Does the Watchtower School of Gilead still send out missionaries to foreign fields and if not how come..

by solomon 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• solomon
    solomon

The new brochure "Who are doing Jehovahs will today?" says on page 14 that the Bible School of Gilead sends out missionaries to foreign countries.

I thought this program was discontinued

• Broken Promises
  • Cacky
    Cacky

I thought so, too, and wondered when I read that before. Maybe it Will be discontinued but hasn't yet. Anyody know?

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

If I remember correctly, it was not discontinued, only changed to a invitation only course. You don't apply, you are called. And I think its only for those already in special full time service, such as CO's, DO's bethelites and special pioneers.

Changed because too many missionaries got to their assignment and it wasnt the spiritual paradise they imagined.

• yknot
    yknot

No....it would be uber stupid to ever discontinue Gilead as it is a recognized as an international school (read-Mormon BYU potential)

The Governing Body has outlined adjustments to the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead. Starting with the 132nd class, which began on October 24, 2011, training will be given only to couples who are already in special full-time service, such as field missionaries who have not yet attended Gilead, special pioneers, traveling overseers, and Bethelites. If a couple speak and write English fluently, their Branch Committee may recommend that they attend.

Gilead graduates will be given assignments that will strengthen and stabilize the field and branch organization, whether as field missionaries, traveling overseers, or Bethelites. Those assigned to serve in the field will be used in densely populated areas where they can have the most profound effect on the preaching activity and on congregation activities. Branch Committees may continue requesting Gilead graduates if there is a particular need in their territory. They may also recommend well-qualified special full-time servants from their own branch territory to attend Gilead School. In some cases, Branch Committees may request that the graduates return to that country after they graduate

• Cacky
    Cacky

Thanks.

• Gayle
    Gayle

given assignments that will strengthen and stabilize the field and branch organization

the word "stabilize the" ... "branch organization" Sounds like they will be where JWs are already established versus 'new' areas as usually thought of as "missionaries." Sounds like going where congregations are having problems and need a type of step-up "trouble-shooter" type of Overseer. I suspect the organization is anticipating trouble.

• yknot
    yknot

Bible School for Christian Couples

The new two-month Bible School for Christian Couples began in July 2011 and is initially being held at Patterson, New York. English-speaking couples are eligible to enroll if they are between the ages of 25 and 50, in good health, married for at least two years, and in full-time service for at least the last two consecutive years and if the husband is serving as either an elder or a ministerial servant for two consecutive years. Starting in 2012, classes of the Bible School for Christian Couples will be conducted at locations currently used for the Bible School for Single Brothers.

The Bible School for Christian Couples is designed to give specialized training to married couples so that they may be used more fully by Jehovah and his organization. Most graduates will serve as regular pioneers where the need is greater in their home country. However, a number will be assigned as temporary special pioneers and some will even be trained for the circuit work. A few may receive an assignment in another country if they are qualified and available.

Those who apply for this school should be spiritually mature individuals who have a self-sacrificing spirit. The same instructors who teach the Bible School for Single Brothers will teach this new school, basically following the same curriculum. A few units will be conducted with the brothers only while their wives go in field service. Further details and requirements for those interested in applying will be provided at meetings to be held at district conventions.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I doubt they are going to totally discontinue Gilead, but I am sure they have plenty of arrangements for single "brothers(??)" to do stupid missions (such as long-term missions in Nigeria). At their own expense, of course.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

so is it only Americans that can apply?

I mean, if a south african couple wanted to apply, who would pay for their airfare to the states? and why only in english, surely it should be as many language as posible. Seems discriminatory to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit