When did the religion become a cult?

by Hermano 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hermano
    Hermano

Thanks for the replies everyone. To clear things up, by cult I mean a high control group that uses coercive techniques. I know Russell wrote that without his books one wouldn't understand Scriptures. My understanding however, is that "congregations" in those days were autonomous groups that studied his books. Seems to me that many of the loyalty tests came with Rutherford, perhaps because of the way he came into power and because he did not have the widespread support that Russell enjoyed.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Thanks for the replies everyone. To clear things up, by cult I mean a high control group that uses coercive techniques. I know Russell wrote that without his books one wouldn't understand Scriptures. My understanding however, is that "congregations" in those days were autonomous groups that studied his books. Seems to me that many of the loyalty tests came with Rutherford, perhaps because of the way he came into power and because he did not have the widespread support that Russell enjoyed.

It does certainly seem that whilst Russell was a bit of a deluded nutter, Rutherford was more about control.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I think it was 'born' a cult (as NVR2L8 said) - ''Russellites'' - so from the start members followed the direction and beliefs of one man who used the Bible in conjunction with his personal beliefs (eg., pyramids). The 'Truth' cannot evolve from a lie - instead it develops gathering more cult traits, eg., shunning

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Several years ago someone I called on in service told me he wanted to study the bible with me but without WT publications...I then realized that I couldn't and that in fact I always had been studying the WT doctrines contained in their books and magazines...I was helpless without the formulated answers provided by the WTS found in the "reasoning" book...on the other hand this man used only the scriptures to show me what he believed in...I never returned to visit him as he had well predicted because I was affraid to be confronted by an "apostate"...Today I realize that reading the bible without the "help" of the WT publications there is no governing body in Jerusalem, no organization, no restrictions on the medical use of blood, that Jesus asked his true followers to take care of the material needs (not just spiritual) of the less fortunate...None of this is taugh by the JWs and this make them a cult, followers of men rather than followers of Christ.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and I want to thank all who have contributed. I believe this religion didn't start as a cult, but before Charles Russell died it had become one. As has been stated, originally the groups Russell led were autonomous "classes" that met to study the Bible. They were mostly concerned with the hoped-for Second Coming taking place in 1914. There were no ministerial servants, no elders, no circuit overseers or other upper-echelon officers. There were no requirements to proselytize and if people wanted to spread the message they could get help from the WTBTS which was strictly a printing concern and would supply them with literature.

By the time Russell died, matters had changed. An organization had taken shape which revolved exclusively around Russell. The struggle for its control that erupted upon his death eventually led to three-quarters of the Bible Students going their own separate ways. The remnant was re-energized and reorganized by J.F. Rutherford who then took the Bible Students in a completely new direction. To do so, however, he had to destroy the personality cult centered on Russell and transfer those feelings of loyalty to the organization which he headed. It was from Rutherford's time on that we saw the end of congregational autonomy and the subjugation of those congregations to Brooklyn's control. Gradually, that control spread from congregational matters to those of the most intimate and personal in the lives of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The road from 'wacky religion' and 'spinoff sect' to cult was a relatively short one. Once the cult had become the norm for this religion, there could be no going back to the way things were done 130 years ago.

Quendi

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

There was a thread a while ago (and I think a YouTube as well) theorizing that they became a cult in the early 80's when they said to treat DAs the same way they treated DFs. I think that makes a lot of sense, as there is no way to leave, at least officially, without being sanctioned.

• Giordano
    Giordano

By this definition #1 fit's all religions: #2 certanily fits the JW'S among many others.

cult

Noun:
    1. A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
    2. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Russell, Rutherford, the both of em' had wacky ideas from the start, I'd say from Day One it started out as a cult.

I'm sure both of these guys probably woke up from a drunken stupor and decided they could start the only true religion.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As far as the JWS go I think one should point to J Rutherford who took over the reins of WTS. publishing Corporation.

His personal struggle to take over the Corporation as the controlling president and what had transpired in this endeavor ,

was the probable start of the strictly enforced " are you with us or not " ?

This power struggle and the compounding self imposed identity of which he cultivated around himself was the problem cause and begining roots

of this highly controlling religious organization which exists today.

Since the organization cultivated its alluring doctrines on false information and coercion, its not surprising it evolved the way it did.

• talesin
    talesin

Don't use the word. It becomes whatever your audience wants it to be.

Yes, true. Thanks for pointing that out, Chris.

xo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit