Who get baptized in holy spirit, and when?

by The Searcher 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Listener
    Listener

Thanks Bobcat for your reasoning. When I read it something seemed to dawn on me and I wonder if it may be a reasonable thought (and I apologize as I find it difficult to express my thoughts but here goes -

To be baptized with the Holy Spirit is a realization that we have made ourselves acceptable/approved for the giving of the gift from God, which is the prospect and the possiblity of everlasting life which was made possible through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. By realization I don't mean that we personally are aware that we have suddenly been given this gift but by our belief we have made ourselves available for this gift. It's like a missing link in that God required mankind to be redeemed, Jesus offered this redemption and all that is now required is for there to be faithful followers to whom the benefit of this gift can now be given. So the prospect of everlasting life (and the restoration of perfectness) for individuals is not possible unless God's holy spirit can be bestowed on them.

Being anointed by Holy Spirit was not possible before Jesus came to sacrifice his life as there was no permanent redemption of sin up until this time.

The problem with this thought, though, is that people were being anointed with the Holy Spirit before the actual sacrifice was made by Jesus.

I may be way off track so I would appreciate your opinions.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ Listener

Lovely & reasonable comment.

The sad thing is, that some maintain that when it comes to Jehovah's holy spirit, there are 2 classes of recipients; those who are baptized in it and go to heaven, and those who are only given it, and stay on the earth.

The God that I know and serve, does not discriminate who gets His holy spirit - as long as they are serving Him.

He never indicated in His Word that only the heavenly-hopers would be baptized in His spirit - it applied to everyone exercising faith in the ransom.

Paul stated that there is only one baptism - the same one for everyone!!!!

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Searcher, the account of the conversion of Cornelius actually indicates that they received the Holy Spirit, therefore, were "baptized" (immersed) into the Holy Spirit even before they were baptized in water. Something to think about.

Eden

• *lost*
    *lost*

My little brain is bursting at the seams and struggling to keep up, lol.

I read an interesting bit yesterday when researching.

Fire, has huge symbolism to it, which is why flames were used to show their anointing.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

At an anointing the heart is baptised in Holy Spirit. It's open to everyone not just the JWs 144,000. If you've received it you're not in any doubt. Unmissable, undeniable, and unforgettable.

Loz x

• Fernando
    Fernando

Paul also said that there is only "one hope" (Eph 4:4).

We are also told we will become like Jesus - with access to both dimensions - heaven and earth (1 John 3:2).

(Why does the "true religion" secretly blind its followers to the "Good News" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?)

• Watkins
    Watkins

When and to whom God's spirit goes is a problem the wt created. There is no such division in the Bible - only believers and unbelievers. Most Christians don't worry so much about other Christian's spirituality - it's a given that it's between them and God alone. We prove to God what we are - we don't have to prove it to anyone else because our actions speak volumes.

The 'heavenly call' is FROM heaven - not a call TO heaven. There are not separate 'callings', only one hope - the hope of everlasting life in the kingdom. The wt takes out of context scriptures and conjures up a divided kingdom of 'classes'. Imho, it is NOT going to be like that. In any case - the hope of life is only rewarded to those who've completed their life course, faithful unto death - it's not for here and now in this life - it's what we WILL be, not what we are now.

So the wt is definitely 'running ahead of Jehovah', and they are definitely 'ruling as kings' in their own little kingdom right now. They may have had their reward in full already.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit