A little update on my family

by sooner7nc 47 Replies latest jw friends

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

A few of you may remember that my wife had a kidney transplant early last year. Since then the kidney has been incredible, giving her a new lease on life. It's really been good to see the light in her eyes that I had missed for quite a long time.

The counterpoint to this good news is the problems we have had with our son Coltin. Coltin was born with a small birth defect called a tethered spinal cord. Basically this means that his spinal cord and the surrounding connective tissue inside the vertebrae didn't grow at the same rate causing the nerves at the base of his lumbar spine to have pressure put on them. The pressure manifests itself in 3 different ways; urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, and phantom leg pain. He at times had the latter two and had the former for several years. Unfortunately, one affect of the urinary incontinence is that it causes the bladder to distend and back up urine into the kidneys eventually damaging and shutting them down. This is called hydronephrosis and it's about as bad as it sounds.

On Monday at Cook Childrens Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas Coltin had a catheter for peritoneal dialysis put in. He'll start dialysing in about two weeks after the wound heals up and will be on it until he receives a transplant.

We could sure use any prayers or good vibes that any of you may have.

Mike

• Quendi
    Quendi

Wishing you and your family the very best, Mike. You'll be in both my thoughts and prayers.

Quendi

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Thank You Quendi

• Quentin
    Quentin

You got my VERY best wishes for complete recovery. I feel all will go well Cooks is one of the best of the best.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Thanks Quentin. I need to get off my lazy ass and come see you. I keep meaning to but never do.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

So glad there is treatment out there for Coltin and you are able to take advantage of it. We're so lucky to be living in a time when such things are available.

All the best to you and your family.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Someone asked me about Cooks the other day. I described them as the "Goddamned Delta Force of children's hospitals" so I guess we like them pretty good

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Thanks exwhyzee. I love that handle!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Sending the best vibes possible to your little guy. Coltin

om

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Good vibes coming your way.

Just to warn you, the 'good vibes' might feel like heat and humidity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit