Was the Verdict of the Candace Conti lawsuit a Win-Win for the WTS?

by rip van winkle 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Why did the WTS not try to settle this lawsuit before going to trial as they had so many times previously? Was it presumptiousness on the part of the Society's lawyers and GB? Had this been settled it would have hardly caused a whimper.

It got me to thinking that although the verdict of $28 million is unheard of, it may actually further the WTS to make their claims that they are the only true religion.

Reason being- if the monetary award is overturned then they will say it was Jehovahs will. Like in France when the Gov't tried to have the society pay $50 mil (not sure if that is the right amount) but that was overturned- approx 18 yrs later.

If the WTS verdict is upheld then they will say it is Satan who is trying to destroy the Society and this is the proof we're so close to the end.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Rip:

If I understand correctly, Ms. Conti refused to settle, in part, to effect changes in Society policy. There may have been attempts by the WT to settle initially.

CC

• james_woods
    james_woods

No. It was lose-lose.

• okage
    okage

if i read the exhibit chart properly the society tried to settle twice. unlike the rhetoric of jws hearing about this case candace conti wasnt in it for money.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

I know CC wanted the Society to change the way it handles abuse cases. That seemed to be her motivation. But they never really accept responsibility for their errors in judgement.

But no matter the outcome- whether the WTS will have to pay-out this sum of money, or whether the award will be over turned, I just think they will ultimately use it as an advantage- somehow.

• sizemik
    sizemik

This isn't going to win the WTS anything. A publicised connection with child-molestation has no positives at all, whatever happens.

The only positive spin will be swallowed by those who will swallow everything anyway.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

If the WTS verdict is upheld then they will say it is Satan who is trying to destroy the Society and this is the proof we're so close to the end.

There are some issues that the Society could successfully spin that way. Neutrality issues for example, such as voting, military service, and flag saluting. These involve personal choices that mostly revolve around freedom of religion.

The Candace Conti case is different because it involves child molesting and policies that keep congrgation members from knowing who the molesters in their midst are, thus increasing the risk of children being victimized. It will be much more difficult to spin that into being "persecuted by Satan" than some of the other issues.

The tide of public opinion is currently running very high against molesters and those who cover up for them. As masterful as the Society is at spinning the facts, I think it is between a rock and a hard place on this one, and agree with james-woods; it's lose-lose for Watchtower.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Big Loss. Did you notice the token amount of money she sued for...1,444.00? WTBT$ has been lumped together with all the other molest cases this week..in the press..and in the public's mind. You can not be the "shining beacon on the hill"..as a child molester..even prisoners want to kill them ..lowest of the low in the criminal world. I used to be able to travel as a Bethelite in the toughest neigborhoods in NYC...as long as they knew I was a JW..I was respected and left alone. I wonder if that will be true for Bethelites NOW ? If would think twice about what I ate or drank this week if out in service...AND I would take my badge off if eating out after a convention. A dash of spit, dish soap, or something else might be in the food depending on the servers experience with JWs and world view.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Depends if you're talking about how die-hard JWs, see it or how others see it.

• Diest
    Diest

I dont think that they will win much of a verdict reduction. Compensitory damages with a 3x multiple for punitive damages has been held up.

The real issues as far as I can tell was did the WTS have a duty of care in the case, because it happened before manditory reporting was law. They also have a clergy privlidge issue that I dont think is a winner, but could win.

Overall I think this is a Lose-lose. The facts of the case stand on their own. Candace Conti was molested by a man that the WTS knew about before it happend. Legal issues aside, they still protected a predator. Getting that info out is key.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit