Failed Old Testament Prophecies

by Canary11 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Canary11
    Canary11

The Tyre prophecy in Ezekiel 29 is one failed prophecy. Nebuchadnezzar never destroyed and plundered Tyre like he was predicted to.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The thing about prophecies is that they are usually vague enough you can apply them to just about any instance. I mean look at the balls of the WT to say that the horns in Revelation were referring to a series of conventions. That takes some balls.

Did you know that there were quite a few supposed "messiah's" in Jesus' day? There were stories of people who did stuff like raise the dead and heal sick people.

Welcome to the board by the way.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Funny

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

All of them.

The ones that came 'true' were written after the fact.

Daniel is a good example; the 'prophecy' starts to get wrong when forecasting the actual future.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Mr Freeze, I thought they were the trumpet blasts,excellent point Canary.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS. has proven that ancient prophecies can still be made commercially viable 2000 years later on.

All prophecies of the bible were told to establish as sense of identifying reverence toward people who were

supposedly connected to the spiritual outside world, anointed spiritual seers if it were.

To the ancient Hebrews this was of course was Yahweh and later on his supposed son Jesus, as told in the new testament.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

You're right, it was trumpet blasts. It is all bullcrap anyway.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There was an old thread about this, perhaps 2 years ago ? I cannot remember the title to search for it, but one semi-apologist (for the Bible, sort of half-hearted) suggested the prophecy about Midian was a "true" one.

The problem with that one is that it predicts the demise of Midian, not difficult, tribes ,nations and even Empires go eventually, but it predicted the safe continuation of the nation of Israel, sadly they were quashed by the Romans long before Midian went.

I have not found one " fulfilled prophecy" in the whole Bible that stands up to scrutiny.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

He took the mainland city, did he not? And the the island part of the city managed to survive until Alexander finished it off. But it is not a failed prophecy, as he conquered the mainland city.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Since most of the stuff in the OT was written hundreds of years after-the-fact, it's pretty easy to make "prophecies" about stuff that happened before one wrote about them.

I love that chapter in Genesis (I don't have it handy right now, perhaps 36?) where "Moses" gave a list of rulers who ruled "before there were any Kings of Israel." This means at LEAST before the time of David, because Moses didn't say "a" King. He said "Kings." Now since there was a period of 450 years of Judges after Moses died and before King Saul and since "Moses" was talking in the past tense before he died, one can only conclude that a) Moses didn't write that part of Genesis, or 2) it's all bullshit.

If one gets halfway through Genesis and finds that sticky little problem, one must wonder what other bullshit is in the next 65 Bible books which follow it.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit