Hutterites Shunned for education and high school sports

by puffthedragon 19 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Twitch:

Thanks for the information.

While there are similarities between this group, the Amish and the JWs, what is most important is that the Amish and Hutterites each live on their own and are self-sustaining communities. This is the crucial difference between them and the JW religion.

The JW religion likes to pretend that it is a little village in ancient Israel, when the reality is that you have to go out into the world and support yourself. You are not on some commune living off the land!! An education is necessary. So, for the JWs to discourage college education is ridiculous and shows how out-of-touch they are with the reality of the world.

• shamus100
    shamus100

If you've got blue eyes and blonde hair here (male) they want your sperm. They'll pay you.

The gene pool is pretty slim on them thar' colonies.

(being serious)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The parallels to Witness life keep striking me. The shows strike me as very staged. The Amish stick to their principle of not being filmed. The Hutteries obviously have no such ban. The mother seems so strange, This one family is very outspoken against the colony yet they remain. The elders appear on camera. Rather than truly being shunned, her gfs come to console her, includig in the minister's wife. The sex scenes or racy scenes with the teenagers are filmed with the full knowledge that the elders will view the footage. It sounds like a very commercial operation by a relaxed group to bring in revenue.

Both the exAmish and the Hutterite show reveal little of the religious principles and practices underlying their faith.

I was very worked up hearing high school and sports as evil. What will happen if her children continue to give way to their mom's need to be part of the community.

It shows that doctrine is not important. WT doctrine does not dicate the overreaching by the Society. Control freaks grab power regardless of doctrine.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

DO THEY ACCEPT MODERN MEDICAL TREATMENT WHEN NECESSARY - INCLUDING BLOOD TRANSFUSION AND ORGAN TRANSPLANT?

If they do then they are merely play acting a game of " we are innocent sweet little ones going to HEAVEN"

Did anybody see the film "The Village" about a fundamentalist Amish style cult? I wont spoil the ending.

Witlesses are play acting in a far more sinister way...

HB

• shamus100
    shamus100

A menonite got in trouble recently because he kept his son in a box for two months because he was 'bad'. ;P

• Twitch
    Twitch
    While there are similarities between this group, the Amish and the JWs, what is most important is that the Amish and Hutterites each live on their own and are self-sustaining communities. This is the crucial difference between them and the JW religion
    The JW religion likes to pretend that it is a little village in ancient Israel, when the reality is that you have to go out into the world and support yourself. You are not on some commune living off the land!! An education is necessary. So, for the JWs to discourage college education is ridiculous and shows how out-of-touch they are with the reality of the world.

Agreed. Even more so in the case of an young Hutterite, where gender and societal rules are even further defined, expected and enforced and who may even be more isolated from the modern world than your average jw. Just a personal observation and opinion .

If you've got blue eyes and blonde hair here (male) they want your sperm. They'll pay you.

Low on the rent, were you? Do tell...

You sure you ain't perpetuating a myth there, Serious George?

Both the exAmish and the Hutterite show reveal little of the religious principles and practices underlying their faith.

I do know the Hutterites are of the old school "work hard" protestant ethic but are more "relaxed" and progressive than the Amish. They've embraced technology that increases farming efficiency and operation, even to the point of inventing and patenting specialized farming implements, as opposed to horse and buggy traditionalism and complete rejecction of modern technology typical of the Amish.

As for belief, there's no deviance in doctrine or belief among Hutterites, and little or no change. They believe in heaven or hell as an afterlife eventuality, but as for doctrinal specifics, I couldn't say. Work hard, live simply, praise jesus.

Their beliefs reject the influence of the modern world and it's practise limits their exposure to it, severely.

DO THEY ACCEPT MODERN MEDICAL TREATMENT WHEN NECESSARY - INCLUDING BLOOD TRANSFUSION AND ORGAN TRANSPLANT?

To my knowledge, yes. I never heard of any refusal of treatment optioins and medical care is one thing they rely on the outside world for.

A menonite got in trouble recently because he kept his son in a box for two months because he was 'bad'. ;P

Crazy talk. Ain't no Mennonites in Bolivia. Their homebase is Estevan, SK. Please...

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

http://www.hutterites.org/ This website will give you the pure and unadultrated version of their unconditional love.

We have generalized them into the Anabaptist movement, I remember reading how these marginalized religions were being attacked or their deviation from Calvin and Luther's teachings. The same way Arminism was villified by the anti-Arminism movements with the Dutch-Holland countries of the late 1600s to mid 1700s, my Anabaptist history is rusty. They do not get involved in politics, do not kill, take care of their commune. Good post Puff!

http://www.hutterites.org/day-to-day/education/secondary-education/

• shamus100
    shamus100

Twitch,

I am being 100 percent serious.

• awaken2004
    awaken2004

I knew nothing of Hutterites before this show. As someone said here they do seem to be a more relaxed or open group. The situations do seemd staged but it is "reality tv" after all.

My fiance and I love the show and cannot wait until next season. :) Claudia and her mother are my favorites. The mother has genuine love for her kids. Too bad the mom (Bertha) is mentally and physically trapped in that world.

Claudia is going to college! :)

• hoser
    hoser

Hutterites live double lives too. Just like jehovahs witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit