Does anyone know where, or what happened to Fred and April Fredean? They where our old circuit overseers in Chicago in the sixties and I was friends when I was at bethel with them.

by hepcat 12 Replies latest jw friends

• hepcat
  • FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi hepcat,

No, I don't know those folks. However, I was in one of your neighboring states (Marshalltown, Iowa) in the sixties. Our young (in his late 20's) circuit overseer, a Paul Valenzuela, was (I thought) from the Chicago area.

Check out my Bethel (and CO's and DO's, etc) list. You are now included and become number 83.

Len Miller

• life is to short
    life is to short

My husband knew Fred at Bethel and when ever they came out to the Pacific Northwest to give a talk at the summer convention, April always made it a point to come up and talk to us. She was extremely kind and a genuine person. The last I saw them was around 2008? She said Fred had cancer and was not doing well. He had lost a ton of weight and it was visible.

I hope that she is doing OK. She really was nice.

LITS

• hepcat
    hepcat

Thank you fatfreak, although can I find out who the 83 are? I would be interested.

life is to short, thank you for the info. When Fred and April were staying with us once in Chicago my sister and I about 6 and 7 years were looking under the crack of the bedroom door trying to find out what Fred and April were up to when they opened it and embarassed us. Ha, ha. Sorry about Fred. Our short dance here on earth is full of beauty and monstrousities, knowing Fred he will be philosophical.

• palmtree67
  • hepcat
    hepcat

Thank you palmtree67. I had never heard of Tom Cabeen and I just read his biobraphy. Although I never could swallow the pill of cathalicism as he does, I sure do love their stained glass and their old cathedrals.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi hepcat,

Thank you fatfreak, although can I find out who the 83 are? I would be interested.

Check out my original post and that sentence with the blue-colored text. That is a hyperlink. Simply left click it and you will open the document.

Keep in mind that list is one of handles (like hepcat), not their real names. Tom Cabeen uses his name as his handle but that's unusual. If you'd like to communicate with any of them simply copy their handle and look for it under "members" above, where you can PM (private message) them.

Len

• TallaulahB
    TallaulahB

Weird. There was an elder in my congo, Eldon Fredean (wife Merri Kay), who I believe is Fred's brother-- I seem to remember meeting him at some point as a kid. Eldon was probably one of my more favorite elders; just a sweet, circumspect and thoughtful guy. Merri Kay was a bit cranky, but I think that stemmed from her being a little too smart for her own britches. I can probably find out in a roundabout what Eldon is up to, if you are really interested, and possibly more if I dig for a bit.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

When I was at Bethel Fred was assigned to be the floor overseer of building 2 floor 6 at the factory. According to Tom Cabeen he designed some very good bindery equipment, and then "Black Friday" (or was it Thursday?) came and 3 former Circuit Overseers who had come to Bethel and got together and suggested some changes at Bethel, including Fred Fredean, Fred Maes and another guy. Knorr and Larson were not happy. Knorr's punishment to Fredean was to run his own machines like a bindery boy for a long time.

Bering somewhat self-righteous at the time (1977-1978), listening to Fred's daily diatribes against the WT leadership bothered me a lot... but I just mostly ignored him. We were both Bethel elders.

Then came the Franz incident. Fred Fredean made a 180 degree turn, and so did I. He became the SR (self-righteous), waiting to turn in the apostates, and I and Tom and Jim Petrie used to crack up over his sudden change of heart (or a new brown-nose opportunity). I felt he was a coward, like Swingle turned out to be.

It's amazing how so many of us changed at that time from one side to the other.

There are many WT elders just chomping at the bit to "seize the day," and quite a few of them are at Bethel. Sectarianism lies at the door.

Randy

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Fred and April stayed with my parents when my mother was pregnant with me. She told my mother that if she could have a daughter she would name her Bethany. So that is how my name came to be...

So happy to have you here Hepcat (BTW-Hepcat is my oldest brother)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit