Anyone been sent a virus by EMail recently?

by Abaddon 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I got one last week, called Stealth_C, but not sure it came in an email. It has wrecked havoc on the computer, and we bought a new one today. Now I get to copy all my data. Fun, fun. I have a laptop too, so am doing internet with that one. The main computer is working all right, as long as I don't try to go online, in which cases it just freezes up. I can't do anything. The virus was removed, but it did some damage. Grrrrr.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• mommy
    mommy

Abbadon,
    My sister was sent that one as well, it was running rampant in the JW community. She is on the "good" list and it seems they all have it now. Perhaps someone decided to share the wealth?

As far as viruses I had 2 in the last few months, but nothing awful happened that I am aware of. Smoldering Wick, and Mulanwow! that is awful, I know Vennie had a real problem last year as well. As Nelly said go to the site she listed, it helped me to find mine, do a full scan though it takes longer but that is where mine were hidden. Good luck

I also recieved an email the other day that was 40k but when I opened it there was nothing inside, so I am sure that I have another, just waiting on the updates to pick it up. <sigh>
    wendy

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I got a virus 2 weeks ago and what ever it was I lost everything and had to start a recovery total. I love to know who sent it to me. and it does'nt help because i am so new to the world of computers. Stinks i say!!

• Simon
    Simon

I've been sent virus emails in the past but to be honest, no more than I have with other non-JW accounts ... I haven't had any recently though.

I would recommend that anyone on the internet use a personal firewall / virus package such as Norton Internet Security as it does help to protect your PC.

One of the features of the new forum is that it *can* help to reduce the exposure that your email address (if public) gets to spiders etc... which could help.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

OK I'm freaking out now. I don't know if I picked up a virous or not I just opened my e-mail though now I want to close it again. When I get e-mails with attachments it always worries me but HOW do you check them first before you open them??

I try to keep my computer cleaned out and check it weekly for virous.
    plmkrzy

• ring
    ring

plm,
    If your worried about scaning emails with attachments,
    get a yahoo web address for your incomming mail from this
    site, you can easily scan before you open them.
    wick, dont stone the messenger try downloading something
    that will check for the sircam virus. When I suggested you
    had badtrans32, I thought you said it was spamming your email,
    not invading your computer and stealing information.
    (i'm guessing its sircam, its just a guess) I ran the program
    nelly suggested, and I came up clean

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Thank You ring.
    plm

• Valentine
    Valentine

Wow!
    Thanks all.I'll be watching for those.hugs,Tina

Todays Affirmation:
    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.

• ladonna
    ladonna

Thanks to all for the warnings, and sorry to those of you that have been infected.

Norton 2002, as has been suggested by Simon and Dakota (Dakota said Norton 2001) is great! It scans outgoing and incoming emails, plus works in the background as you surf around.

It's a bit pricey, but well worth it!

Ana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit