How the Conti case has re-opened a can of worms for me

by Soldier77 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I haven't been one to start a lot of threads and I've actually been gone from this board for about a year only to return after the Conti case blew open. I stopped coming here because I had moved on with my life and really started to put being a JW behind me and stopped concerning myself with it.

My anger and hate of the WTBTS had come to a simmer, I don't think it will or would have completely cooled, but then on one fateful morning I awake to an email from my mother. I haven't talked to my mother in about 6 months as our last conversation was her spouting off how great of a time she was having serving where the need was greater and it was all about her and her husband and Jehovah this and Jehovah that. Made me sick. But I digress...

So the email said nothing in it. It just had the link to the Conti case on msnbc. I opened the link and read. When I stopped reading, I read it again. I couldn't believe what I was reading. There was a certain sense of joy, joy of seeing the WTBTS being exposed and losing. Joy in seeing some justice being done for this young woman when she was only 9 years old. Then the anger started to boil. Reading this case and the responses from the WT rep made my anger and hate raise to a level I had never felt before.

This incident opened the floodgates, a wave of emotions of my own experience of abuse as a child. Growing up my mother was suicidal and in a deep depression. She was just not there when you looked into her eyes. There was this glazed look and bewilderment. Her husband at the time was from an abusive family himself, one where all of his brothers and sisters were molested by their father. In fact, they were so twisted being raised this way, this man, whom my mother married, openly confessed to sleeping with his sister, mulitple times. Unfortunately for me, he was now a part of my life. Unfortunately, he was abusive to me, however, not to the level where I would say rape or anything grossly sickening, but still, groping is still abuse.

Although I didn't experience a level of abuse as some, it still exposed me to the policies and procedures of the JC from an early age. Because there were no "two witnesses" to my accusation, there was nothing the elders "could do" to bring this sick man to justice. Believe me when I say I know firsthand the story is true, the WTBTS does nothing to protect it's children. They still let this sick man roam the congregation freely, letting him be in the company of children in service and the parents have no idea what a predator this man is.

Through the years, I'm now in my mid-thirties, I've attempted to confront the elders and get this out in the open, even after moving through several states and countries. In all cases, sitting through a JC and rehashing all of those sickening details all over again. Through all of this, my mother has always been the one, even though there was nothing that the WTBTS could do to "out" this man, she would bring it up every 4-5 years and try again.

A little history of my mother to help understand the f**ked up situation I grew up in. My mother was abused when she was a child in the most severe way you could think, and then some. SRA (Satanic Ritual Abuse) is no milk and cookies. Especially when that SRA was being performed by a CO! This caused her depression and suicidal tendencies when I was a child. My mother was basicly not there to raise me at all. My grandparents were my support system, my fathers parents were amazing, healthy, positive and caring. They instilled everything good in me, they helped me to see the world as it is, not great, but not bad either. They were JWs too, my grandfather was an elder for years, all the way till his death, but he was the most balanced man I have ever met. He never put the organization before his family. Their oldest son, my father, left before I could know him, he had some issues with commitment and liked to screw around. Fast forward to now and he and I have a decent relationship and a positive one, he is not a JW anymore.

So back to now, my mother is nagging me to bring all of this up again with the elders. As if she has some amnesia, she doesn't remember that the last time I went through this with her I told her I will never go through this again. I have sought therapy, went to counselling and am a healthy grown adult. I don't need to go through this again as it would be experiencing the abuse all over again, according to my therapist. I feel like telling her to go to hell to be completely honest. I feel I need to tell her that she needs to seek out a good psychologist/psychiatrist and get the help she needs. But I can't, I can't because I don't want to or because I can't be honest with her. I can't because she has told me that she doesn't want to hear anything negative about the WTBTS. Can you believe that? She is one of those rebellious JWs. She will actively speak out against the things she doesn't agree with, but if I say something I don't agree with, even if it's the same thing she has issue with, she shuts me down, saying I sound like an apostate. It blows my mind.

I honestly want to walk away from her emotionally, I actually want to shun her. I want nothing to do with her as she is not wanting to get help herself and is using my abuse as an outlet for hers. Isn't that abusive in of itself? I know to shun is wrong, I know that it won't help her. But this far into my life, she no longer is someone that is healthy for me to be in contact with. All of our phone conversations or emails revolve around her, her life, her involvement with the org and what "service" she is doing. She only asks if I am going to the meetings and what am I doing for the org, even when she knows I'm inactive and want nothing to do with it. Not one question about me personally, not how's work, how do you like your new place, no how is your health, what have you been up to etc. Nothing. It's 100% obvious she has cult group think, she displays behaviour that is very disturbing and is an alcoholic, even though she doesn't think she is.

I honestly have no idea what I should do at this point. Up until this case, I was focused, positive thinking, learning about spirituality on a so much higher level. Then this brought all of that to a halt. I can't focus at work, I can't destress at home, it's like I'm back to where I was when I first "left" the org. I have a girlfriend that is feeling the effects of me losing this focus. I've turned cold to her and can't show her the attention she needs. It is driving me crazy I think. I am so angry right now.

I so much want the destruction of the WTBTS to come. I want them to pay for everything I've been through, for everything every child, woman, man that has suffered abuse in their organization. Because of their two witness rule, their call WT Legal before the police and their protecting the predators within the congregations.

All of the other issues, 607 BCE being wrong, 1914 wrong, chosen people today wrong, UN involvement, Mexico/Malawi, blood stance, tax evasion, everything else pales in comparison to what they have done or not done for the victims of abuse. Their silence on the matter is deafening.

I want them to pay. I want them to bleed. I want them to become obsolete. But most of all I want to bury this hate and anger and move on with my life.

Any advice any of you an give me or any words of guidance, no matter how small or seemingly uninspiring it may be to you will be so much appreciated by me. Thank you for listening, thank you for letting me vent, and thanks for being "there" to listen.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

You can try contacting the lawyers for the Conti case (they're on this board too) and see if they want to take your case. The more the merrier ;-)

• watersprout
    watersprout

Sweetheart I know your pain! It festers and boils and it's seems to consume your soul... The only way to help is get back into counselling and not just someone whom you can vent to, you need a NLP (neuro linguistic programming) practitioner. I went to one and I swear they know there stuff and can get you the help you need.

I'm going to send you a pm, so give it five/ten minutes before you check :)

Peace

• Quandry
    Quandry

Do you remember the serenity prayer? It's time to let go of some things if you want to bury the anger and hate and have a better life.

The point is this...every minute that you take out of your life to try to "make them pay" when you can't see any results is just that-time out of your life.

I am sixty. They took over thirty years of my life, and if I "go there" and start thinking about all the time I spent in the borg, I get depressed, angry, and just really sick. I don't want them to take any more of my life, so I do not allow myself to think about them much anymore. It thoughts creep in, I take a deep breath, and conciously go down a different path.

Here is my advice-when mom calls, and starts talking about all her happy service-interrupt-say, "Really?" then tell her your news. If she starts talking about abuse-tell her in no uncertain terms that you are through pursuing it with the elders. Keep repeating this as often as necessary in as few words as possible. Don't go further into the discussion. Don't bother downing the WTS if you know how she'll react-YOU are the one who will have the ill effects of the conversation.

You need peace. Hate can eat you up inside.

I can't say that I have found full peace (will that ever happen for any of us?), so know that I am not "cured" by any means. I was not abused but my child was treated horrifically by elders who then proceeded to treat my husband unbelievably cruel.

I cope by keeping my mind totally occupied. I am almost through getting a college degree while I work full time. It keeps me super busy. On the other hand, I try to get outside and enjoy nature, to destress. Nothing like a vacation to the mountains to uplift.

Take your girlfriend by the hand. Go to a beautiful outdoor place with a picnic lunch, if possible. Take that deep breath. Don't let them take any more of YOUR LIFE. You deserve to live...you deserve to be happy....YOU CAN DO IT!

• watersprout
    watersprout

Sent you a pm :)

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Thank you watersprout for your kind words and encouragement!

Quandry, wow! Those are some powerful words of advice! Thank you!

I have talked to my girlfriend about it and she is very supportive and loving. I just feel bad this is encroaching our relationship. But you are right, hate can eat you up inside and I feel like I have let it get the best of me these last few weeks/month or so. One of the things I really was getting into was serene meditation and it did wonders. I need to focus on that again and let this crap go.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I totally understand how the Conti case has brought back the pain as it did it to me also. I just got so upset, I could not sleep again, all I could think of was the three child molesters in the hall that I was in and how the elders treated them all so kindly and turned to pure hate toward me even though I was an elders wife at the time. Once I knew that these three men were child molesters it was like I was the bad one and I had better not say anything to anyone or I would be DF'ed for causing divisions in the hall.

One elder in his public talk called one of child molesters a gentle giant saying his being sent to prison was a miscarriage of Justice of couse he did not say why he was sent to prison and he alluded the fact that he was in prison for some petty crime in his talk not child rape. They were allowing this child molester to hold sleep overs in his back yard, mentor a young boy in the hall who was nine when it started and to hold and take care of the boy's little sister at the meetings alone, taking the little girl outside and into the backroom alone. I was accused of being dirty minded by one of the elders to think it was wrong after all the pedophile was helping out the mom so she could listen to the meeting uninterrupted. He was justing being kind by taking care of the child. Some of the elders would black slap the child molesters right in front of me in a good old boy style knowing how it upset me and then just smile at me. I was counseled by an elder because I hurt one of the child molesters feelings as I refused to listen to him give a talk. I was told that I needed to more careful in the future not to upset this child molester. I could go on and on.

I was working the beginning of last week and the picture on page 171 of the "Great Teacher" book kept popping into my head. It is the picture of the little girl who is five and is fending off a child molesters who looks to be in his 40's to 50's while she is alone in her bedroom. So anyway I made a post about it. A ton of the members on this board totally agreed with me about it being disgusting but amazing enough there were about five posters who totally defended the article saying I was a "bit dim" and "emotionally unstable/stupid." I was told there was nothing wrong with telling a child who had been raped by a child molester that the 'Devil and his demons, also Satan and his demons are behind it all. That once a child has been molested he may begin to use his/her's sex organs in a wrong way.' ' It is all in the book on pages 170 and 171. The poster JT said it was exactly what her daughters were being taught in school and she thought the way the it was written was cutting edge for the time, so she read it and went over it with her girls over and over. I just find it hard to believe that in school even a privite school or a relgious school they would tell a child that the Devil and his demons or Satan and his demons are behind the abuse of children but this poster insisted that it was true and said I was damaged beyond help really from my abuse.

About five posters or so felt as this one put it so well (the advice was sensible.) That kind of response really makes wonder what this wrold is about how can anyone say that the advice makes sense. It just truly gets me not only upset but down and sad and yes mad. The picture on page 171 shows a five year old child fending off a child molester on her own alone and just because the books says she should say "stop that! I am going to tell on you!", many on this board felt it was very well written.

I agree with Quandry and watersprout you and myself need help in learing to let it go.

I am getting counseling and I think I have a somewhat good handle on the abuse that happened to me, but do you ever truly get over it? I do not know. I mean truly how can anyone defened the infomation given in the Great Teacher book? Yet that is what many did! Really when I hear that I just shake my head.

How can anyone not be upset when they hear about the Conti case and how yet again another child was abused in this religion because of the stupid two witness rule? I think every time I hear of yet another case I will yet again be drawn back into my past, because like you I was treated so horribly by the elders when I was being abused as a kid.

LITS

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Thanks lits, the org is so sickening isn't it?

I have gotten counselling on the abuse side of it, I know that has definitely helped keep me sane and know how to deal with it. I do think counselling more pointed towards releasing the hate and anger is needed now tho. I'll see what I can find in my area.

watersprout, pm'd ya back.

• whathappened
  • Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Soldier says,

I was accused of being dirty minded by one of the elders to think it was wrong after all the pedophile was helping out the mom so she could listen to the meeting uninterrupted. He was justing being kind by taking care of the child. Some of the elders would black slap the child molesters right in front of me in a good old boy style knowing how it upset me and then just smile at me. I was counseled by an elder because I hurt one of the child molesters feelings as I refused to listen to him give a talk. I was told that I needed to more careful in the future not to upset this child molester.

Slowly start to take control of your life once again, though it may have been years that elapsed. All it takes is someone's story to give you the courage to feel like an unabused person again. Don't end your life in fear and anger over these morons.

I used to have a discussion board posting section on Freeminds.org with many stories. It is now at:

http://www.dannyhaszard.com/sexabuse/index.htm

but is closed.

Maybe it's time to start a new forum again on this. The new Freeminds 4.0 will have forums for:

Writers

Vloggers

Bible Discussion (maybe we can get Channel C over here, they inquired once before).

LGBT forum (gay , Lesbian, etc) tanked before

I guess we might need to add a fifth (it's all in Wordpress so easy to post and read) . Kudos to Juan Villejo (John) as we are working together on a megasite with 7 of my domains all in one place, except for AJWRB. (public relations issues)

about 7 gigs of files and video.

Check out the one on Danny's site for what to expect, only much more raucous!

Randy

PS Info on two major contacts (attorneys) are on the front page of freeminds.org right now.

ANGRY DOGS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit