The Jehovah's Witness Definition of the Word "Soon"

by God_Delusion 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Thats funny, I used to joke with my GF about how when I said i'd do something soon I meant not for a long time and if I said very soon that meant never.

Now I know where I got it.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Actually, Jesus spanned a space of centuries of time by the expression “immediately after,” for the things he thereafter described were not seen in the first century.

I was just thinking that "immediately after" would have to be sooner than "soon", so if "immediately after" can mean a couple of thousand years, then "soon" could be a lot longer.

• blondie
    blondie

SOON

*** w11 9/15 p. 27 par. 10 Are You Known by Jehovah? ***

As was true with Abraham, the fulfillment of some divine promises may not come as soon as we would like.

VERY SOON

VERY SOON NOW

*** w11 7/1 pp. 5-6 Why Does Life Seem Meaningless? ***Very soon now, he will begin bringing the earth back to the perfect state he originally purposed. With the rightness of his way of ruling absolutely established, he will be justified in using his irresistible power to enforce his will and utterly destroy all evil.

*** w08 5/15 p. 15 par. 16 Deliverance by God’s Kingdom Is at Hand! ***

Very soon now, what Jesus called the “great tribulation” will occur.

RAPIDLY APPROACHNG

*** w11 3/15 p. 16 par. 20 Trust in Jehovah as the End Draws Near ***

During the rapidly approaching “day of Jehovah’s fury,” everything in which Satan’s world puts its trust will come crashing down.

STANDING ON THE THRESHOLD

*** w04 12/1 p. 8 par. 3 Highlights From the Book of Joshua ***As we stand at the threshold of the promised new world, our position is comparable to that of the sons of Israel who were poised to take possession of the Promised Land.

*** w01 9/15 p. 10 par. 3 Will Jehovah’s Blessing Overtake You? ***Today, we stand on the threshold of a vastly superior Promised Land—a paradise earth in which blessings far richer than those of Joshua’s day await all who have God’s approval.

BUT NOT "PARADISE SOON"

*** w99 7/15 p. 18 par. 9 Anchored by Hope, Impelled by Love ***

A few dedicated Christians in some parts of the world appear to have reefed the sails of their ship of faith. The ship is still afloat, but instead of forging ahead in full faith, they have adopted a cruising speed. Drawn by the hope of “Paradise soon,” some were prepared to spare no efforts to attain it—zealous in the preaching work and regular in attendance at all meetings, assemblies, and conventions. Now thinking that the realization of their hopes is farther off than they anticipated, they have lowered the price they are willing to pay. This is evident in reduced preaching activity, irregularity at meetings, and willingness to miss parts of assembly or convention programs. Others are devoting more time to recreation and to obtaining material comforts. These facts lead us to consider what should be the driving force in our lives in line with our dedication to Jehovah. Should our zeal in his service be dependent on the hope of “Paradise soon”?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS. has been proclaiming this now for decades, all through the early 1900's ..... right through the mid 1900's ..... right up to present day in 2012.

Its kind of marketing strategy to invoke people to press on with distributing the WTS's own published literature.

As well its heightens attention to the unknowing public that god is going to destroy this world soon.

We are living in the last days and if one is to save themselves from destruction one should quickly join the Watchtower Corporation and

become a publishing distributer of the WTS. publications. ( Sales Representative )

The WTS. is really a publishing house and acts appropriately in the commercialization and proliferation of its published works.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Evidently the wt$ uses words very differently.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I was waitin' on Blondie's contribution to this pot luck dinner

I brought along this " Scripture " cake from the WTS

" Some who saw the events of 1914 will also see the complete destruction of the present wicked world"____Reasoning from the Scriptures book page 200

" ( The "generation " that was alive at the beginning of fulfillment of the sign in 1914 is now well along in years. The time remaining must be very short."________Reasoning from the Scriptures books page 239

SOMEBODY RUN AN' GIT SOME ICE !!!!!!!! Finklestien, help draw these two tables together so I can spead this cloth

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It seems whenever the WTS's own publications no longer hold any validity, they get taken out of print and a new piece of literature

gets published with supposedly New and better light. And as always if anyone poses any direct contravening questions about any

article or doctrine they immediately get demonised for doing so, kicked out of the organization.

There is a constant evolution of creating bullshit, finding people who are in acceptance and who are in total subservient agreement to their bullshit

and dissipating people who are objectionable to their bullshit.

To people who've never done any research on this religious organization, they might very well think this is all new information

by the WTS. never before released. One hundred years from now, one could expect the WTS. will still be saying the End is Near on the front covers

of their magazines and literature.

Its apart of the marketing strategy for the WTS. since its inception as a religious publishing house.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

So what was the first recorded us of the word "SOON" in WT publications in the context of predicting the End of this System of Things (aka Armageddon)?

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I'll get back with you soon with my thoughts

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello 00DAD,

Forget " SOON " I found " This is it !!!!!! "

Chapter six in the proclaimers book " A TIME OF TESTING " quotes Russell as sayin' :

" The gentile times have ended; their kings have had their day " ! So exclaimed brother Russell as he entered the dining room at the Brooklyn head quarters of the Watch Tower society the morning of friday, October 2, 1914. Most of those present had for years been lookin' forward to 1914. But what would the end of the gentile times bring? "_________ Proclaimers book page 61

" October 1914 passed, and C.T. Russell and his associates were still on earth. Then October 1915 passed." _____Proclaimers book page 62

A.H Macmillam went 'roun speadin' rumors too

" A.H. Macmillan, who had been baptized 14 years earlier, gave a discourse on wednesday, September 30. In it he stated :

This is probably the last public address I shall deliver because we shall be going home [ to heaven ]soon." However, two days later ( on Friday, October 2 ), Macmillan came in for some good natured teasing back in Brooklyn, where the conventioners were to reconvene. From his seat at the head of the table, C.T. Russell announced: " We are goin to make some changes in the program for Sunday [ October 4 ]. At 10:30 Sunday morning Brother Macmillan will give us an address "

The response? Macmillan later wrote : " Everybody laughed heartily, recalling what I said on Wednesday at saratoga springs,_____ " my last public address" !!!!! "_____________ Grey box on page 62 Kingdom proclaimers book

Heartily my foot, they laughed his ass under the table, did you Notice how C.T. Russell threw Macmillan under the bus, by makin' him explain this mess to the crowd ???

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit