Candace Conti - Preparing For The Appeal

by Joe Grundy 33 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The ACLU will not do it. Appeals are limited to the trial record. Appellate courts almost always focus on the legal rulings of the trial judge. The belief is that the witnesses do not tesitfy before the appeals court. They cannot see body language, hear voice inflections, --the trial judge and jury saw that. It will focus on whether legally the WT can be found liable. The trial judge, in deciding that the case could go forth, held a summary judgment motion. If all the facts that Conti pleaded could be proven satisfactorily, would the WT have liability? I don't know whether this was a maverick judge. If it truly was the first case to impose liability, chances are the verdict will be overturned. Every once in a long while, though, the law changes.

I would think that whether the WT has liability should be matter for the CA legislature. Someone reported here that CA is not a mandatory reporting state for penance purposes. I found that shocking b/c California in countless areas of law has been the forerunner for the rest of the country. It serves as a valuable lab for other states to see the pragmatic effects of a progressive change. Laywers joke about CA law b/c it is so different from the rest of the country.

Do JWs engage in penitient activities with JW ministers (not clelrgy) or do they engage in counselling, where mandatory reporting does exist.

The momentum seems to be to carve out an exemption of the usually absolute clergy/penbitent privilege.

This case will be decided by the CA appellate courts. We could do much to support a national trend, however, by writing letters to the editor, opinion pieces, calling in to topical talk shows, etc. I wonder if the Roman Catholic groups would embrace us since we have common cause.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

most reports and letters to and from the society regarding child abuse in congregations are destroyed - this is WT policy.

the comforting fact is that Barbara Anderson is working with Candace's attorney. this gives me confidence that no stone will be left unturned in refuting the society's appeal.

eidt: okay, having read botr's post I'm going to defer to her summation.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

That is an awsome offer Joe!

• cofty
    cofty

Joe you have a unique set of skills as an ex-detective and ex-JW.

Please let us know if the lawyer accepts your offer.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Just spoke to Candace's law firm.

The charming young lady confirmed that the appeal court will review only the material that was submitted at trial and thus there is no opportunity for re-interrogating witnesses, etc., so no, I can't be of much help. But I've left my contact details and am available if required.

Just to clarify, no I never was a dub. I was raised in the (Open) Plymouth Brethren but have been an atheist for many years.

And to repeat my offer - I am now retired but have a lot of experience in child abuse cases. I am able to be self-funding and offer any help I can to those who need it.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Joe I'm sending you a PM shortly.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Joe,

That’s a fine offer. Your training and experience would no doubt be useful toward cracking into the register of information complied and meticulously maintained within the bowel of Watchtower’s Service Department.

Sooner or later that database will come out. If Watchtower is smart it’ll stage the event itself. Otherwise the legacy will be unsurvivable for the religion.

What you write about asking the right question the right way is important. This is one reason for the recent article published at my web site about the same Allen Shuster you cite. (Shuster’s Tale http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2012/06/shusters-tale.html

The man took an oath to tell the truth and, in my opinion, shamelessly lied.

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

Joe that is a very kind and generous offer.

• Chemical Emotions
  • mind blown
    mind blown

Joe sent you more info in PM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit