My secret rebellion...

by Max Divergent 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I had a little secret rebelion I kept up all the way through my JW time! I refused to learn the books of the bible or to remember scriptures!!! Even when I was a genuine, super-zelous MS!!

For example, I might know a verse word for word, and I might know the referece, but there's only about 5 that I can connect - just enough not to get caught out too often!!!!

I could recite the books from Genesis to Song of Solomon and from Matthew to 2 Corinthians (and knew anything else Greek sounding was right at the back), but that was about it. (I got that far with extensive compulsary one-on-one coaching from an elderly sister when I was 10).

I used to have a whole lot of work-arounds and tricks for getting through and I seldom got caught-out, if I did I just pretended to be having a dumb moment! Like I'd watch to see where a speaker opened his bible for a book like Nehamiah, open mine about the same place and just flick...

And the silly think was, I was taken serioulsy! What a joke! I'd have been an elder by now for sure if I'd have stayed around. What a wanker I was...

Toward the end, I started to take advantage of leading the FS group. I'd take the sacrifice of working alone so everyone else could have a partner (after carfully arranging the group to make odd numbers). Then I'd walk to the door and just stand there. If I was being watched, I'd knock on the bricks. It worked but the only interesting part of it was manipulating the group so I could play my games and get away with it.

So, if your FS leader does odd things... talk to him, he may be an apostate too!!!! ;-)

You have any other silly little rebelions??

Cheers

• Satanus
    Satanus

Knocking on bricks!! LOL That's good for a laugh.

SS

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Max, are these smart or dumb secrets? "For there is nothing hidden that will not become manifest, neither anything carefully concealed that will never become known and never come into the open." Luke 8:17

Guest 77

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Knocking on the brick. That's cool. I am still doing it. Or how about a side entrance. You can just walk around the corner for a few minutes while the others finish the street.

How about this one. You go to the door with elder x, and you make it to the door before him and place your body so that he cannot see. Then you press beside the doorbell, so and say "Ding Dong". He then thinks you heard the bell and were repeating. (The fool)

You wait a few mins and talk to each other, then move on. He thinks you were so zealous that YOU had to go to the door first. He, on the other hand was trying NOT to go to the door and wanted YOU to take the door.

All is well, and it's off to the coffie shop, never having actually faced anyone. Mark down only the odd house as NOT HOME and nobody's the wiser.

• BATHORY
    BATHORY

WOW, i didnt expect that from the BX man himself...hittin the piss this mornin are we BX ??

WOW no wonder you guys left !!

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

Have done that Field Service thing forever. Always pretend to ring the doorbell. Sometimes knock but never loud enough to be heard. And if someone did come to the door,instead of giving that presentation I would just hand them a tract and ask them to read this. End of presentation. But always watch you back.

diamond

• amccullough
    amccullough

Wow! Aren't you a lot of tricky little buggers! I'd also be proud if I was able to pull off such feats of trickery. I wish I was able to do similar things, maybe I could have cheated my way through school as well.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"What a wanker I was..."

You said it pal!

We have all wasted time "On the work", but to deliberately block your mind to scripture is mindless.

• borgfree
    borgfree

When I was in my early teens, and preteens, I was forced to "study" the Watchtower, by myself. Those of you old enough will remember those Big Watchtowers, without pictures and certainly not written for kids. So I developed a method of studying to get through them faster. I would look for words in the paragraph that were also in the questions and underline them. It worked most of the time.

I told two young pioneers that story when I was in my twenties and they said they used that method even then.

Borgfree

"True patriotism doesn't exclude an understanding of the patriotism of others" Queen Elizabeth II
  • Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Hi - Been out for a while, so took a while to reply... thanks for your comments

Borgfree - Well done! I ended up just making random marks with a highlighter! That was real quick!

BluesBro - LOL... Well, I'd say I had as good a handle on the concepts and ideas as anyone... Just never wanted to memorise them all (don't know my times tables either, but landed in the 90th Percentile at uni)

AMcC - Wouldn't bother cheating on anything worthwhile like school. To much grief in the end that get's you nowhere in the end... Playing games with the JW stuff at least lets you have a laugh!

DIAMOND - what a gem!

BX - Wow, that's getting elaborate! At least you have somthing to amuse yurself with doing the 'work'!

Guest 77 - Yeah, I'm caught and facing the great pit of eternal death down the local crematorium... Smart or Dumb? Well, being out there was Dumb. Stopping going out was Smart. Tricking around was the learning process.

SS - Going on RV's alone (Mc Donalds) or with my wife (ie: home, and to bed if very lucky!) was even better!

Cheers all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit