A real cause of demon possession

by Terry 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

http://www.aol.com/video/the-cancer-that-causes-you-to-become-possessed/517395896/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl28|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D171264

Notice from her comments that this woman is a very well-indoctrinated Christian. In her world view this is as close to demon possession

as anybody would ever want to get. However, it is an actual medical condition so rare physician's were quick to make "other" guesses.

Contrast the WRONG views of both the religious person and the scientific doctors in diagnosing the cause of the hallucinations.

Not until actual TESTS were made was the actual source of the problem correctly dealt with.

Food for thought!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I remember in my youth that a C.O and a sister went on an RV and the lady started acting strangely, speaking in a weird way, foaming at the mouth etc and the C.O thought it was Demon possession clear and simple, the sister had the sense to call an ambulance, turns out the poor lady was having a stroke.

The medieval beliefs in demons and ghosts etc that some people hold can be harmful, if it delays getting medical treatment.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Note also how she is still deluded but the medical profession got it right. Nothing like live but don't learn.

• Diest
    Diest

Qcmbr, you always make me laugh with your insightful and whity comments.

• Terry
    Terry

There is an old and awkward expression that goes: "perception is reality". We are in love with our own world view, pet theory, sense of life and understanding of how things "are".

But, we are very often wrong.

Everybody gets to be wrong. But, when you ARE wrong it can be a wonderful opportunity to reboot your understanding.

WHY were we wrong? What did we believe that needs to be tossed out or modified?

Intellectual honesty means being ever willing to BE wrong and to change one's mind.

Defending the faith mostly comes down to refusal to admit what we strongly believe is totally false and at odds with the facts.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The possibilities:

Mistakes. Many people mistake normal noises for "demon possession". Wind, an animal, or thermal expansion and contraction all cause weird noises that people mistake for demons. Also, if you get jarred out of sleep just as you are starting to sleep, there is a chance you will think you are hearing things. While I was in college, I once experienced this phenomenon--and refused medication because I recognized that it was a disrupted dream fragment.

Mental illness. Some people actually hallucinate out of control, and can think it's demons. It is not.

Angels. Yes, angels. These scumbags love to attack and harass people and then blame the demons. Usually, the people will run to Jesus or Jehovah, which is what the angels wanted. The attacks recur whenever the angels wish to extort more out of the victim.

Now, given that Satan risked so much to try and liberate mankind, why would He want to later harass and attack us?

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

There is no Satan. Only the ancestral fear of the dark and of the unknown.

• designs
    designs

When I was a kid Levi's hanging out of the closet at night turned into raging Lions, only hiding under the sheets saved me

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Religionists, Christians and especially JW's love to say the best trick the devil plays is making you think he doesn't exist.

To that I say, and the best trick religion plays is making you think he does.

Think about it, quite sobering isn't it?

DLL

• OldGenerationDude
    OldGenerationDude

Even a group like the Roman Catholic Church--a religion that wants people to believe in God and angels and demons--takes a very reserved view of its own exorcism practices and history.

While admitedly a lot one finds in the media is sensationalized--usually presented around Halloween in the United States, for example--there is very little that the Catholic Church admits to being authentic in the various demon possession cases commonly reported. The 2005 film entitled The Exorcism of Emily Rose, while based on an actual case, is dramatized to make the event of "possession" seem real. In reality the official view of the Catholic Church is closer to what is seen in the 2006 film Requiem, where the "victim" is actually suffering from epilepsy and the conclusion of "possession" by her priest and family is against findings made by Church authority.

While admittedly the Catholic Church would be happy to have many more believing in the same thing it does, it is never quick to come to the conclusion of authentic demon possession. Even the so-called "best known case" of Roland Doe (which inspired the famous film The Exorcist) is itself considered exaggerated by members of the Church.

While there is no intent in this writing to insult theists or those who believe in demon possesion, I do present this added facet as additional food for thought since the so-called experts in exorcism themselves aren't as enthusiatic as others to jump to conclusions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit