Hassan's Books - Question

by LV101 12 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

I know you've answered this question before but which book do you recommend be read first --- Combatting Cult Mind Control (CCMC) or Releasing the Bonds (RTB)?

Thanks. I have both of them.

LV101

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

True story from yours truly,

I know Steven Hassan and have for over 15 years. We lived in the same neighborhood in greater boston and met during a beer and bbq that residents were having in the parking lot that we shared.

He told me his story over beer and grilled tuna and I thought to myself 'jeesh, this guy's too much', from being brought up Jewish and then converted to the moonies and then being rescued and then had to be deprogrammed and etc, etc..

The next few months after meeting him I'd see him in the parking lot and exchange pleasantries.

Maybe it was a few months later that some nitwit in california had his small cult group kill themselves to catch the passing spacecraft taking them all to utopia. These poor people all wore nike sneakers for the trip. Later that night, who's on nightline, but Steve Hassan. As I was swilling a beer that streamed out of my nostrils "that's my neighbor Steve!" I shouted to my friends [had a bachelor pad at the time].

I saw him again several months later with a newfound respect for his accomplishments and we spoke often. I asked about my brother and the JWs. He told me that it was a cult. I said that my brother was happy and that's what mattered. He simply refered me to his book [combating cult]. I asked how he knew and he rattled off several control techniques that high control groups use. Foolishly, I didn't read the book.

Any way, it took years for me to realize how correct he was way back then. He gets alot of print here I see.

Stevie! if you're out there, I hope you're well!

Too bad about Brad D. Remember seeing Beatlejuice at JohnyDs?

dc

• chichimama_2
    chichimama_2

I would say read Combating Cult Mind Control first.

It identifies what a cult is and is very helpful to the person reading it.

The second one Releasing the Bonds i really good too but it's geared more towards helping a friend or loved one to get their minds free of a cult.

Others here may have different opinions.

Ranchette/Sheila

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I found Combatting Cult Mind Control helpful for me. I found Releaseing the bonds, helpful in how someone can help others.

blond-momen aka Danmera

[ jw.org ]

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

CCMC

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I prefer Releasing the Bonds. It was written when Hassan was older, more mature and more experienced. Also it explicitly deals with JWs (as well as many other cults.)

Both will be helpful to you.

00DAD

• cult classic
    cult classic

Combatting Cult Mind Control

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Check out www.freedomofmind.com

Combatting Cult Mind Control is designed to teach what exit-counseling is all about, and is intended for those who want to know what NOT to do to mess things up, and what TO DO positively to get someone out of a cult. I prefer it... but Reasoning introduces a more advanced view of understanding how to get healed... thus is more for the newly-out or almost out cultist. You would not normally give Combatting to an active cult member, as the groups leaders study it and warn their members.

Reasoning is a much lareger book and helpful to say, members of this board. Each has it's own merits.

Now he has a third book!

Steve's New Book

In the post 911 world, people are more susceptible than ever to charismatic figures who offer simple, black v. white, us v. them, good v. evil, formulaic solutions. The rise of the Internet; increasingly sophisticated knowledge about how to influence and manipulate others; and the growing vulnerabilities of people across the planet—make for a dangerous, potentially devastating combination. Steven Hassan’s new book Freedom of Mind provides the knowledge and awareness needed to help yourself and loved ones avoid or escape from such dangerous people and situations. Coming in June. Buy @ Amazon.Com

Actually it is already out:

Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults, and Beliefs [Paperback]

Steven Hassan (Author) Be the first to review this item | Like ( 0 )

Price:$16.95 Eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime.
    In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
    Want it delivered Tuesday, July 3? Order it in the next 33 hours and 26 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
    5 new from $16.94 1 used from $65.85
  • LV101
    LV101

Thank you all for your help/imput. I so appreciate and was unable to thank you yesterday/earlier due to internet problems. Now I will go through and really read your info.

Good --- looks like I'm reading the paperback, skinnier one (CCMC) first -- YEAH!

LV101

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

iT'S A GOOD ONE!

Also at the time he wrote it he din't know enough about the JWs to realize they were a cult. I spent a couple of days with bhim then at a cult conference in Berkeley in the mid 80s and filled him in on them. That's why he doesn't mention JWs as a cult (In Releasing he does). That was ther beginning of our frienship and him teaching me about exit-counseling and doing cases with him.

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit