What are "Super Friends" in JW speak?

by InterestedOne 8 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I noticed the term "super friends" in another thread about JW & Christian lingo. Can someone explain what it might mean?

My JW acquaintance refers to her fellow JW's as her "best friends" presumably to differentiate JW's from her non-JW acquaintances. This allows her to freely throw around the word "friends" to refer to her non-JW acquaintances without them knowing any better. Is this the idea behind "super friends," or does the term refer to something else?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

LoL, visions of 70's Saturday morning cartoons are dancing in my head.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Wonder twins activate! Maybe that's where Caleb's "activate your magic Sparlock!" came from.

• red21
    red21

Over 40 years baptized and never heard that term with any special meaning...but different regions might come up with a unique term or something?

• blondie
    blondie

I never heard this but I do remember being corrected when I called a non-jw person a "friend" and was told that non-jws could only be "acquaintances."

*** w92 6/1 p. 24 Jehovah—Your Acquaintance or Your Friend? ***One dictionary defines “acquaintance” as “a person with whom one has had some social contact but for whom one has no strong personal attachment.” It indicates “less familiarity, closeness, fellowship, and well-wishing than FRIEND.”

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Marvel and DC comic lover, been around this block for five decades and never heard this lingo either! Could you be thinking of "Super-Rigtheous Friends?"

@Blondie: why do they feel the need to monitor our vocabulary? The "super-righteous" corrected me when I used the word "friend" for anyone outside the JW Worldview. Were you corrected for saying "lucky, fortunate or Hoorah?" I was!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I noticed the term "super friends" in another thread about JW & Christian lingo

Can you provide a link to the original thread so the context may be more clear??

• InterestedOne
  • talesin
    talesin

BA - it is a trait of cults that they use what is called 'loaded language', and have special terms; eg, worldly, get-togethers, erg, my mind is going blank, but there's lots more. It is important to the controllers that the language of the cultists is, like everything in their lives, rigidly controlled. That is why the 'flock' needs to be corrected on their terminology - it enforces that they are different from the 'worldlies', and is one more thing that reminds them they are imperfect and must constantly be watchful of their thoughts, behaviours and words.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit