Why do they call themselves Christians?

by KistByQpid 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

HI KistByQpid

I do not think JW describe themselves as christians as much as other churches do. They like to emphasis that they are a 'Jehovah's Witness' rather then a christian...mainly because the name Jehovah identifies them as different to other 'christians'.

I rarely came across a witness who referred to themselves as christians...rather they were witnesses...to be a christian you could be anything...and they do not want to be referred to as another nutto in christendom...lol.

In saying this however...I have no WT reference to suggest that they were discouraged from using the term 'christian' when referring to themselves...it was just an observation I made.

Beck

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

Beck,

Yeah, it's a weird deal. I know my mom gets in a snit if the JW's are referred to as non-Christian yet at the same time wants to be totally distinguished from "Christiandom" or as she so delicately puts it "so-called Christians" LOL. I know they don't want that association! I've heard people from all denominations refer to each other as "brothers/sisters in Christ" and asked why they don't...I was told that "brother/sister" ONLY applies to fellow baptized JW's. Oh, well...membership has it's priviledges! I think it's all about whose at the of some percieved heirarchy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit