Is the 10 Hour Per Month Requirement Still In Force?

by Conan The Barbarian 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• traveb
    traveb

I can definitely attest to the fact that the 10 hour rule is still in effect. I know, because I recently lost the "privilege" of reading the WT on Sundays and carrying mics around (I'm not a MS or elder). When I was informed of this the elder told me it was because I wasn't meeting the congregational hour average. I asked him what the quota was and without blinking he said 10.

For a while I was thinking of putting some fake time in to bump up my hours. I actually didn't mind being a mic runner because it was a distraction from the boring meetings parts. I couldn't bring myself to do that though, just felt wrong.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the goal of taking away my "privileges" was. Is it supposed to motivate me to increase my hours? It's actually had the opposite effect, because now it makes it easier to miss meetings knowing that I have no responsiblities to care for.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

It's to shame you, Traveb.

But, don't worry. You are worthy to clean the washrooms...what a privillege, eh?

• blondie
    blondie

I agree that there is an unwritten rule regarding the "national average" or "congregation average" re hours to qualify as an MS or an elder, and to remain there. But it was a goal for all jws years back, the monthly quota for all publishers. About the mid-70's the WTS did away with the large charts in front of the KH recording the congregation and individual hours, magazines, rvs, and bible studies. Many congregations compared themselves measuring each one's spirituality. Remember though that the WTS always speaks out of both sides of their mouth.

*** w75 5/15 p. 312 A People Zealous for Fine Works ***ZEAL NOT MEASURED BY QUOTAS

7 Attempts have sometimes been made (by the WTS) to standardize the efforts of everyone with certain quotas established as common goals for all. Zeal in many cases would then be measured (by the WTS and still does) by success in meeting such goals. Invariably this has resulted in a tendency to compare ourselves with one another, which has never proved to be an accurate or approved measurement of love or zeal. (2 Cor. 10:12) Search as we may, we can find no quotas set forth in God’s Word as a minimum preaching requirement. The amount of work we do has little to do with Jehovah’s estimation of our zeal. He is far more concerned with our motives, the desires within our heart. The only uniform requirement for all is simply that we “work at it whole-souled.” (Col. 3:23)

*** w61 6/1 p. 328 Your Time or Your Money? ***Each congregation has its hour quota and each Witness strives to meet or exceed it. The average minister in a congregation spends some ten hours monthly in such evangelizing. They believe in “buying out the opportune time” for themselves.—Eph. 5:16.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Not in print anywhere but the CO still compares the congregation average when he comes to:

1. The circuit average

2. The National Average

In our cong. meeting attandance is well below 100% and he keeps asking us why...lol because people are sick of meetings. SICK of them, but nobody will every reveal that to the average person in the hall. To close, close friends or relatives maybe.

If you are already appointed an MS or elder and your f/s hrs are between 7-10 nobody will care. If its consistently below 7 or so the rest of elders will discuss it via email/side disucssions, and 2 elders will be sent to speak to you about it.

To be appointed you have to be in the 9-12 range 1-2 mos prior aux pioneer service helps out.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Well if now takes merely 10 hours to be considered a pioneer, then I suppose that monthly averages have plummeted in recent years...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit