Can Atheists Be "Religious"?

by AGuest 45 Replies latest jw friends

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Very simply, atheisim is an absence of belief.

Unless you put an "in a divine power" at the end of the sentence, Atheism is anything but. The beliefs held by atheists may not be unified, but they are still there. In fact, I am 99.99% sure that you can find something you believe in.

The real question here *as far as I can see* is worship and ritual, which are largely missing the lives of atheists (not that we actually miss them), but even then there are always exceptions.

EDIT: I should mention that I divide religion into religion and spirituality, where spirituality deals with emotions similar to the emotions brought on by religion, namely awe and reverence. I think that a lot of atheists (based on my experience and reading) are spiritual with regard to their conception of the universe and nature.

• AGuest
    AGuest

From the first link:

What we believe.

• The First Church of Atheism is formed around the belief that the mysteries of life can be explained through science and reason. We aim to provide a place for atheists to become ordained, for free, as well as a hub for atheists to find ministers to perform their ceremonies. This is our doctrine

Is this really free?

Yes, becoming ordained with the First Church of Atheism is entirely free of charge.

Why is this free?

We believe that everyone should have the right to preach what they believe, to start a congregation, and to perform ceremonies. This is usually reserved for members of traditional religious sects. We have started a church of our own, based on our beliefs, and will provide our service of ordainment free to anyone who shares our beliefs.

Will I be a minister in the eyes of the law?

Yes, you will be a legally ordained minister. You will be able to perform every task that a clergy member can perform.

How do I prove I am an ordained minister?

Visit the store to purchase an Ordainment Certificate, which comes with a free identification card.

What type of services can I perform as a minister?

You will be able to perform the following services:
    -Weddings
    -Funerals
    -Commitment ceremonies
    -Many others

Are there any privileges of being a minister?

Ministers command a level of respect from the general public. Some parking lots have reserved parking for clergy. You will have clergy level access to prisons and hospitals.

How long does my ordainment last?

Your ordainment with the First Church of Atheism lasts for your lifetime. Once you are ordained, you never have to do anything again. You will be a minister for life.

Can I revoke my ordainment?

Yes, simply contact us and we will remove your ordainment, free of charge.

Can atheism really have a church?

A church is defined as an association of people who share a particular belief system. So yes, a church of atheism can really exist.

Where is the First Church of Atheism located?

The FCA is located atop the lush rolling hills of Langhorne, Pennsylvania.

What do I have to do to start my own congregation?

Once you become an ordained minister, you can begin preaching to a congregation immediately.

Again, I didn't make this up. It's on the website. Let's see what the others links say...

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• cofty
    cofty

Nobody cares about the 1st church of atheism. Somebody already explained to you its about getting around the law for the purpose of officiating at weddings etc.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

I still don't think they're the best example and that calling that particular group a religion isn't quite accurate.

Taken from the same FAQs:

How we got started.

• The First Church of Atheism was born out of necessity. Created by Paul and Jacki McMaster, the FCA is the first society of its kind. Dedicated solely to ordainingatheists so that they too may perform ceremonies previously performed by religious men. When Paul and Jacki were wed, they hired a non-denominational minister to perform the ceremony. They requested that the ceremony be entirely faith neutral, as they were both devout atheists. To their dismay, the ceremony that the minister submitted for their approval was littered with references to, and direct statements about, god. They pulled out a red pen and started editing, paring down the ceremony into a 2 minute long affair.

For the next year, they would laugh about that story, telling their friends about the “non-denominational” minister who read them their vows in a Friar Tuck shirt, complete with collar. While funny, this also says something tragic about the state of our society when it comes to atheists. Non-denominational means generally Christian. For atheists, this is impossible to accept.

• eva luna
    eva luna

You are right TheClarenetist.

My sentence should have read ... an absence of belief in a 'Divine Power".

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

AGuest - can you just get to your point. This looks like someone taking the michael a little, although a previous poster suggests it is so people can get married who do not believe in god by someone other than a judge.

But let us assume it is true. Nowhere does this say they are religious so you are using the things they describe as meeting your definition of religious, be that from a dictionary or elsewhere. So I could argue well, that does not meet my definition of religious because nowhere does it mention belief in a supernatural god.

As it is, this all seems so utterly pointless. Even if this behaviour could be described as religious and you know, I think it probably could be although maybe for specific legal reasons, then so what? From your previous posts I can only see possibly three points you are trying to make specifically regarding atheists engaging in religious type behaviours:

• The apparent human need for ritual to help explain our existence. But this makes no sense given your own disbelief in this.
    • That the need for religous ritual is no way connected to true worship as you yourself (I think) believe. As an example this may work, granted. It does not prove what you believe is right but I would agree that the fact that both believers and non-believers seem to like a bit of ritual in their lives suggests that this is unconnected to belief itself.
    • That because some people without a belief can be described as religious it follows that some people who have belief in the supernatural can be described as non-religious. I am afraid your logic is flawed here as the statement is not transitive. It is like saying 'someone who was not born in Britain can be British. Therefore someone who is born in Britain can be non-British.' Both statements might be true but you cannot prove one of the statements by reference to the other. So you might be right and believers may be able to be classed as non-religious. Unfortunately the evidence you present cannot support this.
  • AGuest
    AGuest

From the second link:

The First Atheist Church of True Science

A key religious ritual at FACTS is taking a pause at each new moon. During that interval, we reflect on both the majesty of the universe, and the direction of our lives.

The moon has been chosen to remind us of how similar is every human ... each person seeing the same lunar phase no matter where on Earth ree is situated. The "new moon" has been chosen because of its symbolic nature: reminding us that new experiences always arise as old ones conclude. And the night sky has been chosen because of the perspective it provides, reminding us of our place within the incredible expanse of both distance and time.

[Sorry - I didn't mean to post all of those videos!!]

Again, I didn't make this up... and I'm not trying to take issue with atheism. That was not the point, at all. Here's something from the last link:

Again, I don't have a problem with atheists. I think I might be developing a bit of a problem, though, with atheists who want the freedom to believe... or not believe... whatever they will... but have a problem with certain believers (and whatever such believe/don't believe). I can't see how these who do/think like this are any different from your sundry overzealous JW (i.e., particularly those who run around saying the the WTBTS is not a 'religion' - well, okay, it's actually a publishing company that uses religion, but either way...).

Again, peace to you all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

"Michael Arthur Newdow (born June 24, 1953) is an American attorney and emergency medicinephysician. He is best known for his efforts to have recitations of the current version of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools in the United States declared unconstitutional because of its inclusion of the phrase "under God". He also filed and lost a lawsuit to stop the invocation prayer at President Bush's second inauguration [1] [2] [3] and, most recently, he filed a lawsuit to prevent references to God and religion from being part of President Obama's inauguration.

Newdow is an atheist and an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church (http://www.ulc.net/index.php?page=prayer). In 1997, he started an organization called FACTS (First Atheist Church of True Science), which advocates strong separation of church and state in public institutions. He also serves on the Advisory Board of Secular Coalition for America"

• cofty
    cofty

This is a contender for the most pointless thread award.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Nobody cares about the 1st church of atheism.

I agree. I certainly don't, dear C (peace to you!). But that wasn't the point.

Somebody already explained to you its about getting around the law for the purpose of officiating at weddings etc.

Yes, like the WTBTS is about a corporation selling magazines under the guise of being a religion so that it can "legally" circumvent tax, labor, and other laws. Even still, that wasn't the point, either...

My sentence should have read ... an absence of belief in a 'Divine Power".

Ah, nope, too late, dear Eva (peace to you, as well!). J/K - LOLOL!

AGuest - can you just get to your point.

I did, dear JM (again, peace to you. A couple/few times, actually: that just like there are [some] atheists are religious and/or who've made their "belief" into a religion... there are [some] believers who are NOT religious. At all.

This looks like someone taking the michael a little, although a previous poster suggests it is so people can get married who do not believe in god by someone other than a judge.

Ah, yes, so the reason negates the action. Yes, I can see that, sure I can.

But let us assume it is true. Nowhere does this say they are religious so you are using the things they describe as meeting your definition of religious, be that from a dictionary or elsewhere. So I could argue well, that does not meet my definition of religious because nowhere does it mention belief in a supernatural god.

But religious isn't limited to belief in a supernatural god, dear JM. It isn't limited to a belief in a god at all. Let's say this... ummmmm... "church" took off. Grew. Gained more and more members. Then had some rules. Then some stated beliefs (or disbeliefs, whatever). THEN would it be a religion? Or is it NOT a religion because [some of] you can't handle the possibility that it might be? Because they don't want to identify with what religion and the religious have done around the world (like JWs used not be able to handle that, either, because they didn't want to be so identified, either)? I certainly don't was to be so identified. So why must I be called "religious"?

As it is, this all seems so utterly pointless.

Then why are you commenting? Why are you even reading the posts?

Even if this behaviour could be described as religious and you know, I think it probably could be although maybe for specific legal reasons, then so what?

So, nothing... except my previous offering of logic: if some atheists ARE religious, then it's logically possible that some believers are NOT.

From your previous posts I can only see possibly three points you are trying to make specifically regarding atheists engaging in religious type behaviours:

Okay, let's see what you got.

The apparent human need for ritual to help explain our existence. But this makes no sense given your own disbelief in this.

Yep, no, not saying that.

That the need for religous ritual is no way connected to true worship as you yourself (I think) believe. As an example this may work, granted. It does not prove what you believe is right but I would agree that the fact that both believers and non-believers seem to like a bit of ritual in their lives suggests that this is unconnected to belief itself.

That's actually pretty close, yes.

That because some people without a belief can be described as religious it follows that some people who have belief in the supernatural can be described as non-religious. I am afraid your logic is flawed here as the statement is not transitive. It is like saying 'someone who was not born in Britain can be British. Therefore someone who is born in Britain can be non-British.' Both statements might be true but you cannot prove one of the statements by reference to the other. So you might be right and believers may be able to be classed as non-religious. Unfortunately the evidence you present cannot support this.

I understand. I only presented evidence, however, to refute others' contentions that atheists are not religious. Apparently, some are. Since they are wrong about that, it stands to reason that they COULD be wrong about the other (that believers are necessarily religious). I simply started with that. I cannot prove to you that some believers are non-religious... because of your "definition" of religious.

This thread was to help some who may not get it that "religious" is not necessarily what they believe it to be: belief in a god/divine being, etc. It really is more about the behavior of someone in connection with their beliefs/disbeliefs.

What was interesting to me, though, was that rather than consider FULLY what my point(s) were, some (including perhaps you) immediately went on the defense. Why? Because of their definition of "religious" - that it MUST be connected to a belief in God (which these links show is not the case); that it CANNOT be associated with a "church/congregation" (which these links show is not the case); that it does NOT engage in things like ministries, sermons, prayer (which these links show is not the case), etc.

If I were to say to some here... and I think I've proven that... that some atheists are "religious"... they would take hard issue with that. What I find fascinating is that, although atheists profess to believe in the right of others to believe what they will... some don't actually live that creed, apparently.

And it is things like that which make ME "blind" to the differences between some atheists here (some, not all, not by a stretch)... and, say, some JWs/believers.

Just working my thoughts on the matter out... out loud... here on the Board. As I stated, I saw a sign... which prompted me to go "Hmmmmmm..."

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• FlyingHighNow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit