What are us baby boomers in for ? your opinions please !

by caliber 26 Replies latest jw friends

• James Brown
    James Brown

I am a boomer. I dont know what today holds, let alone tomorrow. I am 60. I escaped the tower at 31. I paid my

house off at 40. I retired at 59. I go to the gym 5 days a week. I dont drink much, maybe 2 to 4 beers on the weekend.

I started down sizing back in 83. Paid cash for everything.

As far as investing I made money in the stock market and banks from Reagan to Clinton.

Nowadays I dont see how to invest in the stock market. If somebody knows please tell me.

It's been going sideways since Clinton left office. Bank CD's right now are 2%.

I'm planing on living off my social security.

My taxes are 600$ a year.

I'm sitting here without any air on in Tampa there is a breeze under the overhead fan in the middle of June.

Last months Electric was 100$

I wont have any health insurance until medicare starts at 66. So I have to stay healthy until then.

And if I'm not healthy. I will die, that will be a new adventure.

When I retired my blood pressure went down now its 130 over 72.

• caliber
    caliber

Thanks for all your comments everyone... even the humorous ones... that alone keeps one healthier so

I have heard but they even have killed this idea.. (but then again one study will often shows another study wrong it seems to me !)

All published research examining effects of humor and laughter on physical health is reviewed. Potential causal mechanisms and methodological issues are discussed. Laboratory experiments have shown some effects of exposure to comedy on several components of immunity, although the findings are inconsistent and most of the studies have methodological problems. There is also some evidence of analgesic effect of exposure to comedy, although similar findings are obtained with negative emotions. Few significant correlations have been found between trait measures of humor and immunity, pain tolerance, or self-reported illness symptoms. There is also little evidence of stress-moderating effects of humor on physical health variables and no evidence of increased longevity with greater humor. More rigorous and theoretically informed research is needed before firm conclusions can be drawn about possible health benefits of humor and laughter.

PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved

Seems attitude would be the biggest factor here

• Razziel
    Razziel

(but then again one study will often shows another study wrong it seems to me !)

That's because they are often false to begin with!

• Glander
    Glander

James Brown -

• talesin
    talesin

I feel the same as Razzy, and for about 20 years now, have felt that our society is going the way of the Roman empire. The poor being forced into ghettos, costs of education rising, and the takeover of our governments by the corporations, are all indications to me, that our capitalistic society is imploding.

Those boomers who were wise enough, and healthy enough, to prepare for their later years, may fare well. Those of us who have been less fortunate, or more foolish, will not have a comfortable 'old age'.

That being said, take what joy you can from today, whether it be the song of a bird, a good meal, or the companionship of a cherished friend. Make art, have a laugh, and most of all, love!

xo

tal

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I 2nd that James-Brown

Well in the US I think health care is going to implode! That is a word right? I think it will be "the money will talk". Medicare/medicade will cease to exist so will social security and disability. That may sound harsh but I just don't see how the "slightly younger then baby boomers" will be able to pay it all...

the care just won't be there. I'll take care of all my JWN baby boomers though

• caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit