Amusing converstion with mother about evolution

by not bitter 13 Replies latest jw friends

• not bitter
    not bitter

Sorry if I waffle

Sunday my 5 year old daughter and I watched a few episodes back to back of ‘Walking with Monsters’ it’s a documentary of life before dinosaurs. Our early beginnings. We both really enjoyed it. So Monday she tells my JW mother all about it and her opening words were ‘’I know how we got here and it wasn’t from God’’

My mother is telling me all this and saying how shocked she was that such a young child was showing an interest in evolution and that in not so many words, I was wrong to let her learn such things. I can’t remember everything that was said between us but she then said to me ‘’I mean you don’t believe in evolution do you’’ to which I replied ‘’Yes I do’’

Anyway, a few things were said she claimed that many scientists don’t believe in evolution to which I asked her ‘’which scientists? And you only ever read society literature and they quote out of context’’ She replied that she does read other literature about science. I asked her what she’d read and she said ‘’I can’t think off the top of my head but I have’’

I had to chuckle to myself at this.

I know I’m not going to convince my mother and I don’t want to. I’ll never win. She is happy in her beliefs.

The funny part was when we got home my daughter told me that nana told her evolution was wrong so I had to tell her that people believe all different things and she can learn about all those things and make her own mind up. Then she came out with a corker

‘’well I believe in everything – the Loch Ness monster, God, the Queen, Prince Charles and the abominable snowman!’’

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Sounds like a great kid ! fine sense of humour !

I would explain to her the difference between belief and science, and what a Scientific Theory is,and is not, she may be young, but you will be amazed at what the young understand and can grasp in a flash.

Tell her that it is best not to believe in anything without solid proof, proof that stands up to questions and proper scrutiny.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

‘’well I believe in everything – the Loch Ness monster, God, the Queen, Prince Charles and the abominable snowman!’’

LOL! that is a classic

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Sounds like you got a good kid there.

I had a chuckle at your mum being annoyed with you for letting your daughter watch that show. Comeon, as IF she'd say the same thing about that crappy Sparlock DVD, or the Creation one. What's wrong with learning about life? Secondly, did she even look at the My Book of Bible Stories? She's worried your daughter is 'too young' to learn about evolution, howabout 'too young' to read stories about murder/genocide/death?

• not bitter
    not bitter

When I told my mum that I wanted my child to learn about evolution/science and religion so she could make an informed decision when she is old enough, mum replied ''well yes, of course''

I wanted to say ''you did with us mum.'' But I refrained

• tec
    tec

I love kids :)

Peace,

tammy

• not bitter
    not bitter

That should have read

''like you did with us mum''

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

5 year olds are soooo cute. I hope you're getting this on camera. It's pure gold to share with them when they get older.

• not bitter
    not bitter

I keep a journal of all the hilarious things she says. Its very long!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

During Jesus' time, people were less than 5' tall. If you look at sr. high school, you will notice most kids well over 6' tall.

Looks like humans have evolved to some extent.

Besides, who says God did not invent evolution?

I remember some religious person I know recently said that dinosaur bones were placed to confuse humans. Like the CREATOR is a joker? Not likely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit