WTS pays 7.56 Mil, Congregation 3.64 Mil; Kendrick (perpetrator) 16.8 MIL

by blondie 12 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

The court documents indicate that the $28 million is to come from the following sources;

Kendrick (perpetrator) 60% = $16.8 million

WTB&TS of NY 27% = $7.56 million

Fremont congregation of JW 13% = $3.64 million.

(per sir82)

• cofty
    cofty

Thats a surprise. I thought the WTS was to pay all the punitive damages.

• cedars
    cedars

I think it's generally assumed that the Society will have to pick up the tab for Fremont congregation, because there's no way the congregation has a spare $3.64 million in its back pocket.

I wouldn't mind seeing clarification in writing though...

Cedars

• DT
    DT

I believe that was the division percentages of the original $7,000,000 compensatory damages. I thought I heard that the entire $21,000,001 punitive damages was owed by the Watchtower Society.

• blondie
  • paladin
    paladin

If this is a fact, I would hate to be one of the those accused. This is shocking.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I hope they go after EVERYONE. The perp, the elders, the congregation, and WTBS. If individuals feel the pain they caused a child, it will have an impact.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

When Sir82 posted that breakdown, it was early in receiving information about the judgement. Since then there have been posts suggesting the original compensatory damages ($7 million) are to be divided between Kendrick, Watchtower, and the Congregation, but that the entire $21 million of punitive damages would be paid by Watchtower.

The MSNBC article said this in the 3rd paragraph,

"The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ legal entity, is responsible for the entire punitive damages amount and 40 percent of the compensatory damages, said Rick Simons, attorney for the plaintiff. Sixty percent of the compensatory damages was assessed against Jonathan Kendrick, the man accused of abusing her."

The article is here,

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/15/12225753-jehovahs-witnesses-ordered-to-pay-more-than-20-million-to-woman-who-said-she-was-sexually-abused?lite

Of course news articles can be wrong too, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Watchtower is on the hook for the whole $21 Million in punitive damages.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

The 7,000,000 compensatory damages was against Watchtower (NY corp), the JW congregation and Kendrick.

The 20,000,001 punitive damages was against the Watchtower (NY corp) only.

See documents at Verdicts for $28,000,001 against Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2012/06/verdicts-for-28000001-against.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• sf
    sf

{ i told you this thread needs to be dumped, it's confusing}

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit