t like the cross-over into other types of abuse. But they seemed very open to using various scales from other areas of abuse. This is great because it lends itself to a broader ability to determine the types of abuse a person has experienced. The one challege they see and I agree is thay many professionals know very little about cults and how they operate and the degree that spiritual abuse can affect a person.

• Emotional Abuse scales
    • Individual Cult Index
    • Toxic Faith Index
    • Character and Spiritual Abuse Systems
    • Group Psychological Abuse Scales

Groups to be wary of This was interesting. There are certianly many groups we need to be wary of. Most of us have a real allergy to anything that hints of controlling people. I had no knowledge of these teen boot camps. It sounds like they are regimenting this kids as if they were soldiers in boot camp. I can see serious problems with putting kids through that kind of intense programming.

MLMs I have known about for many years. I knew Witness way back when. Her parents left the Witnesses and joined Amway. We were horrified. Strange that we saw Amway as a cult but never made the connection to the Witnesses. My ex tried dozens of these MLMs when we were together. I never paid much attention and he never stayed in one for veryu long. Too much of a conflict of time with the Witnesses I guess.

• Teen Boot Camps
    • MLM (Multi-Level Marketing) Schemes

Avenues into Cults The last on the list here surprised me but it really shouldn’t Therapy cults are just klike any other. They recruit by word of mouth.

• Through parents involvement
    • Doubts about present commitments
    • Seek therapy despite disapproval
    • Sees value of therapy -> recommended clinicians

One thing that I was very glad to see was they’re use of Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as the prefer diagnosis used when assessing cult survivors. Living in a cult isn’t a one-time traumatic event. In most cases it goes on for years. Courtois has been a favorite of mine since her first book was published in 1992.

• PTSD is used but prefer Complex PTSD (Courtois and Ford, 2009)
    • Treating C-PTSD Trauma and Recovery Courtois 1992

A couple of books that were recommended are:

Livia Barden Coping with Cult Involvement

Lalich & Tobias Take Back your Life.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Lady Lee, I wanted to go to the conference but had too many commitments. Thanks for the updates.

PHG

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Next year they will be in Italy. 2014 they should be back in North America

But they give workshops all over the place. If they are anything like the Writing workshop they are worth going to

• sharon-c123
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sharon Believe me I saw no one sleeping. It ain't like a WT study or public talk. No pre-meeting studying. No read the paragraph first. No befuddled men wandering around with a mike to put in your face.

didn't have to wear a skirt either. People dressed comfortably.

There was even ice water that we could get up and help ourselves to any time we wanted.

• sharon-c123
    sharon-c123

Sharon Believe me I saw no one sleeping. It ain't like a WT study or public talk. No pre-meeting studying. No read the paragraph first. No befuddled men wandering around with a mike to put in your face.

didn't have to wear a skirt either. People dressed comfortably.

There was even ice water that we could get up and help ourselves to any time we wanted.

Ohh, that sounds really cool.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy LL! I'm glad the conference went well. I'm curious about a couple of things on the writing workshop:

When you say listing, what are you listing? Is it the experience itself, how you felt about it and so on?

I'm actually intrigued by the Truth or Consequences game. That sounds like a fun way to explore, as you say, a long held belief and an interesting way to approach looking at it. Now the time line suggestion wouldn't work for me as I tend to remember events in straight line timeline fashion.

I'm really interested in this because I'm stuck in a story as well and the suggestions you mention sound intriguing. Have you tried any yet?

Finally I'm curious about the cults that were represented there. Who had the most exes there? I would imagine there are quite a few similarities though.

Chris

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Why do people join cults? The age old topic of who joins cults is pretty much what we have thought about all along. NOBODY says to themselves, “I think I will join a cult today”. Most join any group for very noble reasons.

Interesting question and I agree that most people join for idealistic noble reasons. Do you think there is a difference between a second generation cult member, one who was born in, and one who joins on their own? I ask because I joined on my own at age 9 and although we were both hard core believers, I was more idealistic and drawn to it more than my ex-wife. Yet when I saw the lie I abandoned it rather quickly whilst she stayed in for another 13 years.

So I'm wondering about the different dynamics in play between one who joins and one born and raised.

I would lean toward the vulnerability angle. I would think one joins because the cult's facade, the lie, fills a need in the individual.

Okay break is over, back to the salt mines. I want to respond more later.

Chris

When do people join Cults? This part was again pretty much what many have talked about here. They really stressed that it was rare that unstable people joined cults. Too often people think cult members have two heads. But looking around we are just normal everyday people..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit